Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

White says he'll meet with james toney

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
There's no chance Toney signs with the UFC anyway. The pay cut will send James Toney back to occassional boxing fights. Dana White's wasting his time.

Post #16   1/3/10 10:40:28PM   

karn501

In Full Mount

karn501 Avatar

Career:134-103
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

There's no chance Toney signs with the UFC anyway. The pay cut will send James Toney back to occassional boxing fights. Dana White's wasting his time.

it was toneys idea

Post #17   1/3/10 11:23:29PM   

fonduktoe

In Full Mount

fonduktoe Avatar

Career:1,473-914
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:
it's pretty funny after all the **** dana talked about strikeforce signing hershel walker that now they're entertaining this

Post #18   1/3/10 11:35:18PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,848-1,057
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by cmill21

While it may work out, it would be a gimmick signing. The entertainment would again win out over the actual talent of the UFC.

There are tens of thousands of people out there that believe a boxer on his level can compete in the UFC. I'm not one of them, but until a boxing champion comes in and gets tossed around like a ragdoll, there's an interest in seeing it. And with the trash that some of the boxers talk about MMA, this is really a necessity to shut some of those guys up, since they won't man-up themselves.

Got a question for you cmill21. Why when the UFC talks about signing a boxing champion do you call it a gimmick signing? But in Japan, when a top 10 fighter fights a guy dressed like a cartoon character and is half his size, you just say, well that is what the Japanese audience wants. I know you hate the UFC and all, but does every comment really need to be negative. Will it kill you to "not" take a jab at them in just one comment? I mean, you talked so much trash about the card last night. Did you watch it? I'm dying to hear you speak the truth about what you saw last night. I know it will eat you up inside, but can you do it? I challenge you to say something good about UFC 108.

I can see where you are coming from grapp... cmill does tend to be pretty one-sided. But of all the UFC actions you could defend, the potential signing of a washed up boxer seems like a strange choice.

As blindly anti-UFC as cmill is, defending the potential signing of Toney seems just as blindly pro-UFC.

The UFC makes a lot of good moves and some that are kind of questionable, signing James Toney would be the latter type.

Post #19   1/3/10 11:56:16PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,338-1,248
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
As people have said already this seems like it would be more of a Dream or other Japanese promotion signing Toney rather than the UFC.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing Toney up against an aging Grappler or Wrestler, just as a style matchup like the old school. Former boxer against a wrestler like Couture or Coleman is slightly intriguing and Toney would bring over some ratings from older boxing fans which is a crowd that I don't think has fully accepted MMA yet.

Post #20   1/4/10 12:00:17AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Thats what your going with? So because they don't keep these guys around it means it's ok to keep trying to find the next Tito? I don't care if a guy played in the NFL, it's crap that they bring guys in for that reason. No there's not a ton of guys in the UFC who are like this....yet. They just started to bring these guys in, Kimbo, Tito, and letting Dan and a lot of the real talent stay outside of the UFC to sign guys like Toney is becoming a trend. Quit drinking the kool aid and figure it out bud.

I'm gonna go ahead and point out that you seem to be a UFC hater. Kimbo is obviously for ratings. Tito is obviously for ratings. But having better numbers means they can afford more top talent and pay them better.

Signing Tony is a good idea for several reasons.

1) He could surprise us and become a legit contender. The guy has excellent hands and is a good athlete. Teach him to sprawl and you might just have an MMA fighter. I considered Brock Lesnar a gimmick signing and look what he's accomplished so far. You never know. Guys who are great at one thing can make it in this sport if they learn to mask their weaknesses.

2) If he doesn't do well then it can be seen as a win for the UFC over Boxing. It may not be the same as watching BJ Penn tool Floyd Maywether. But you know you'll have some knuckle heads standing around the water cooler saying "Man did you see that fight. UFC fighters are so much more hard core than boxers."

3) He will be a big ratings draw. If the UFC makes money then thats good for us as MMA fans. I want to see top talent. I want them well payed so there aren't contract disputes. I want more free fights and more cards per year. Signing Toney, Kimbo, and Tito accomplish this better than keeping Dan Henderson.

Post #21   1/4/10 12:56:54AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by cmill21

Thats what your going with? So because they don't keep these guys around it means it's ok to keep trying to find the next Tito? I don't care if a guy played in the NFL, it's crap that they bring guys in for that reason. No there's not a ton of guys in the UFC who are like this....yet. They just started to bring these guys in, Kimbo, Tito, and letting Dan and a lot of the real talent stay outside of the UFC to sign guys like Toney is becoming a trend. Quit drinking the kool aid and figure it out bud.

I'm gonna go ahead and point out that you seem to be a UFC hater. Kimbo is obviously for ratings. Tito is obviously for ratings. But having better numbers means they can afford more top talent and pay them better.

Signing Tony is a good idea for several reasons.

1) He could surprise us and become a legit contender. The guy has excellent hands and is a good athlete. Teach him to sprawl and you might just have an MMA fighter. I considered Brock Lesnar a gimmick signing and look what he's accomplished so far. You never know. Guys who are great at one thing can make it in this sport if they learn to mask their weaknesses.

2) If he doesn't do well then it can be seen as a win for the UFC over Boxing. It may not be the same as watching BJ Penn tool Floyd Maywether. But you know you'll have some knuckle heads standing around the water cooler saying "Man did you see that fight. UFC fighters are so much more hard core than boxers."

3) He will be a big ratings draw. If the UFC makes money then thats good for us as MMA fans. I want to see top talent. I want them well payed so there aren't contract disputes. I want more free fights and more cards per year. Signing Toney, Kimbo, and Tito accomplish this better than keeping Dan Henderson.

You just proved my point. Lately the UFC has been picking guys who draw over contenders. How do you let Danny go and say he brings nothing to the table when he's a top 5 in two divisions? I'm not sold Toney will be a big draw, I don't think there's alot of boxing fans that will want to watch him fight in MMA now. I'm not a UFC hater, I expect the biggest promotion in the world, that is going to make this the biggest sport in the world by 2020 not to revert back to the days of PRIDE. I don't know why you would copy a failed promotion anyways. Those fights were fun back in the day, but if you want to be taken seriously as a sport why would you bring in a bunch of washed up people from other sports? How does that make sense, and how does that make your sport look? Brock turned out to be legit, he had the best base possible for the sport, on top of that he's still fairly young.

Post #22   1/4/10 1:26:25AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Toney can fight. Can he fight MMA? Who knows. His style isn't what is best for MMA because his rolling shoulders, etc... are amazing in boxing (big man Floyd Mayweather) but he would just get clinched and taken down...however, if he fights some low level guys...cool. To be fair---a Kimbo Slice v. toney fight might actually bring in a lot of non regular viewers...Kimbo is a huge ratings machine and Toney can TALK TALK TALK TALK TALK a fight up. Dude is funny too but man can he talk.

.the UFC needs the spectacle even though a lot of you guys think that degrades the sport. Non fans watch for the spectacle--fans watch for the particulars.

Post #23   1/4/10 1:59:46AM   

Loot613

MMA Regular

Loot613 Avatar

Career:1,249-863
Chips:
For u guys that don't know there's a clip of James Toney backstage after UFC 108 basically heckling Dana White while he's trying to do interviews. This comes from Toney and only Toney. Dana agreed to meet with him after he was done cuz he's a really big dude and he just wanted to be done with him. On the other hand not alot of other boxers want to fight MMA, boxers should be considered a heavy talent pool to draw from as it is a Martial Art throw him on the next heavyweight TUF, IMHO

Post #24   1/4/10 5:02:18AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Chips:

Posted by fonduktoe

it's pretty funny after all the **** dana talked about strikeforce signing hershel walker that now they're entertaining this

Hershel Walker, the former FOOTBALL player and James Toney, the BOXER, right?

Two totally different signings, bro. Signing a fighter is different than signing an athlete.

Post #25   1/4/10 9:08:07AM   

fonduktoe

In Full Mount

fonduktoe Avatar

Career:1,473-914
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by fonduktoe

Hershel Walker, the former FOOTBALL player and James Toney, the BOXER, right?

Two totally different signings, bro. Signing a fighter is different than signing an athlete.

i'm just bringing it up in relation to the fact that dana said walker is way too old to be making his mma debut which would be the case for toney as well. i'm well aware of the difference between the 2. bro.

Post #26   1/4/10 9:35:23AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by fonduktoe

i'm just bringing it up in relation to the fact that dana said walker is way too old to be making his mma debut which would be the case for toney as well. i'm well aware of the difference between the 2. bro.

Walker has never fought before. Toney has. Walker was a TOTAL gimmick signing.

Age has nothing to do with this situation. If so, Mark Coleman would hever never been signed. Liddell would have been gone long ago. Couture would be retired, etc.

Post #27   1/4/10 9:51:51AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

I can see where you are coming from grapp... cmill does tend to be pretty one-sided. But of all the UFC actions you could defend, the potential signing of a washed up boxer seems like a strange choice.

As blindly anti-UFC as cmill is, defending the potential signing of Toney seems just as blindly pro-UFC.

The UFC makes a lot of good moves and some that are kind of questionable, signing James Toney would be the latter type.

Actually, I more defend the right to sign an accomplished boxer than simply backing the idea of Toney coming to the UFC. I think it's a necessary step somewhere down the road, whether it happens now or 5 years from now.

I'm not sure I could say that agreeing with the UFC over 1 issue (whether or not you think it's a silly option to defend) would constitute being blindly pro-UFC. If it were a definitive pattern, I could see what you're saying. The reason I mentioned it to cmill in the first place is because it is a trend that has been ongoing for not only days and weeks, but months and years now. It just gets old.

Post #28   1/4/10 12:51:00PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

it is a trend that has been ongoing for not only days and weeks, but months and years now. It just gets old.

I agree. There are certain names that I associate with certain things. Some people are nuthuggers. Others are anti-nuthuggers*, which (to me) is almost worse than being a nuthugger. Some people are generally negative about everything. Some people are pretty open-minded. Before I even click on a thread, I can see who the last person was to post on said thread and, most of the time, tell you whether A.) They agree with the topic at hand or B.) generally what their opinion is.

In most cases, I'm pretty spot on with my prediction.

* Another form of nuthugger that makes sure to discount and discredit anything/anyone popular, no matter how good it/he/she/they actually are, only because they want to have a differing/unique opinion, but at the same time, they come across as overly trollish in behavior.

Last edited 1/4/10 1:29PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #29   1/4/10 1:27:50PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

of questionable, signing James Toney would be the latter type.

Actually, I more defend the right to sign an accomplished boxer than simply backing the idea of Toney coming to the UFC. I think it's a necessary step somewhere down the road, whether it happens now or 5 years from now.

I'm not sure I could say that agreeing with the UFC over 1 issue (whether or not you think it's a silly option to defend) would constitute being blindly pro-UFC. If it were a definitive pattern, I could see what you're saying. The reason I mentioned it to cmill in the first place is because it is a trend that has been ongoing for not only days and weeks, but months and years now. It just gets old.

You've been noticing me for years? For the record, I like the UFC, I really like the Fertita's, but yes I hate Dana White! I know that's a terrible thing right! I wish I could agree with everything he did and be able to just say "oh Dana said that? Well it must be true!". I'll work on it.

EDIT: Please will someone answer me how it makes the sport look when your bringing in guys who are washed up from other sports? This goes for strikeforce to by the way, I'm not behind the Herschel signing either. You guys don't seem to get it, I'm against certain idea's, like banning sponsors for sponsoring other org's fighters, and bringing in washed up football and boxing people. Hell why doesn't someone sign Dave 'tiger" williams? At least he has fighting experience.

Last edited 1/4/10 2:05PM server time by cmill21
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #30   1/4/10 2:01:44PM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4