Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

(Premier) Mcguinty has 'Open Mind' on Hosting UFC Matches in Ontario

Print  
Posted By Message

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
TORONTO -- Premier Dalton McGuinty is considering allowing the staging of Ultimate Fighting Championship matches in the province.

"I've got an open mind to those kinds of things," McGuinty told CTV Toronto earlier this week when asked if he's opposed to the martial arts events being staged here.

"I'd want to hear from people who train kids in the martial arts, how popular is it among the younger age group and all those kinds of things. It's not the kind of thing I'd want to drive underground. In other words, I'd want to bring a thoughtful approach to it."

McGuinty said he would also want to consult with police and medical officials, adding the issue is not a priority for him.

Ultimate fighting has become one of the world's fastest-growing spectator sports.

It is a mixed martial arts competition, combining elements of fighting sports such as boxing, wrestling, kickboxing, karate and jiu-jitsu.

The UFC recently won a victory when Vancouver's city council voted to legalize mixed martial arts competitions. It has also been recently legalized in Massachusetts.

The Ontario Athletic Commission has periodically revisited the issue, but it has continually maintained that mixed martial arts violates Section 83 of the Criminal Code, which forbids unsanctioned prizefighting.

The UFC has claimed a UFC event in Toronto could generate $4 million in tax revenue.

http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=303358

(I posted the whole article, it's short.)

Post #1   12/23/09 4:28:06PM   

loffspring

Learning to Sprawl

loffspring Avatar

Career:623-343
Chips:

Post #2   12/23/09 5:43:56PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Please god make this happen. This would only be a good thing for Ontario.

Post #3   12/23/09 5:46:30PM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
Hopefully this is true but only a year ago the Ministry of Health and Promotion canceled CAMTAO which was the Amateur Muay Thai association. Plenty of the guys at my gym fought there and i was going to as well but now we need to go out in Alberta or NY to find fights.

I hope they do legalize MMA but why would they cancel Muay thai / Kickboxing and they allow MMA doesn't make much sense.

Post #4   12/23/09 7:06:26PM   

Infused

MMA Regular

Infused Avatar

Career:373-253
Chips:
Come to Ottawa or Toronto please!

Post #5   12/23/09 7:58:32PM