Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

FRANK MIR: "Carwin is a better version of Lesnar."

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Don’t get Frank Mir wrong – he’d like nothing more than a rematch with Brock Lesnar. He wants to show the fans, Lesnar, and most of all, himself, that the heavyweight champion's size is not an insurmountable obstacle.

But time moves fast inside the Octagon, and faster still in the unofficial rankings of division competitors.

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez are on a collision course for February in a fight with future title implications.

With Lesnar’s future in the balance, Mir says he’s ready to look elsewhere in the meantime.

An interim fight with Shane Carwin is a match-up that’s logical.

LINK w/VIDEO

Post #1   12/14/09 10:40:05AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,736-1,506
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I personally think Mir needs one more big win before he gets another crack at a belt.

Post #2   12/14/09 11:07:40AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Before I ever read the article I agreed with Mir. Not necessarily about Carwin being better than Lesnar, but about the point Mir is trying to make. He's trying to point out that a win over Carwin would make a statement about his ability to fight a heavy handed and dominant wrestler. I agree with that.

Post #3   12/14/09 11:36:19AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
Since Lesnar will be out for a while and Nog is already fighting Valasqes why not have Mir fight Carwin (when he is healthy) or the winner of Nog/ Valasques.

Frank will take that time to get bigger and work his hand and takedown defense.

I am not a fan of Frank Mir's mouth but he is becoming a monster in my opinion.

Post #4   12/14/09 12:28:35PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
If Mir believes that he should be very afraid of Carwin because Lesnar pounded Mir out like he was a child.

Post #5   12/14/09 12:36:57PM   

Coolhand37

MMA Regular

Coolhand37 Avatar

Career:1,337-1,386
Camp: Brazilian Beatdown
Chips:
Lesnar is a man who backdropped big show multiple times like it was a paperweight lifting event. Lesnar is #1 and Carwin is #2 but oh what #2!! no one will beat Carwin but Lesnar. But honestly at this weight division if any of these guys landed a straight right as hard as they could on their oppnents button they wouldnt be standing so its still anyone's game. Its all about accuracy and speed of you punches, its all about good head movement and defense, precision kicks, and a consumate takedown defense as well as working your ass off on your ground game. training and leaving nothing left after everyday, thats what makes a champion and that is how Lesnar trains. he's never been one to slack off in training.
Carwin is the same but he is not as strong as Lesnar so he would af to be very accurate with his punches and would have to go for good take downs exposing Brock's weaknesses on the ground. Brock has a good chin but its very big, it would be easy for carwin to assassinate that chin, but then again Lesnar knocks people down with glancing blows and is deceptively fast.
its any man's game. the ufc should rally behind brock and do everything they can to insure that their champion is well and let him keep his title until they are sure he isnt going to be there. He has earned that.

Post #6   12/14/09 1:29:30PM   

karn501

In Full Mount

karn501 Avatar

Career:134-103
Chips:
I'm a big fan of mir but i dont think he really wants to fight carwin because he is a monster this will prove to be a bad idea for mir

Post #7   12/14/09 1:58:32PM   

clintjack

MMA Regular

clintjack Avatar

Career:851-536
Chips:
I agree, bad match up for Frank IMO. I see Shane taking him down and pounding him out. However we have not seen Shane's submission defense, so Frank could catch him in something.

Post #8   12/14/09 2:43:15PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,519-891
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Frank is on another level than Carwin. Shane has a chance against Brock because its size vs size. Against mir he won't have much of a size or strength advantage (he really isn't as big as brock though everyone likes to say it) and he will be at a disadvantage technically.... everywhere. Mir could win this fight however he wanted, or rather, however shane wanted. Shane could keep it standing and get picked apart and dropped or he could take mir down and get submitted.

Post #9   12/14/09 2:56:35PM   

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,065-635
Chips:
I think Mir's using his usual tactics here. Carwin has had some impressive wins but he still hasn't proved hes at Lesnar's callibur. He might hit as hard but I doubt his takedowns and top-control are as good as Lesnar's. Mir's just building Carwin up to be a better version of Lesnar so he can submit him and goad Lesnar into a rubber match

Post #10   12/14/09 4:33:45PM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Camp: GSPeed on your face
Chips:
I kinda wish gonzaga was still in the picture. I would like to see him fight Mir. He's got big power, is a above average striker, and has great jiu-jitsu.

Mir would probably take the fight, but it would be very dangerous for him. He doesn't have the KO power carwin does and gonzaga can put your lights out with one punch.

Post #11   12/14/09 5:08:04PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Mir is definitely much bigger. I was surprised at his muscularity at the last fight. He was big and more cut than I've seen him. If he continues that it will be good for him. His other need is to continue to move his head. He's had a few KO's so his chin is rather suspect.

Post #12   12/14/09 5:55:46PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by NE-1

I kinda wish gonzaga was still in the picture. I would like to see him fight Mir. He's got big power, is a above average striker, and has great jiu-jitsu.

Mir would probably take the fight, but it would be very dangerous for him. He doesn't have the KO power carwin does and gonzaga can put your lights out with one punch.

I think Mir has enough KO power to see him through. It's really big strong wrestlers that he needs to worry about. He is obsessed and although I acyually like Mir I think Lesnar would beat him again if they fought.

Post #13   12/14/09 6:49:52PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
I'll start off by saying I haven't seen the video, the site isn't working right now.

That being said, IMO Carwin isn't a better version of Lesnar. Lesnar is definitely a better wrestler. He is also bigger. Carwin is a better striker and we know nothing about his BJJ. We, do however, know at least something about Lesnar's BJJ defense, he nullified Mir's.

Concerning a rematch with Lesnar, I believe the pendulum is swinging Mir's way. I still believe Lesnar has the advantage, but Mir is catching up. Here is why. Lesnar is out of action, not progressing. Mir is busy bulking up, which will help him on bottom. He still wont be able to stop Lesnar's TD though. Mir's stand up is also improving. Finally, Mir is training with HW wrestlers who are as good as Lesnar, thus becoming acclimated to Lesnar's style.

If I was Lesnar, I wouldn't come back until I was completely healthy, back to 100%, and had a good 3 months of camp in.

Post #14   12/14/09 7:12:26PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Mir's obsession with Lesnar seems borderline unhealthy to me. What is going to happen if he loses in the rematch? I have a feeling he would end up in a pretty deep depression based on the way he talks about this fight.

Post #15   12/14/09 7:16:29PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2