Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Rise of The Mc-Blackbelt: Rashad Evans Receives Meaningless Belt

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
i just want to commend AnDeRsonDaSiLvA on his knowledge of JJ and his well argued points, i was unable to write that in his props so i wanted to say it publicly

anyway, i agree with those defending Rashad. we don't know what his JJ level in in pure grappling, and, as others have said, if a Gracie is backing you that belt is legitimate. he has obvious grappling ability, and as a talented wrestler he can pick up JJ rather quickly. also, i am a big proponent of no-gi JJ and i think it is absurd to say that you need to be trained in a gi to have the skills of a black belt. just because he has not attempted any submissions in MMA has absolutely 0 influence on whether or not he deserves a black belt. people have to realize that JJ and MMA are two completely different animals and that if a Gracie is backing up Rashad, i will consider him legitimate.

Post #16   1/6/10 12:35:58AM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,894-1,593
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
If Rashad got his blackbelt from Rolles Gracie, it's legit.

Post #17   1/7/10 12:22:27PM   

dstlvb

MMA Regular

dstlvb Avatar

Career:373-248
Chips:
Ive told the guys i watch UFC fights with for a while now that saying a guy is a BB means nothing. You need to know who gave it to them. I think Rashad is simply the guy at the time we can point to that we feel represents what is happening in BJJ. An instructor in my area got his BB from a big name Gracie even though he had won no major comps from Blue Belt on. While my instructor won mulitple world championships at all belt levels and it took longer for him to get his BB. Is my instructor better. Maybe. They both might have aquired the same knowledge, but he might not be good in comps. My instructor is going to get a higher level of respect since he proved it. I sense Rashad and alot of guys coiming along now are going to be looked at as lower tier BB until they do it in BJJ comps.

Last edited 1/7/10 4:31PM server time by dstlvb
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #18   1/7/10 4:27:25PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by dstlvb

Ive told the guys i watch UFC fights with for a while now that saying a guy is a BB means nothing. You need to know who gave it to them. I think Rashad is simply the guy at the time we can point to that we feel represents what is happening in BJJ. An instructor in my area got his BB from a big name Gracie even though he had won no major comps from Blue Belt on. While my instructor won mulitple world championships at all belt levels and it took longer for him to get his BB. Is my instructor better. Maybe. They both might have aquired the same knowledge, but he might not be good in comps. My instructor is going to get a higher level of respect since he proved it. I sense Rashad and alot of guys coiming along now are going to be looked at as lower tier BB until they do it in BJJ comps.

Or gogoplata your ass in the Octagon, that would make me a believer. hehe

Post #19   1/7/10 5:51:44PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Wow you guys have beaten this one to death. As a hardcore fan I have to BELIEVE that the Gracie lineage would carry some weight here, and Rashads belt is legit.

Post #20   1/7/10 6:13:16PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,259-1,266
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Rolles weighs in here ...but I don't think he really sheds much light on anything.

Post #21   1/8/10 2:49:13PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
There are plenty of black belt jiu jitsu guys who don't have the most stellar submission output. However, their control and avoidance of subs is definitely something to be reckoned with. I think the idea that someone has to pull off subs back to back in the Octagon a la Demian Maia in order to be considered a legit black belt is incorrect.

When you face a truly great BJJ practicioner you will not be able to do anything. They'll always control the position and they'll always nullify your attacks. From what I've seen of Rashad he does both of those pretty well. Am I saying he's on the level of BJ Penn or Demian Maia? Hell no. But do I think he's black belt level? Hell yes. I guarantee you that if you put Rashad into a black belt competition he would hold his own. He might not win it all, but just being able to win a match or two in competition vs. other black belts says something about your skill level.

Besides- I bet Rashad has put more work into his BJJ in those 4 years than most of those guys who train for 6 years to get theirs do. He's a full time fighter.

Post #22   1/8/10 4:09:25PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,878-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
This is similar to the Jon Fitch blackbelt situation . If you cant submit them, than they deserve the belt in my opinion.

Granted ive seen Rashad out grappled by Hoger, but that was awhile ago and i would hope rashad has improved that part of his game since then.

Post #23   1/9/10 4:13:27PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2