Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Video: Frank Mir says Roy Nelson should drop to 205, rips Nogueira for excuses

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
In this video interview with former heavyweight champion Frank Mir, we get his thoughts on Kimbo Slice, Roy Nelson, Brock Lesnar and a rematch against Antonio Minotauro Nogueira. Mir rips into Nogueira for making excuses about their fight at UFC 92, he also says Roy Nelson will need to cut to light heavyweight eventually.
link

Post #1   12/8/09 5:06:53PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,763-1,032
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Mir/Big Nog 2 is a fight i want to see.

Post #2   12/8/09 5:08:11PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Mir/Big Nog 2 is a fight i want to see.

You and me both

Post #3   12/8/09 5:31:39PM   

Menard_StC

MMA Regular

Menard_StC Avatar

Career:1,052-623
Chips:
Mir is just jealous that when he tried the belly thing, he had bad cardio.

Oh wait, he ALWAYS has bad cardio!

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 12/8/09 6:11PM server time by Menard_StC
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #4   12/8/09 6:10:18PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:
I don't understand how Roy Nelson would cut weight. He already cuts weight to get to 265.

I understand that he's fat and ideally he would lose all that fat and become a trim 220 and cut the rest to 205 but I just don't see that happening. The guy already trains hard. He has good cardio and is a professional athlete. I don't think with some simple diet adjustments he's going to get down to 205 pounds.

But hey, that's just me.

Post #5   12/8/09 6:48:55PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Oh...he could get down to 205. It would require changing his diet. You can't be his size without trying to be that size. He probably athletically needs about 6000 calories a day to operate when he's training--just to train but he probably consumes 10,000 or so to maintain that weight. The thing is, until he runs into guys who dominate him and it is due to his fatness, why should he? It's kind of nice not to have to drop crazy weight to do your profession, if you think about it. If Albert Haynesworth (NFL) can do his job well at 350, why should he drop to 300?

But I do think that when he fights the really big, heavy wrestlers in this division--Carwin, Cain, Lesnar he'll no longer see that as an advantage. Those guys are huge, fast, and have tremendous bases.

Post #6   12/8/09 6:55:04PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:317-259
Camp: DGK
Chips:
wow, after watching that interview it made me like Frank Mir. Before I thought he was just kind of a douche bag but that shed a new light on him for me.

Nog/Mir again for sure

Post #7   12/8/09 9:35:14PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
Roy is a big,pudgy guy with a gut.That is just how his body is built.Fedor is probably the most in shape,athletic fighter I have ever seen,yet he still looks like a pudgy guy who works construction.Josh Barnett doesn't look like he's ever done anything physical in his life,and that's on roids!

It's just the way these guys are built.Not everyone is a GSP or a Brock Lesnar when it comes to physique.

Compare the bodies of say,Kevin Randleman and Chuck Liddell.Kevin has the body of a true athlete.Chuck has a beer gut.But we all know who the better fighter is,and who has the better cardio and indurance.

Brian.

Post #8   12/8/09 11:03:09PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:

Posted by WheelchairBandit

Roy is a big,pudgy guy with a gut.That is just how his body is built.Fedor is probably the most in shape,athletic fighter I have ever seen,yet he still looks like a pudgy guy who works construction.Josh Barnett doesn't look like he's ever done anything physical in his life,and that's on roids!

It's just the way these guys are built.Not everyone is a GSP or a Brock Lesnar when it comes to physique.

Compare the bodies of say,Kevin Randleman and Chuck Liddell.Kevin has the body of a true athlete.Chuck has a beer gut.But we all know who the better fighter is,and who has the better cardio and indurance.

Brian.

Apparently I have to spread the love but this is my point exactly. You can't train at the level Roy Nelson trains and still be that fat, regardless of calorie consumption, without having a natural tendency towards fatness. I don't care if this guy got his own nutritionist and trained around the clock, he's not ever going to look like Jon Jones.

I don't think he could make 205 and even if he could it require such a reprogramming of his whole body that the pros might not even outweigh the cons. The guy probably decided long ago that 205 wasn't realistic so he decided to make the most of the heavyweight cutoff.

It works for him and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. He might hit the ceiling as far as the quality of opponent he's capable of beating but hey, who doesn't?

Do you really think he'll fair that much better adjusting to a 60 pound weight change to compete in a much deeper and talent rich division?

Let the man be fat, it's his thing and he's had a pretty decent career. TUF winner, former IFL champ, and 14 pro wins. That's more than most guys can say with or without the fat ass belly.

Post #9   12/8/09 11:43:40PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
Yeah,the whole thing with guys cutting to the lightest weight possible has always left me scratching my head.Usually the fighter is never as good as he was at his origanal weight,or he looses something along the way.

Randy Couture,Rashad Evans and Keith Jardine (for example) could all make 185 pounds-both Rashad and Randy have before in their wrestling days.Would either of them fight worth a damn at that weight?Probably not.Hell,Matt Lindland and Dan Henderson could make 170,but why?

I think all the negative comments about Roy are just from people who are jelous that he gets to use that belly to his advantage while punching guys in the face in the crucifix position.That and the fact he has a hot wife.

Brian.

PS-Mir is probably still pissed about Roy making him look bad at Grapplers Quest a few years ago.He's probably not real thrilled at the thought of possibly fighting a guy who,as far as techniques go,is a really bad matchup for him.

Post #10   12/9/09 1:14:48AM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:

Posted by marcoDGK

wow, after watching that interview it made me like Frank Mir. Before I thought he was just kind of a douche bag but that shed a new light on him for me.

Nog/Mir again for sure

Mir/Nog 2 +1

Mir is kind of a douche however he is a smart guy and does make valid points.
let us just see how arrogant he really is and if he really is going to kickbox with Kongo.His intellect should tell him thats a bad idea and if he does I retract my statement of him being smart

Post #11   12/9/09 1:47:13AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
People are forgetting that Big Country was dominated by Arlovski. He will get destroyed by Brock, Carwin and Cain.

Post #12   12/9/09 11:18:32AM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,156-1,214
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Not that I disagree with you that Big Country would likely lose to Brock, Carwin and Cain, but he was the victim of one of the worst Referee stand-ups I've ever seen in that fight with Arlovski.

He had Arlovski in side control and was easily controlling him on the ground when the ref inexplicably decided to stand them back up. IMO he won the first round.

Arlovski showed good heart coming back and getting the stoppage win but he hardly dominated that fight.

Post #13   12/9/09 11:41:55AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by BigIP

People are forgetting that Big Country was dominated by Arlovski. He will get destroyed by Brock, Carwin and Cain.

you are referring to the fight with the janky stand up.

Post #14   12/9/09 11:50:32AM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:

Posted by BigIP

Arlovski didnt dominate Nelson by any means.

Post #15   12/9/09 12:26:14PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2