Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Which is more impressive?

Print  
Posted By Message

Biggz

Standup Guy

Biggz Avatar

Career:267-204
Camp: Untouchables
Chips:
i have been wondering for a while about this. the question is: Are you more impressed by a quick knockout (within the first round) or a fighter completely dominating another fighter for the whole fight.

Examples of quick knockout: Rampage vs Chuck (fight ended in one punch at the 1:53 mark in the first round)
or
Keith Jardine getting knocked out by Thiago Silva ( 1:35 in the first) or Wandy ( :36 in the first).....or Houston ( :48 in the first)

I think a fast knockout can be very impressive, however you will always have the argument of the "lucky punch"

on the other hand, you have a fighter dominate another fighter for the whole fight.
Examples of pure domination:

Bj Penn vs Diego Sanchez-(i know the fight was stopped, but if not for the cut, i believe Diego would have made it out of the round)

Couture vs Big Tim
or
Gsp vs Fitch and/or Alves
However the argument you have with this option is that the dominate fighter was unable to finish the other fighter.

Both have valid points to be impressive, both have IMO valid arguments, so what impresses you more?

Post #1   12/23/09 12:33:29PM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,396-1,260
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
No doubt about it...it has to be a dominating victory.

Post #2   12/23/09 12:37:16PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Something else to take into consideration is that the majority of fighters in the LW and WW classes don't have one-punch KO power. You slap 20-30 solid pounds on Penn and GSP, you'd see many more knockouts I assure you.

Post #3   12/23/09 12:42:13PM   

Nitrus

Proud to be Brazilian

Nitrus Avatar

Career:1,455-838
Chips:
I think that fighters that absolutely whoop his opponents as* for 3 or 5 rounds, is more impressive, cause you can't say that his opponent didn't had the chance to do this or that during the fight.

But, fast victories can't be forget too.
Some can, but some not.

Examples:
Houston Alexander x Keith Jardine
- OH MY GOD ! WHAT A MONSTER!.... or not, Houston proved to be a joke..
He impressed a lot of people, but we all know, Jardine don't have the best chin, and Houston isn't that great.
Another mentions: Paulo Thiago x Kos, Irvin x Houston

Silva x Griffin
- A fast victory, but.. what a way to impress. Silva took less than a round, to show how good, and how dominant he is. I really don't believe how I picked Silva UD in this fight, one of my worst call ever
Another mentions: Marquardt x Kampmann

IMO, is more impressive whoop for 5 rounds, or, whoop for less than a round, the way Silva did. Besides that, isn't all that impressive..

Post #4   12/23/09 1:30:05PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
A KO in itself may not be as impressive as a dominant fight, but when a fighter strings together several KOs and TKOs much like Shane Carwin has, all in the 1st round, that's damn impressive and shows the fighter's power and technique is not just a fluke.

Post #5   12/23/09 3:15:23PM   

karn501

In Full Mount

karn501 Avatar

Career:134-103
Chips:

Posted by warglory

A KO in itself may not be as impressive as a dominant fight, but when a fighter strings together several KOs and TKOs much like Shane Carwin has, all in the 1st round, that's damn impressive and shows the fighter's power and technique is not just a fluke.

Post #6   12/23/09 3:27:27PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,361-1,266
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I agree that a dominant performance is more impressive. I think the most impressive is when someone finishes their opponent off with their opponents bread and butter.

Example would be Kos getting out wrestled by GSP. From what I remember, at that time GSP's wrestling wasn't thought of as the best in his division or all of mma for that matter. I forget his name at the moment, but a few months ago in the WEC when the black belt got tapped via guillotine from some unknown.

I like those the best because you are staring at the tv in disbelief.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #7   12/23/09 4:38:31PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,552-908
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Cung Le dominated Scott Smith like few have dominated, then one punch changed the fight, which did you consider more impressive.

It's not surprising or impressive to see the better fight fighter dominate, it's what is expected. If we're talking about Diego walking in and dismantling BJ Penn before finishing him by an inverted arm bar, that would be impressive.

Are you really impressed when GSP dominates, or would you rather see him knock somebody out with a head kick or a flying knee once in awhile.

I personally would rather see somebody finish the fight, but I want to see the underdog finish the fight, I want the Scott Smith's of the world or the Nogueira's (Big Nog) of the world to stand-up.

Post #8   12/23/09 5:23:44PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
one punch KO's are fun to see but i have to say its a dominating performance like penn and sanchez. that fight secured penn as one of the all time greatest.

Post #9   12/23/09 11:47:12PM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:

Posted by kopower

I forget his name at the moment, but a few months ago in the WEC when the black belt got tapped via guillotine from some unknown.

I like those the best because you are staring at the tv in disbelief.

Are you referring to Wagnney Fabiano getting submitted by Mackens Semerzier? Although I believe it was a triangle choke that did Wagnney in.

Post #10   12/24/09 5:41:01AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,572-930
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by karn501

Posted by warglory

I second this.

To be able to consecutivley perform KO's is the most impressive.

Post #11   12/26/09 8:11:29PM   

MMA_Alex

MMA Regular

Career:628-325
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by karn501

Posted by warglory

I second this.

To be able to consecutivley perform KO's is the most impressive.

Or consecutive submissions, ala Maia.

Post #12   12/27/09 2:46:56PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
to me the most impressive wins are a combo of both

Not a flash KO and not a dominate Decision

A perfect example would be

Silva vs Griffin - Complete domination mixed with a TKO finish
Matt Brown vs Sell - Ditto
Silva vs Franklin
GSP vs Serra, Hughes

Dominate a fight but finish it, it makes sense that if you are demolishing a fighter in all aspects that you should be able to finish the fight.

Examples of fights that should have been finished

GSP vs Fitch, Alves - He dominated all 5 rounds But I would have been more impressed if he had finished em around the 4 round

Maynard... He impresses the hell out of me by dominating but he need to use his dominate positions to unleash some serious damage leading to a stoppage...

Post #13   12/28/09 4:17:36PM