Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

GSP says olympics still possible may vacate title to pursue

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

First of all, guy above me, GSP's wrestling is absolutely world class. The way he took down Kos over and over proves that.

Was that a wrestling match? I thought it was MMA. Rampage took Hendo down. I guess you are going to say Rampage has better wrestling?

The fact of the matter is, we don't know if it is world class, as he has never competed in it. I am guessing NO.

One more thing, he is never going to medal.

Last edited 1/3/10 1:01AM server time by roadking95th
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   1/3/10 12:57:59AM   

taporsnap25

Learning to Sprawl

Career:48-39
Camp: Northern Combat Fitness Academy
Chips:
Canada's wrestling team = Jamaica's bobsled team = USA' s hockey team
boom.

Post #17   1/3/10 1:17:10AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Chips:

Posted by taporsnap25

Canada's wrestling team = Jamaica's bobsled team = USA' s hockey team
boom.

The US has medaled. Boom!

Post #18   1/3/10 1:23:06AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Chips:
So where would he compete? 74kg or 84kg? This article suggests 74(163lbs).

link

Don't get me wrong, GSP is very humble about the sport. It's that some of his fans are being unrealistic. In fact, I find it very disrespectful to say he would medal.

Post #19   1/3/10 1:40:45AM   

taporsnap25

Learning to Sprawl

Career:48-39
Camp: Northern Combat Fitness Academy
Chips:
Canada's wrestling has 15 medals or something, a couple of them gold. Don't get me wrong, i was surprised too.

Post #20   1/3/10 10:09:31AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Chips:
Canada has 15, 2 are gold. One being women's freestyle and the other coming from Iglia(sp?)

The US has almost 10x, I believe. Of course a lot come from freestyle when the US and England started it.

The true powers are Russia and the Soviets former satellites.

US could be considered as high as 2 in Hockey, but definitely top 4. No comparison.

Post #21   1/3/10 11:06:01AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
US hockey's doing great now with all of the Canadian hockey players knocking up american women and having their kids in the US(don't take offence please as this is a joke). In all seriousness they are a solid hockey team now. Canada deceided to go gritty this year and I think we'll finish no better then second. Sweden will win again, Marty won't get it done and dont even get me started on the Cheddar from Vancouver. I do agree though GSP will get tossed around, wrestling in the UFC isn't wrestling in the Olympics, come on get real lol. Thats like saying the worlds best ringette player will come in and dominate Hockey, or vise versa, their two different sports. Do it GSP but you will get dusted.

Post #22   1/3/10 11:17:26AM   

fullfighting

MMA Regular

fullfighting Avatar

Career:151-94
Chips:
It always annoyed me how the commentators always talked about how amazing it was that GSP could dominate and actually out-wrestle the wrestlers. He is a wrestler and I could tell he knew wrestling and was infact a really great wrestler. I get what the commentators were doing, and everyone is blown away by how great a wrestler GSP is but to say he's not a wrestler was not very honest imo. He's an unbelievable athlete but he wont medal at the Olympics and to me it is not worth the money he will miss out on. If he does medal all 100 people who actually care will be excited for him.

Post #23   1/3/10 11:34:13AM   

1daveufc

Standup Guy

1daveufc Avatar

Career:612-433
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

i dont follow the olympics much or even really care about them and i would really hate to see an amazing fighter like GSP to quit MMA. he must be getting bored with ufc. he needs more title defenses.

I agree with you a wud hate to see an amazing fighter like gsp leave mma to go to olympics.But from gsp point of view it wud be unreal to represent his country in the games.A dont no about getting bored with ufc if he is he shud step up to MW.

Post #24   1/3/10 12:13:56PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i would have no problem either
vacant it for 6 months or so and coming back is fine

you got guys like fitch, kos , alves, and so on to get a crack at the belt

Post #25   1/3/10 12:29:05PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
I dont think that this will be a good career move for GSP. He is one of the 5 most successful Mixed Martial Artists in the world, and I don't think that he will be able to even qualify for the team.

Post #26   1/3/10 12:31:26PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,838-1,149
Chips:
This is what I think if GSP leaves there will be some good ass fights for that title then when GSP comes back he cleans house again to regain his title how freakin badass would that be

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #27   1/3/10 1:12:27PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
Thing is GSP basicly said is he would not be doing this for the money.. He wants to be able to say he gave it a shot.. He realises he needs to qualify on many levels and there is a great chance he may not make it. He also knows if he is going to have a chance he will need to devot a whole year strictly to training for this..He is not expecting to stop MMA today.. make the team tomorrow.. I think he would have a good chance at making the team.. maybe not medaling.. but he is used to competeing at a very high level of competition in MMA in front of large crowds. For many competeing in the olympics the sheer size of the competition can be overwhelming.. he will have a bit of a mental edge in some cases.. and he is a naturally great athlete.. so I would not write him off altogether. but it is certinaly an up hill battle.. besides it is somethiong he WANTS to do.. competeing in the olympics is not something many athletes get a chance to do.. I wish him the best of luck and nothing higher then a silver the gold needs to be for the USA. and I hope he returns quickly to MMA afterwards.

Post #28   1/3/10 5:31:50PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Chips:

Posted by fullfighting

It always annoyed me how the commentators always talked about how amazing it was that GSP could dominate and actually out-wrestle the wrestlers. He is a wrestler and I could tell he knew wrestling and was infact a really great wrestler. I get what the commentators were doing, and everyone is blown away by how great a wrestler GSP is but to say he's not a wrestler was not very honest imo. He's an unbelievable athlete but he wont medal at the Olympics and to me it is not worth the money he will miss out on. If he does medal all 100 people who actually care will be excited for him.

What they mean is that he isn't a wrestler because he never competed in wrestling. Kos, Hughes, and Fitch were all great wrestlers prior to doing MMA. GSP wasn't. The fact that he can out wrestle those guys is a good indicator that he could do well in the Olympics.

I think its pretty dumb to write GSP off so quickly. Wrestling isn't MMA but it's a part of it. If you can out wrestle wrestlers in an MMA match you could probably do it in a wrestling match.

The difference between dan henderson vs rampage is that both guys have some wrestling pedigree. Page is much bigger and Henderson gets taken down when he shouldn't because of his wild striking.

I just don't like seeing a champ leave to pursue something other than his forte. Being a UFC champ should be good enough.

Last edited 1/4/10 1:12AM server time by bjj1605
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #29   1/4/10 1:11:29AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Some people are Bo Jackson. Some people aren't.

I for one will never tell another man what he "ought" to do or what he "ought not" when he's already done something well. People who are highly successful are so because of the challenges they take on. Without them, they aren't WHO they are. GSP isn't poor. He has marketed himself well and he's huge in Canada. Not hockey huge but huge as an individual athlete. He has American endorsement deals that are quite lucrative, and he does quite well for himself in hte UFC. If the man wants to try something else when he is n his athletic prime...go for it. You live ONCE. Live it up...

Post #30   1/4/10 1:55:18AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3