Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Pound for Pound

Print  
Posted By Message

dstlvb

MMA Regular

dstlvb Avatar

Career:373-248
Chips:
After looking at the P4P rankings it is loaded with guys like Fedor, Mirko, Rua, and Liddell at the top. I know the arguments for these guys being at the top. My question is where do the guys who have one titles at more than one wieght class fit in to the picture. I know almost no one is going to take randy against Fedor, but Randy has actually won a title in a different weight class, along with Hendo. Wandy has fought heavier and done well, yet gets no love. Hughes is #9, in a open wieght situation woudnt you take Wandy ove Hughes?

I guess the next question is what are the hardest weight classes to make a switch to. LH to HWY, LW to MW or others. Is it easier to go up or down?

Last edited 4/10/07 7:50PM server time by dstlvb
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   4/10/07 7:46:51PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
The way things are going this year if Wandy fought Hughes I would bet on Hughes

Post #2   4/10/07 8:21:23PM   

jaba

MMA Regular

jaba Avatar

Career:18-18
Camp: Team Big Guns
Chips:
uve got too be kidding me

Post #3   4/10/07 8:46:22PM   

PW

Learning to Sprawl

PW Avatar

Career:290-155
Chips:

Hughes is #9, in a open wieght situation woudnt you take Wandy ove Hughes?

Although your points about fighting in other weight classes are valid, I think you've made a mistake here. This isn't the way to think when deciding the pound for pound best. That's why it's "pound for pound" and not just the best.

Pound for pound rankings are based more on a fighter's accomplishments in relative situations. For example, BJ beating Hughes in the first fight was impressive because BJ is naturally a much smaller guy. A bigger guy like Wanderlei beating Hughes would be far less impressive and wouldn't do much to give Wanderlei a good place on the P4P ranking. One way to look at it is, who would you consider the best all around fighter based on the fighter's they've beaten? Consider who has been more dominant in his own weight class(es) rather than matching fighters of different weights together.

Post #4   4/10/07 10:23:20PM   

Northrend

In Full Mount

Northrend Avatar

Career:110-62
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
Hughes over Wanderlei? WTF?

Post #5   4/10/07 10:38:48PM   

bruiser

Learning to Sprawl

Career:360-208
Chips:
I think the real atrocity is that Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto is ranked 8th in his weight class and 10th pound-for-pound. How can there be 7 guys in his weight class better than him and only 9 guys better over all? Weird.

Post #6   4/11/07 2:16:09PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by bruiser

I think the real atrocity is that Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto is ranked 8th in his weight class and 10th pound-for-pound. How can there be 7 guys in his weight class better than him and only 9 guys better over all? Weird.

Because he hasn't fought in the PRIDE or UFC before, I bet that is the biggest reason.Plus, several of his opponents have been no-names. As soonas he starts mixing it up with bigger names, his name will grow.

Post #7   4/11/07 2:45:41PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by bruiser

It might be because he is an all or nothing guy on the lists. Either people have him ranked high on the LW list and thus high on the PforP list or he isn't on either list, thus the more popular fighters are ranked ahead of him.

Just a thought though..... I don't know how the ranking math works so I can't produce an example.

Last edited 4/11/07 3:06PM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   4/11/07 3:05:51PM