Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White: Dan Henderson wasn't worth the money and brings nothing to the table

Print  
  Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,329-737
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

The fans who order every PPV are you and I(not so much me anymore), the casual fan orders when they recognize a name. I am not going to pay when it's headlined by tito and Forrest with no one backing them up, I want to see Hendo vs Anderson/nate/wand ect. Fedor vs pretty much anyone and so on. I dont want to see fitch vs pierce.

Well what you want to see doesn't mean that's what everyone else wants. You seam to forget their main target isn't the hardcore fan base as the hardcore fan base is small compared to the casual fan base.

Post #46   12/10/09 3:02:04PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
THey'll watch Dan if he keeps on KO'ing people like he did with Bisping. In truth, he fought Silva and Rampage and those were tough fights. Just few people have seen him. If he fights on CBS, he'll get pretty big, especially if he comes out with his american flag. ;)

Post #47   12/10/09 4:19:53PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I know it's all about the casual fans, I'm just saying it sucks because casual fans come and go, where as the hardcores who have been watching since day one haven't gotten the superfights we were promised. I think we've seen 2 maybe 3 of the big super fights, for the most part it's been Pride rematches and then some fairly decent fights. The way they made it sound it was going to be instant Pride vs UFC superstars.

Post #48   12/10/09 5:10:05PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cmill21

I know it's all about the casual fans, I'm just saying it sucks because casual fans come and go, where as the hardcores who have been watching since day one haven't gotten the superfights we were promised. I think we've seen 2 maybe 3 of the big super fights, for the most part it's been Pride rematches and then some fairly decent fights. The way they made it sound it was going to be instant Pride vs UFC superstars.

I don't disagree that it sucks at times but I think we have gotten a lot of great fights its just some UFC and Pride stars didn't do as well as most thought they would. The fall of Wandy, Chuck, and CroCop. Then you have Shogun getting hurt and losing his first coming out fight. Nog losing to Mir was a shocker for everyone. Then you have Fedor not signing for whatever reason. You top that off with tons of very very talented new comers. I think if Dan had won either fight with Rampage or Anderson he would be a bigger draw for the casual fan but you and I both know as much as it sucks the casual fans are fickle. Hell even some of the hardcore fans are.

Post #49   12/10/09 8:19:33PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:
Agree, and understand. It really bothers me the way things have been happening lately. As far as Dan goes I really don't understand not signing him after putting money in to promoting him on TUF and then he comes out and gets one of the most memorable KO's in the UFC this year at the biiigest event and they let him walk? I don't see the business logic there. And if Strikeforce can afford him, and they don't ussually spend tons, then the UFC definetly could have given that contract to him. I think it has alot to do with Clinch Gear.

Post #50   12/10/09 8:24:32PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Agree, and understand. It really bothers me the way things have been happening lately. As far as Dan goes I really don't understand not signing him after putting money in to promoting him on TUF and then he comes out and gets one of the most memorable KO's in the UFC this year at the biiigest event and they let him walk? I don't see the business logic there. And if Strikeforce can afford him, and they don't ussually spend tons, then the UFC definetly could have given that contract to him. I think it has alot to do with Clinch Gear.

I don't understand it myself but we also don't know what Dan was asking for. It may have just been totally unreasonable from the UFC's point of view.

Post #51   12/11/09 4:35:07PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:
Well I guess now it doesnt matter, Dana said Dan will not be welcomed back into the UFC

Post #52   12/11/09 5:08:37PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Well I guess now it doesnt matter, Dana said Dan will not be welcomed back into the UFC

If Dan tears up Strikeforce on CBS and then decides to negotiate after all is said and done, Dana won't say no to him, I guarantee you that.

Post #53   12/11/09 11:55:21PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
I cant believe what Im reading from Dana..........OHH wait yeah I can. I thought he was past this stuff but I geuss not. He actually said"he brings nothing to the table"!!!!??????? WTF, in his last fight he just derailed the UFC english posterboy. Absolutly killed him. This is what I hate about the UFC, money gets put above all. Not have the best fighters. Although I hope like hell that Hendo and Mouisassi can lock horns. That would be an epic fight

Post #54   12/12/09 9:17:12AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by BustedKnuckle

I cant believe what Im reading from Dana..........OHH wait yeah I can. I thought he was past this stuff but I geuss not. He actually said"he brings nothing to the table"!!!!??????? WTF, in his last fight he just derailed the UFC english posterboy. Absolutly killed him. This is what I hate about the UFC, money gets put above all. Not have the best fighters. Although I hope like hell that Hendo and Mouisassi can lock horns. That would be an epic fight

I agree with a lot of this.

What scares me is the potential down the road for signing and keeping fighters with less skill and more appeal.
I can't jump the gun and say that's what's happening right now and hopefully that will never be the case but it does make me wonder.

Post #55   12/12/09 9:40:44AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,842-1,052
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by BustedKnuckle

I agree with a lot of this.

What scares me is the potential down the road for signing and keeping fighters with less skill and more appeal.
I can't jump the gun and say that's what's happening right now and hopefully that will never be the case but it does make me wonder.

It is hard not to say that is what happening right now considering that tito and Kimbo are in the UFC and Hendo is not.

I think everyone gets why you would do it that way ($$$) but what does it say about the sport and its fans that they would rather see Tito or Kimbo than Hendo? What does that mean for the "long-term" of the sport? Because as nice as the paydays are of the events, it really does limit mma being viewed as a legit sport and not a "sports entertainment" event like WWF.

Post #56   12/12/09 9:48:06AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:
Thank you Nc! Thats exactly how I feel. I will not be purchasing a UFC until they get it through their heads that theres already a WWE and we don't need another one. I'd rather just watch fights, not performances.

Post #57   12/12/09 2:42:43PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ncordless
It is hard not to say that is what happening right now considering that tito and Kimbo are in the UFC and Hendo is not.

I think everyone gets why you would do it that way ($$$) but what does it say about the sport and its fans that they would rather see Tito or Kimbo than Hendo? What does that mean for the "long-term" of the sport? Because as nice as the paydays are of the events, it really does limit mma being viewed as a legit sport and not a "sports entertainment" event like WWF.

But lets not forget we don't know what Dan was asking for. I agree I rather have Dan than both Kimbo and Tito. With the UFC having the most talent still by a long shot I don't think its and issue just yet. Now if the UFC keeps dropping more top 5 talent then I could see this being a big issue and all the hardcore fans will start to revolt (me included). But like I said without knowing what Dan was asking for I don't know how to really look at it other than it sucks.

Post #58   12/12/09 3:11:46PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Yeah Hendo doesnt bring a loud mouth and cocky attitude like Bisping does. Hendo only brings good wrestling, great power and never been knocked out.

But its all good because I have Showtime.

hahaha. my thoughts exactly

Post #59   12/12/09 4:21:51PM   

Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4