Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Quote of the Day: Dana White Says UFC to Be Biggest Sport in the World

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
"UFC will be the biggest sport in the world by 2020. People were saying I was a lunatic 10 years ago when we first got this going, but the stuff we’re working on right now on so many levels is mind-boggling.... The sport was just sanctioned in Massachusetts and Vancouver. We’re going to get it done in Ontario and New York in 2010. And we’re already working on taking the UFC global. We’ve already done Germany, England and Ireland, and we just sold 22,000 seats for an event in Australia in 15 minutes.... Right now we are on some form of television in over 175 countries. We’re all human beings and we all 'get' fighting.... Me and Lorenzo Fertitta will sit down and figure out a game plan for the next 10 years, and we’ll execute it. So, is 10 years enough time to make this the biggest sport in the world? Hell, yeah."

Link

Last edited 12/27/09 12:17PM server time by ThaAxeMurderer7
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   12/27/09 12:15:43PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I don't know if I agree woman either like it or they don't I guess you can say that for any sport but soccer outside the US is so big and its even growing in the US.

Post #2   12/27/09 12:17:59PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Not a chance. First of all Dana you didn't start all this, and next your going to screw yourself by banning sponsors and big name manufacturers. Next up, football is and always will be the biggest sport in the US, Soccer as lame as it is will never be over taken globally, and here in Canada your never going to out grow hockey. Getting sanctioned wont make new fans, the people that will go live in Ontario already watch the UFC on PPV. I honestly think the UFC and MMA has hit it's peak. We have it on network tv, we have video games, everything. The funny part is the UFC and Dana White started none of the big moves, he should thank Elite for getting onto network tv and pride for the video games. MMA isn't growing like it was a few years ago, it seems to be becoming a side show, bringing in cross over stars to try and attract new fans and while it has worked it's giving ammuntion to the people who call it a freak show. It's no longer about the true greats, it's about who talks the most, sports like football draw people in no matter what, hell your not even allowed to say half of what the fighters say and they generate a crap load of viewers.

Post #3   12/27/09 1:04:12PM   

Meanrighthand88

Learning to Sprawl

Meanrighthand88 Avatar

Career:218-118
Chips:
Will never be the most popular sport in the world... good to see Dana being ambitious but get real.

Post #4   12/27/09 2:23:31PM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
I will never recognize "UFC" as the replacement name for "MMA". As much as Dana wants to enforce that. It's MMA that is the sport's name not "UFC".

And MMA will never be as big as soccer, not matter how many wet dreams Dana has, it will never happen. Even if MMA has all the top 10 fighters in each weightclass fighting in 1 night, 10 years from now......it will never be as big as even the World Cup's opening game.

Post #5   12/27/09 2:54:48PM   

oselius

Learning to Sprawl

Career:69-41
Chips:

Posted by StriderXero

I will never recognize "UFC" as the replacement name for "MMA". As much as Dana wants to enforce that. It's MMA that is the sport's name not "UFC".

Quoted for truth. "Ultimate fighting" can take a hike.

Post #6   12/27/09 4:38:21PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,787-1,542
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Not a chance. First of all Dana you didn't start all this, and next your going to screw yourself by banning sponsors and big name manufacturers. Next up, football is and always will be the biggest sport in the US, Soccer as lame as it is will never be over taken globally, and here in Canada your never going to out grow hockey. Getting sanctioned wont make new fans, the people that will go live in Ontario already watch the UFC on PPV. I honestly think the UFC and MMA has hit it's peak. We have it on network tv, we have video games, everything. The funny part is the UFC and Dana White started none of the big moves, he should thank Elite for getting onto network tv and pride for the video games. MMA isn't growing like it was a few years ago, it seems to be becoming a side show, bringing in cross over stars to try and attract new fans and while it has worked it's giving ammuntion to the people who call it a freak show. It's no longer about the true greats, it's about who talks the most, sports like football draw people in no matter what, hell your not even allowed to say half of what the fighters say and they generate a crap load of viewers.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #7   12/27/09 4:58:09PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,436-1,301
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i doubt it i will be shocked if dana still is president of the ufc

Post #8   12/27/09 8:05:45PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by cmill21

Thanks for the response and while it is a valid i'm not sure on my rebutle as of now.

Post #9   12/27/09 8:23:12PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
It will be the Biggest Combat Sport in 2020, but like everyone has said before me, Hockey, Soccer, and Football will continue to be the top sports in the world/region...

Post #10   12/27/09 8:52:01PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Never happen. If you live in the US and you are an MMA fan you "might" think this. If you are a person that has traveled extensively in the world---you think this is utterly absurd. "Footballers" around the world are such maniacal fans both for small club teams, city teams, and national teams that there is no way that a pugalistic sport---which more dislike than like---will ever be more popular than something which can bring hope and hype to your country every few years. Please. Never happen.

Post #11   12/27/09 10:49:32PM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,526-788
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 12/27/09 11:21PM server time by mentalcase
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #12   12/27/09 11:18:25PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:
Since it's so dumb, how can it get bigger?

Post #13   12/27/09 11:55:58PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
Hey Dana, the UFC is not a sport.

Post #14   12/28/09 12:08:32AM