Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Overeem Update: Dynamite Appearance, SF Update

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
More Alistair Overeem news, which means it's bizarre and going to bring out the haters. While his negotiations to face Kazuyuki Fujita at Fields Fynamite!! began a while back, apparently nobody told Andrei Arlovski, who according to his manager was offered the Overeem fight by DREAM. As for Strikeforce, you guessed it-pushed back yet again. One fight left on his K-1 deal, which appears likely for March or April. So if this holds true, don't plan on Fedor-Overeem in April.

Article

Post #1   12/18/09 2:40:45PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,355-1,244
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'm honestly at the point where I don't even care anymore. He could retire tomorrow and it wouldn't bother me one bit.

Post #2   12/18/09 2:49:41PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,928-1,103
Chips:
Overeem should be stripped of his HW title, and if/when he comes to the US again he can try to gain it back.

But I don't blame Overeem one bit. He is making more money fighting K-1 than he can make in the US. Even when he fights mma in dream, he is still under his FEG contract and making more than all but the highest paid UFC fighters and Fedor.

Post #3   12/18/09 3:21:09PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,489-1,490
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
agreed..take his belt..let him rest a bit..from all the fightin..and if he really wants his belt back..move on to strikeforce and leave k-1 for awhile..he's gotta make a choice in what he wants to do...

Post #4   12/18/09 3:43:24PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

I'm honestly at the point where I don't even care anymore. He could retire tomorrow and it wouldn't bother me one bit.

Post #5   12/18/09 4:01:16PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,755-1,746
Chips:
I still enjoy Overeem quite a bit, I just have to realize that the guys who have control over the belts in SF are not doing the right thing. I watch all his fights in Japan and think he should just stay there, I'm not on the edge of my seat to see him fight in the US. Who cares where he fights, I still get to see it.

Post #6   12/18/09 4:17:57PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,940-1,617
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I still enjoy Overeem quite a bit, I just have to realize that the guys who have control over the belts in SF are not doing the right thing. I watch all his fights in Japan and think he should just stay there, I'm not on the edge of my seat to see him fight in the US. Who cares where he fights, I still get to see it.

I tend to agree. The reason most of get pissed at him is because he's tying up a belt. Scott Coker has the power to change that.

Post #7   12/18/09 5:34:08PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by jae_1833

I tend to agree. The reason most of get pissed at him is because he's tying up a belt. Scott Coker has the power to change that.

I will admit that I still do enjoy watching his fights. I'm just a little bit put off by his avoidance of the US. I know we don't want to speculate and all of that, but I can't help but do it. It just tarnishes the image of integrity that I'd like to have for Alistair in order to be a fan.

Post #8   12/18/09 5:36:33PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,627-1,504
Chips:
its fun watching alistair, hes a monster and when he looks good he looks like he could beat anyone including fedor. its just that he hasnt commited to either K-1 or MMA and its hard to take him seriously if he isnt looking to be the best at either or because being the best at both is next to impossible. the long delay for the SF belt needs to end ASAP, enough is inough and since he seems to be disinterested in SF its time to let someone that wants to hold their belt have a chance at it.

Post #9   12/18/09 6:27:11PM   

xAcidburNx

Standup Guy

xAcidburNx Avatar

Career:672-426
Chips:
this all just seems like someone is waiting for his private doctor to give em the ok if you know what i mean. most people who keep cancelling shows in america are due to visa issues. i think hes waiting till he can clear a piss test

Post #10   12/18/09 7:13:53PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,940-1,617
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by jae_1833

I will admit that I still do enjoy watching his fights. I'm just a little bit put off by his avoidance of the US. I know we don't want to speculate and all of that, but I can't help but do it. It just tarnishes the image of integrity that I'd like to have for Alistair in order to be a fan.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. In fact, I've made up my mind about that situation, but rarely vocalize my opinon due to the lack of proof. I don't know that we can hold it against him any more than other fighters that did the same or similar things for years while fighting overseas though. If he didn't have a belt in SF, I'm not sure anyone would care nearly as much. So in essence, I do enjoy watching him fight, but I don't have the ultimate respect for him and don't necessarily consider myself a fan. There's a particular fighter that used to fight in Pride that is always much smaller when fighing in the states, yet that person has a huge fan following and it's never really a topic of conversation...perhaps because he's not dominating like Overeem is? Not sure. I'm not saying we should all become Overeem fans, but I don't think he deserves any more flack than at least a dozen other fan favorites that have done the same thing.

Edit:
oh, and Jackelope, even though I quoted you, this was more directed to everyone

Last edited 12/18/09 7:18PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   12/18/09 7:16:26PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,380
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
strikeforce needs to strip the title from him already
man fight in the u.s already

Post #12   12/18/09 7:49:24PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
It's no secret that I enjoy watching Overeem get KO'd and especially when he goes into my favorite kickboxing org. of K-1. I dont blame Overeem for any choice he makes regarding coming here to America. He obviously gets paid better and who wouldnt be at least a little afraid of fighting Fedor?...and drug testing. They wanted to give him a title fight with Arlovski, no disrespect, I'm a Pitbull fan but realistically he's a guy who's lost 2 in a row and Overeem still turned it down to fight in Japan. Granted it's the biggest event of the year (imo) but cmon, relinquish the belt.

If he leaves Strikeforce, good, they need a real HW champion, a champ who defends the strap.

Post #13   12/18/09 7:57:12PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,546-901
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
If Overeem wants to do K-1 more power to him.

But give up your title or for the love of god take it from him Mr.Coker!

Post #14   12/18/09 8:13:48PM   

xAcidburNx

Standup Guy

xAcidburNx Avatar

Career:672-426
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

It's no secret that I enjoy watching Overeem get KO'd and especially when he goes into my favorite kickboxing org. of K-1. I dont blame Overeem for any choice he makes regarding coming here to America. He obviously gets paid better and who wouldnt be at least a little afraid of fighting Fedor?...and drug testing. They wanted to give him a title fight with Arlovski, no disrespect, I'm a Pitbull fan but realistically he's a guy who's lost 2 in a row and Overeem still turned it down to fight in Japan. Granted it's the biggest event of the year (imo) but cmon, relinquish the belt.

If he leaves Strikeforce, good, they need a real HW champion, a champ who defends the strap.

wasnt his fight with arlovski schedualed for dream in japan?

Post #15   12/18/09 8:29:38PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2