Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

No Kimbo, no regrets for Coker and Strikeforce

Print  
Posted By Message

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
You may think he sucks and a sham but Kimbo Slice has now proven over and over again that he's a fight promoter's dream. Both of Kimbo's fights on CBS did big numbers and he delivered over 11 millions viewers combined in his two UFC fights on Spike. So as Strikeforce slowly tries to put a dent in the UFC's massive market share of MMA, it must feel like it blew it on Kimbo, right? Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker didn't sound too upset during a conversation on Tuesday with Cagewriter:
link

Post #1   12/9/09 3:44:31PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,228-1,515
Chips:
Looking over the UFC Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight rosters I can't see Kimbo lasting too long. All I can see Kimbo fighting is maybe a few of the TUF guys like Mitrione or Schaub. Kimbo might get one more win or two but after that...he gets slaughtered. The guys from TUF are farther down the ladder than Kimbo anyhow...so those fights don't make sense. I think James Irvin might be a good match up that makes some sense. One guy though. I can understand where Coker and Strikeforce are coming from. The UFC will use Kimbo for all they can though. We may see 2 or 3 more UFC fights from Slice.

Post #2   12/9/09 5:00:36PM   

joshjr

Josh "The Babyface Assassin"

joshjr Avatar

Career:538-351
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Looking over the UFC Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight rosters I can't see Kimbo lasting too long. All I can see Kimbo fighting is maybe a few of the TUF guys like Mitrione or Schaub. Kimbo might get one more win or two but after that...he gets slaughtered. The guys from TUF are farther down the ladder than Kimbo anyhow...so those fights don't make sense. I think James Irvin might be a good match up that makes some sense. One guy though. I can understand where Coker and Strikeforce are coming from. The UFC will use Kimbo for all they can though. We may see 2 or 3 more UFC fights from Slice.

Maybe and maybe not. He is training with ATT and should get alot better fast. Time will tell and he does have an up hill battle but if he wants it bad enough then you never know.

Post #3   12/9/09 11:36:03PM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

I agree. Kimbo is too old and frankliy not good enough to make any real waves in any division. More importantly, his major strengh (his standup) isnt that good. Im yet to be convinced he has real KO power in his hands....who has he knocked out? Tank?

Kimbo will stay in the UFC untill he is no longer popular. They will just do what EliteXC did, but will justify it because he was in TUF (even though he lost his first fight and refused another!).

It is sad for the sport that a guy with skills like Werdum was dropped from UFC for being KO'ed by a real talented up and commer in Dos Santos. But Kimbo loses in TUF is rewarded by being given his own weight class against a fighter with absolutely no ground game.

Can you imagine what Dos Santos would do to Kimbo?

Post #4   12/10/09 6:15:50AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,486-872
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I can't blame Coker.

Even though Strikeforce is legit,for the majority of hardcore UFC eliteist out their Kimbo would have to prove himself in the UFC before they would except him anywere else.

Post #5   12/10/09 10:32:58AM   

vomitshovel

MMA Regular

vomitshovel Avatar

Career:136-93
Camp: Xtreme Fight Militia
Chips:
FACT IS the man's a money maker and entertaining, and UFC will exploit this to no end. its not bad or good it just is what it is.
I hope to see Kimbo improve on the road he's on he really is looking good after the win againts Houston, though his road to complete mma fluency is a long one

Post #6   12/10/09 12:30:12PM