Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dos Santos Must Weather Hurricane To Get Title

Print  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,428-1,454
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
“I feel that he’s opening his mouth a lot,” Dos Santos told MMAWeekly.com. “He’s talking a lot for this fight, and I feel very confident that after this fight, I’m going to shut him up, that he won’t be opening his mouth until 2011.”According to UFC president Dana White, the stakes are high in silencing Yvel. A win would likely put him on the short list of belt contenders.

Link

Post #1   12/31/09 1:10:11PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:
About time. I feel like Dos Santos has done more than some of the guys that are considered contenders and he gets no hype. The guy is a bruiser and if he has the ground game they say he has he could be a champion. Plus, I just really enjoy watching the guy fight.

Post #2   12/31/09 6:48:53PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Cant wait for this fight. i made a thread in the UFC forum. I think JDS is going to knock Gilbert the hell out. Upercut!

Post #3   12/31/09 8:33:52PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Yvel is smart to talk about his striking and down talk Dos Santos's striking. If he's lucky, it will push Jr. into more of a hands first approach to the fight which Yvel needs to have for a chance to win. He doesn't want to have to deal with Jr.'s ground game----but I haven't seen Gilbert's chin tested too often quite frankly. I doubt he'll be in trouble with Jr.'s striking but that's why they fight the fights....not talk em. ;)

Post #4   1/1/10 12:26:08AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i think if he wins he should jump ahead of the big nog vs cain winner for a title shot

Post #5   1/1/10 8:14:54AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think he needs to beat a top guy first, Cro Cop was not on the short list for title shots when he beat him.

Post #6   1/1/10 11:15:49AM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
In all honesty Dos Santos probably deserves a shot at Mir for the interm title than Carwin does. But, that's how the cards fall. If he destroys Yvel he should definetally be in line for a title shot. But will probably be shorthanded again for Velasquez.

Post #7   1/1/10 6:39:28PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

I think he needs to beat a top guy first, Cro Cop was not on the short list for title shots when he beat him.

That may be but Werdum was a consensus top ten guy when Dos Santos knocked him out in his UFC debut. Even Cro Cop was clinging to life on a few top ten lists when Junior dominated him.

Who has Carwin beat? Gonzaga? Werdum beat him. Twice.

Velasquez? He's beat Cheick Kongo and..... nobody.

Mir has beat Kongo and Big Nog so does that make him the most deserving guy?

At the end of the day it's all subjective. You can make a case for a lot of guys, but I just think that JDS has showed a solid skill set with victories over a couple big name fighters and should be just as credible a contender as any of the other guys being tossed around. Why he isn't I don't know.

Maybe they're keeping him on the back burner to step up next. Or maybe they have a very high opinion of him and want to develop him a little more so he has a chance of keeping the belt for a while if he were to win it. I don't know. I just like watching the guy fight and I want to see him get his due.

Post #8   1/2/10 5:10:59AM