Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 111: Jon Fitch vs Thiago Alves rematch likely for March 27

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
UFC welterweight stalwart Jon Fitch (21-3) is currently in discussions to rematch Thiago Alves (16-6) at UFC 111 from the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ, on March 27, setting up a fantastic 170-pound showdown that will prove once and for all how far both former number one contenders have come since their initial encounter back in 2006.

Their rematch was originally pegged for UFC 107 in Memphis, Tennessee; however, "The Pitbull" had to withdraw due to a knee injury. Fitch remained on the card and defeated Mike Pierce via unanimous decision.

Fitch scored a convincing second round technical knockout of the Brazilian at UFC Fight Night 5. He would go on to win his next five fights and earn a crack at division champion Georges St. Pierre at UFC 87: "Seek and Destroy" in Aug. 2008.

He was overwhelmed by the Canadian for 25 minutes, losing a lopsided unanimous decision.

Alves, too, went on a tear after the loss to Fitch with seven consecutive victories over top-ranked opponents such as Matt Hughes and Karo Parisyan, as well as outpointing Josh Koscheck on all three judges scorecards at UFC 90 in October of 2008.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   12/30/09 9:43:10PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
Revenge is sweet. Fitch gon get ktfo

Last edited 12/30/09 9:52PM server time by EvenFlow
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   12/30/09 9:51:09PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Should be fun! WAR FITCH!

Post #3   12/30/09 9:54:50PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:
I thought Ricardo Almeida would be fighting Thiago. Out of these three guys all matchup's are interesting.

Almeida vs. Fitch
Alves vs. Almeida
Fitch vs. Alves

I wouldn't mind seeing the rematch but would rather see Almeida vs. Alves because it would either be a submission or a KO.

Post #4   12/30/09 10:09:51PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Chips:

Posted by kevietre

I wouldn't mind seeing the rematch but would rather see Almeida vs. Alves because it would either be a submission or a KO.

So youre saying Alves cant finish Fitch? why not, Pierce almost did and Fitch has looked lacklucker since GSP wooped him.

Post #5   12/30/09 10:13:56PM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:

Posted by kevietre

I thought Ricardo Almeida would be fighting Thiago. Out of these three guys all matchup's are interesting.

Almeida vs. Fitch
Alves vs. Almeida
Fitch vs. Alves

I would much rather see Alves vs Fitch than Almeida vs Fitch/Alves. These are the best 170 lbs not named GSP. Its going to be an awesome fight

War Alves!!!

Post #6   12/30/09 10:15:45PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:

Posted by jocka

Posted by kevietre

Almeida vs. Fitch
Alves vs. Almeida
Fitch vs. Alves

I would much rather see Alves vs Fitch than Almeida vs Fitch/Alves. These are the best 170 lbs not named GSP. Its going to be an awesome fight

War Alves!!!

We don't know what Almeida is capable of at 170. He's coming off a couple wins at middleweight he can potentially submit Alves and Fitch

Post #7   12/30/09 10:46:13PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by kevietre

So youre saying Alves cant finish Fitch? why not, Pierce almost did and Fitch has looked lacklucker since GSP wooped him.

Yet he's undefeated since GSP whooped him. He must be doing something right.

Post #8   12/30/09 11:16:59PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by kevietre

Yeah he's winning mostly easy fights to his skillset and doing it in a lackluster fashion.

Diego Sanchez fight - decision probably shouldve gone the other way
Chris Wilson fight - he got cracked several times and lnp'd the whole fight
GSP fight - got demolished with no resistance
Gono fight - very boring
Paulo fight - very very boring
Pierce fight - took him lightly, fought lackluster...again and almost/shouldve got ko'd for fighting so lazy to the point of cocky

Post #9   12/31/09 12:07:24AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,420-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by kevietre

Posted by jocka

Posted by kevietre

Almeida vs. Fitch
Alves vs. Almeida
Fitch vs. Alves

War Alves!!!

We don't know what Almeida is capable of at 170. He's coming off a couple wins at middleweight he can potentially submit Alves and Fitch

Exactly, which is why you don't set him up with either of those guys. Why would you give a guy who is fighting for the first time in a new weight class the #2 or #3 WW in the World, it makes no sense.

Almeida will probably get a TUF fighter or someone B level for his first fight.

Post #10   12/31/09 12:13:46AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by warglory

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by kevietre

Yeah he's winning mostly easy fights to his skillset and doing it in a lackluster fashion.

Gono fight - very boring
Pierce fight - took him lightly, fought lackluster...again and almost/shouldve got ko'd for fighting so lazy to the point of cocky

Winning mostly easy fights? Can ANYONE in the UFC say that? And your definition of boring and LnP differs greatly from mine apparently. Fitch is easily the #2 WW in the world, I think you are selling him short.

Last edited 12/31/09 7:32AM server time by warglory
2 total post edits

Post #11   12/31/09 7:27:49AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,436-1,301
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i am surprised not fitch vs almeida or thiago vs almeida
i do think if fitch wins he will get another crack at the belt

Post #12   12/31/09 8:10:44AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,420-1,317
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by warglory

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by kevietre

Gono fight - very boring

Winning mostly easy fights? Can ANYONE in the UFC say that? And your definition of boring and LnP differs greatly from mine apparently. Fitch is easily the #2 WW in the world, I think you are selling him short.

I agree man, he kinda sounds like a Fitch hater...everything he described about him is totally not how Fitch is. He gave Pierce his second loss after Pierce manhandled Brock Larson, gave Diego his second loss, only other being Koscheck at that point and gave Paulo Thiago his first loss. Maybe you should watch his documentary and you'll get a different outlook on Jon Ftich (to Evenflow).,..he's a tireless worker who went to thailand to improve his striking after the GSP bought. And to this day, regardless of how badly GSP beat that ass, he still says it was his toughest fight b/c Fitch is a ****** warrior and will never give up in a fight. He does his job, they set him up with fights and he wins them, if you don't like his style that's fine but to call him a boring LNPer is not true, just because he wins a lot of fights by decision doesn't make him a boring fighter, in fact, he's probably one of the smartest fighters in the division.

Last edited 12/31/09 11:00AM server time by xdanish020

Post #13   12/31/09 10:52:58AM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

Posted by warglory

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by warglory

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by kevietre

Gono fight - very boring

I agree man, he kinda sounds like a Fitch hater...everything he described about him is totally not how Fitch is. He gave Pierce his second loss after Pierce manhandled Brock Larson, gave Diego his second loss, only other being Koscheck at that point and gave Paulo Thiago his first loss. Maybe you should watch his documentary and you'll get a different outlook on Jon Ftich (to Evenflow).,..he's a tireless worker who went to thailand to improve his striking after the GSP bought. And to this day, regardless of how badly GSP beat that ass, he still says it was his toughest fight b/c Fitch is a ****** warrior and will never give up in a fight. He does his job, they set him up with fights and he wins them, if you don't like his style that's fine but to call him a boring LNPer is not true, just because he wins a lot of fights by decision doesn't make him a boring fighter, in fact, he's probably one of the smartest fighters in the division.

Exactly, a win's a win and in the UFC you gotta win or they show you the door.

Post #14   12/31/09 6:58:36PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,600-1,654
Chips:
IDK if Alves is going to be able to stop the lanky wrestler from taking him down at near will.....sucks.

Post #15   12/31/09 8:29:18PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2