Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Frank Mir: Brock Lesnar may need to be stripped of the UFC heavyweight title

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
"If (Brock Lesnar) is going to be out for that long, should he even hold on to the belt at all? The interim title works if a champion is not able to defend his belt within a year-long period, you know he's going to be out eight, nine months, you make the interim belt than he comes back after a year but as of now his last fight was in July. If he's out a year from today's date that's a year and a half and at that point, I don't think you can hold the belt ransom. They gave me about a year when I had my injury so I've been on that side of the coin and I was more than happy to relinquish the belt because I felt kind of selfish that I really couldn't do anything with it. I don't how successful he's going to be coming back. That's going to be a question over his head for a while. It wasn't like he was a slick, technical fighter to begin with. A lot of his style went upon his brute power and strength. If Brock Lesnar is unable to put on the same kind of size as he had before ... I don't think he's going to be very successful as a fighter at 245."

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   12/24/09 11:36:05AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
While I agree Frank please shut up let it go win fights you will get your shot at the title if you keep winning. You just make yourself look bad when you bring Brock up every two min.

Post #2   12/24/09 11:41:18AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
I think Frank realises the only way he will be a legit champ again (not an interim champ) is if Brock is beltless. Not knocking Frank Mir as he is one of my top 5 favs...but the constant b****ing is starting to annoy me.

Post #3   12/24/09 11:45:03AM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
I'm so tired of Frank Mir and his obsession with Brock Lesnar. I'm tired of Frank Mir and his opinions period, but I digress.

Frank saying Brock should be striped is ridiculous. It's been 5 1/2 months since Brock defended the title. He's been sick for approximately half of that time, and was scheduled to defend the belt prior to getting sick. He should be given until at least July before they actually strip him of the title. An interim title being setup in the meantime seems perfectly reasonable, but stripping him after less than a 6 month absence would be stupid.

Post #4   12/24/09 12:20:52PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Frank just needs to shut up for once. Prolly need a christmas miracle for that to happen.

Post #5   12/24/09 12:28:08PM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:
I think franks just mad cuz he got his belt stripped years ago. But if he doesnt fight with in the next 4 or 5 months i say strip him

Post #6   12/24/09 12:51:39PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,996-1,641
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
All he is saying is if you're going to strip him of the title because of not defending it within 1 year due to injury, the same thing should happen to Lesnar.

Post #7   12/24/09 1:30:12PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by tepid55

All he is saying is if you're going to strip him of the title because of not defending it within 1 year due to injury, the same thing should happen to Lesnar.

Well then he's saying it about 6 months early. I'm no math wiz, but July 11th was 5 months and 13 days ago. I'd say Brock's got some time to get back yet.

Post #8   12/24/09 1:35:38PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,881-1,577
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

Posted by tepid55

Well then he's saying it about 6 months early. I'm no math wiz, but July 11th was 5 months and 13 days ago. I'd say Brock's got some time to get back yet.

Did you read the article? If you want to be pissed at someone, be pissed at Mania for deeming it quoteworthy and making an article out of it.

Post #9   12/24/09 2:02:47PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
I know a lot of you guys hate Mir for being "cocky" and "running his mouth" all the time but truthfully, from a fan's perspective and a journalists perspective you NEED guys like him who are articulate and not afraid to speak "frankly", pardon the pun, on the record. How many times have you listened to other sports or even MMA and you hear a guy say, "I just did the best I could came out and executed the game plan." "Both teams played hard." I mean really? How boring is that?

You need people to say what they are ACTUALLY thinking. Yes, someitmes it can be construed one way or another way but at least they aren't saying NOTHING. We are afterall looking not just for news but opinions and feelings from fighters too. You can only take so much of a guy giving "all the credit to my opponent" if that's what he doesn't REALLY think.

Post #10   12/24/09 2:18:20PM   

snakeplissken

Standup Guy

snakeplissken Avatar

Career:1,752-1,236
Camp: BAMMA UK
Chips:
I think Frank forgets after his accident he held onto the belt longer than he should of if we follow hat he is saying towards Brock.

As I recall Arlovski became Interim champ and we never got to see a match between them both even after the title moved on.

I think really what is going on here is Frank is trying to stay in the title picture by constantly bleating on about it.

Post #11   12/24/09 3:07:01PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,573-914
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I for one love Frank Mir's outspoken nature. It's so much better than the usual PR bull. He says what he thinks and I think that part of that is probably a business decision. He knows this stuff makes headlines and keeps people talking about him. He's a smart man. That fact that this gets on so many people's nerves means you will all probably keep him in your thoughts. Polarizing fans is a great way to get popular and become a PPV draw.

That aside I agree with what he's saying. Brock should have a year, which he says, and then be stripped. The Interim belt is good for now but if Brock isn't defending it by the summer then the Interim Belt becomes the undisputed belt.

I also agree that Brock's future is rather uncertain. He has ALOT of holes technically and he's only been able to win thus far because of his size and athleticism. If he's lost that (which seems rather likely) he'll be in a lot of trouble. I don't wish that on him or the sport, however. I think he's good for ratings and would never wish harm on another person.

Last edited 12/24/09 3:24PM server time by bjj1605
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   12/24/09 3:22:51PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:524-367
Chips:
frank mir talks alot but he is right. brock lesner cant hold that belt if he cant defend it. it is still to early to say if its gonna happen but if you look beyond that hes right. i personally think brock lesner is an unprofessional champion and i dont think he is the fighter that people make him out to be. in my opinion he shouldnt have gotten a title shot so soon.

Post #13   12/24/09 4:06:45PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Brock is a great wrestler!

Shut up and recognize that Frank! If you are such a man, than don't let another grown man hold you down. Oh, that's right, you were a Nevada state champ. What's that the equivalent of? Maybe a District title in PA?

Post #14   12/24/09 4:32:15PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,479-856
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
The last picture I seen of Brock he looked real small, and Brock had stated before Mir 2 that he was no longer cutting weight. He could have serious physical problems if he lost 20-30 pounds of muscle. Brock is not going to be the same against the biggest strongest HW's. I think there is a good chance Brock gets knocked out if he comes back to soon.

Post #15   12/24/09 6:23:56PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2