Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

BJ Penn: Diego Sanchez Is Underestimating Me

Print  
Posted By Message

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
MEMPHIS -- Diego Sanchez has repeatedly said that his endurance and cardio will be one of the reasons why he will defeat BJ Penn and capture the lightweight title at UFC 107 on Saturday. But when FanHouse asked "The Prodigy" about that at Wednesday's media workout, Penn, who claims to be in the best shape of his life, said that Sanchez couldn't be more wrong.
link

Post #1   12/10/09 3:28:12PM   

marcus1

Learning to Sprawl

Career:137-112
Chips:
I can't stand BJ but I hope he beats Diego within an inch of his life.

Post #2   12/10/09 3:32:59PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I mean... I don't doubt BJ will beat Diego. I feel the chances are 80/20 in his favor, but let's be honest here.... BJ always says he's in the best shape of his life before fights.

I used to be high on the BJ Penn bandwagon. The way he gassed out against GSP and had no answer for GSP's gameplan really killed it for me. So I gotta take everything BJ says with a grain of salt now. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. That whole thing.

Post #3   12/10/09 3:49:59PM   

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,069-642
Chips:
I have to agree with Diego. If he wins, which I think he will, it will be because of his better conditioning. He was made to go 5 rds and I think he'll prove that to BJ when he smothers him in the final rounds.

Post #4   12/10/09 4:31:33PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,419-833
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I was satisfied with BJ's comments, he didn't come off as cocky as he usually is. I'm picking him, I think it will be a close decision, Diego is going to give him all he can handle but in the end I think he's right when he says he's leaving with the belt.

Post #5   12/10/09 5:30:50PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

The way he gassed out against GSP

That was at 170, Bj's cardio will always be suspect but I havent seen him gas yet at 155... (Florian 4 rounds, Sherk 4 rounds *if I remember correctly) and in both fights he didnt looked gassed, plus I know this is reaching but he did fight 2 5 round decisions a long time ago at 155...

I cant wait to see this fight... I think BJ is by far the most skilled and well rounded fighter Diego has ever faced, but Diego is A-class also and is like the energizer bunny he keeps going and going and goin... Im not really sure what the hell is going to happen..

Last edited 12/10/09 6:11PM server time by cwb
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   12/10/09 6:09:23PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,420-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I mean... I don't doubt BJ will beat Diego. I feel the chances are 80/20 in his favor, but let's be honest here.... BJ always says he's in the best shape of his life before fights.

I used to be high on the BJ Penn bandwagon. The way he gassed out against GSP and had no answer for GSP's gameplan really killed it for me. So I gotta take everything BJ says with a grain of salt now. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. That whole thing.

He didn't gas against GSP, he got beat up by a superior/stronger athlete for 4 rounds and couldn't continue.

Diego has no way near the wrestling ability or strength of GSP. I doubt Diego will even be able to take BJ down, BJ is a better wrestler...and Guida has Diego on his back for a good portion of that fight.

I just don't see how Diego wins this fight.

Post #7   12/10/09 7:17:15PM   

im2fast4u1981

MMA Regular

im2fast4u1981 Avatar

Career:254-142
Camp: Team Xtrem Mma
Chips:
He didn't gas against GSP, he got beat up by a superior/stronger athlete for 4 rounds and couldn't continue.

Diego has no way near the wrestling ability or strength of GSP. I doubt Diego will even be able to take BJ down, BJ is a better wrestler...and Guida has Diego on his back for a good portion of that fight.

Until bj is beat at 155 he is the best in world at 155...just because he got beat by the best 170 in world has nothing 2 do with diego... bj can beat diego anyway he wants... i dont think diego has much more than a punchers chance

Post #8   12/10/09 7:50:13PM   

cDUBB

Learning to Sprawl

Career:517-344
Chips:
I like both guys, but honestly not only does BJ have great takedown defense and submission skills, but excellent ground control. So if Diego rushes out of the gate like he usually does, he could get caught with a trip takedown or something and spend the entire round on his back, which means he's gonna have to spend the better part of 5 minutes trying not to get tapped out.

Although Diego won TUF at 185, and was successful at 170, he's not gonna be able to use size and strength to win because he's not a HUGE lightweight, so I don't think he'll be able to overpower BJ if he gets taken down early.

Post #9   12/10/09 8:22:56PM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
if diego tries to bum rush him, he'll just run into a bunch of jabs.......or

get CAOL UNOed

Post #10   12/10/09 9:27:11PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
LOL I don't know what fight you guys were watching if you think BJ didn't gas and get demolished by GSP. Because that's exactly what happened.

I think you misunderstood the feelings behind my post. I think I'm also on record in another post today saying that he hasn't really shown a propensity to gas at 155 yet. Whatever the case, I'm a BJ Penn fan, and I hope the best for him, but to say that he didn't gas against GSP is a bit ....strange. Watch the fight again. He gassed and got his butt kicked.

Post #11   12/10/09 10:58:31PM   

mojo

Learning to Sprawl

mojo Avatar

Career:278-163
Camp: WEYBURN TOP TEAM
Chips:
Ya BJ did get beat bad by GSP, but that was by possibly the best ground and pound guy in the game, and he has learned from it. If there is anyone that has changed their tune after a loss it's BJ. That interview sounded very humble, respecful, and professional. I think he wins, because Diego spent a large portion of the Guida fight on his back, and BJ works more on the ground than Clay did. He just has more tools, and as far as a puncher's chance I have never seen BJ rocked on his feet by harder punchers than Diego, so I don't see that happening either

Post #12   12/10/09 11:27:20PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
what sucks is i'm not sure if i'm going to be able to watch this....

Post #13   12/11/09 11:40:10AM   

1daveufc

Standup Guy

1daveufc Avatar

Career:612-433
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

Posted by Jackelope

:

Who says he did not have a game plan for GSP?Everyone has a game plan but against GSP they dont work.Plus he is going to gas when probs the best wrestler in the sport is lying on you and GnP you for 4rds.Deigo is no GSP so a just canit see deigo winning but if he does its going to be the preformance of his life.WAR BJ

Post #14   12/11/09 3:54:11PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,420-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

LOL I don't know what fight you guys were watching if you think BJ didn't gas and get demolished by GSP. Because that's exactly what happened.

I think you misunderstood the feelings behind my post. I think I'm also on record in another post today saying that he hasn't really shown a propensity to gas at 155 yet. Whatever the case, I'm a BJ Penn fan, and I hope the best for him, but to say that he didn't gas against GSP is a bit ....strange. Watch the fight again. He gassed and got his butt kicked.

LOL maybe you don't know the definition of the word gassing? He gassed in his first fight against GSP, he gassed in his second fight w/ Hughes.....he did not gas against GSP in their second fight, he was beat up. There is a difference between having no cardio/gas tank and taking punishment for 20 minutes and not being able to continue.

Post #15   12/11/09 5:45:44PM