Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White Does Not-Repeat, Does Not-Condemn Aoki Actions

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
UFC president Dana White says he’s the first guy to call “freak show” when he sees a match-up that shouldn’t happen. But when it comes to the behavior of fighters inside the cage, he’s far more forgiving. At least if you’re not Brock Lesnar. When it came to the subject of Shinya Aoki’s bad-boy turn, however, White was reluctant to issue condemnation. “This isn’t (expletive) baseball or one of these other sports,” White said at a gathering of reporters after Saturday’s UFC 108. “Sometimes these guys hate each other. When you break a guy’s arm that you hate, flip him off, and let him know you’re glad you broke his arm, I guess, it happens sometimes.
“It’s not the greatest sportsmanship, but, ‘oh, that guy is terrible, he’s a horrible man and he shouldn’t fight anymore,’ this is the fight business, man. Crazy stuff happens in the fight business sometimes.” Aoki gave Hirota a "Stone Cold Salute" immediately after their fight at Fields Dynamite!! on 12/31.

Article

Post #1   1/4/10 10:11:07AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
He's right, it's not a good thing but it's fighting and some times it gets emotional. I think Brocks was a little different though, I don't blame Dana for being pissed about that one.

Post #2   1/4/10 10:14:06AM   

FilipovicFan

Learning to Sprawl

Career:693-321
Chips:
If anyone shouldn't of been given another chance after what they've done, it's Gilbert Yvel.

I was shocked when I heard he was signed.

Post #3   1/4/10 11:23:20AM   

John_Jobber

MMA Regular

John_Jobber Avatar

Career:430-261
Chips:
This article says to me that Dana is shopping Aoki.

And to me at least, a PRO fighter should act that way at all time - PROFESSIONAL. I'm a huge Nick Diaz fan, granted, but really this seems worse to me to give a finger after breaking someone's arm than a post fight situation where there's tension.

Yes, hate can be harnessed as a tool, but after you break someone's arm, the pro thing to is let that wave pass. I'm saying hate can be a cardio bump, or even a training tool, but as soon as the ref calls the fight all hatred should cease since it is no longer necessary.

edit: wootwoot 100 posts! only took me almost 3 years! lol

Last edited 1/4/10 11:30AM server time by john_jobber
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   1/4/10 11:29:17AM   

benshirk

Learning to Sprawl

benshirk Avatar

Career:340-231
Camp: The Bonus Hole
Chips:

Posted by John_Jobber

And to me at least, a PRO fighter should act that way at all time - PROFESSIONAL. I'm a huge Nick Diaz fan, granted, but really this seems worse to me to give a finger after breaking someone's arm than a post fight situation where there's tension.

Yes, hate can be harnessed as a tool, but after you break someone's arm, the pro thing to is let that wave pass. I'm saying hate can be a cardio bump, or even a training tool, but as soon as the ref calls the fight all hatred should cease since it is no longer necessary.

So it is worse to give someone the finger after the fight then to wait until the hospital and knock the guy out cold???? Hatred does not turn off because you fight. It takes time to come down of the emotions.

Post #5   1/4/10 11:58:19AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,782-1,559
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by John_Jobber

Hatred can be way deeper than any fight, as shown by Kid Yamamoto vs. Tetsuo Katsuta. Breaking a guys arm doesn't mean you like him afterwards.

Post #6   1/4/10 4:49:17PM