Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Update on controversial UFC sponsor Hoelzer Reich

Print  
Posted By Message

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:
It was only a matter of time.

California-based Hoelzer Reich apparel company has been banned from sponsoring fighters at future UFC and WEC events.

WEC general manager Reed Harris expressed his personal concerns regarding the company's "German-themed" apparel on today's edition of MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio), and the exec told Yahoo! Sports shortly after the interview that Zuffa, LLC, will no longer allow its athletes to wear Hoelzer Reich apparel into the cage at UFC or WEC events.

LINK

Post #1   12/8/09 11:09:27PM   

2hotty

Learning to Sprawl

2hotty Avatar

Career:856-749
Camp: hot kASH
Chips:
Well I guess its a good thing west coast choppers & metal melisha are not UFC sponsors.

Post #2   12/8/09 11:56:48PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by 2hotty

Well I guess its a good thing west coast choppers & metal melisha are not UFC sponsors.

I was going to say, metal mulisha have alot of Nazi esq imagry.

Post #3   12/9/09 1:13:20AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Didn't think that would take long.

There is a big difference between WCC and Metal Militia when compared to this Reich group. Just read several links on them.

Unless I am missing something about Militia, I don't see anyting Nazi-esque. I do believe they were on someone's shorts, but perhaps that was another organization. Anyone help me here.

Post #4   12/9/09 2:02:03AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,763-1,032
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by roadking95th

Didn't think that would take long.

There is a big difference between WCC and Metal Militia when compared to this Reich group. Just read several links on them.

Unless I am missing something about Militia, I don't see anyting Nazi-esque. I do believe they were on someone's shorts, but perhaps that was another organization. Anyone help me here.

Several fighters are sponsored by Metal Mulisha that i can think of:

Dan Henderson
Babalu
Ross Pearson (i think)
Jake Shields
Jason Macdonald

Post #5   12/9/09 3:30:19AM   

Hideous

Learning to Sprawl

Career:229-178
Chips:
not quite sure I see the big deal with their imagery and I dont see anything wrong with using german imagery per se.

Does not KISS (and kiss is a very popular american band?) use the ss as well in their name and I am sure if you look for it , you will probabaly find ss symbols in a lot of places or brands actually.

If anything I thought the cross of nero ( iron cross) would have caused the uproar as that is a rather un- christian symbol as Nero killed 1000s of christians i believe.

Last edited 12/9/09 8:51AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: Removed political/religious speak.

Post #6   12/9/09 8:34:09AM   

dangerfield

MMA Regular

dangerfield Avatar

Career:385-223
Chips:
The Iron cross isn't a NAZI symbol, it was German, yes, but it had been used well before the NAZI's and is still used on their Military Medals.

Its also well used in lots of other places including by Motorhead (and therefore Triple H) and yes WCC.

I doubt it was the iron cross that made ZUFFA think, 'Uh-oh Nazi's' it was probably more to do with the SS logos, the Eagle (which is a bitching symbol despite its conitations) and the Deaths Head skull.

One or two over lapping symbols (eg an iron cross and an eagle) and you might be able to write it off. When you use all but the Swatstika you have to think thta the sponser has some political motive and even if its innocent (an attempt to regain the symbols from the Nazis say) ZUFFA def has the right to dissasocieate themselves from the group especially when you have narrow minded boxing promoters who call the UFC cockfighting for skinheads because they see guys like GSP (who is Francofone) and think: skin-head and therefore NAZI.

Post #7   12/9/09 1:40:34PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
Doesn't HHH use those Iron Crosses? Doesn't WWE promote that to young children? Now don't get me wrong Hoelzer Reich is clearly Nazi...but I don't think Iron Crosses are strcitly for Nazi's

Post #8   12/9/09 4:14:52PM