Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White: Dan Henderson wasn't worth the money and brings nothing to the table

Print  
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Wow, its amazing how many people are defending Dan when you have no idea how much he was asking for. For all we know, he was asking for Fedor money. Dan's a great fighter and an asset to any org, however, if he was asking for a bitchload of cash, then its completely realistic that Dana would not sign him. He runs a business, and is looking for a return on investment, this isn't the Olympics. Dana signed back Tito, not because he is championship material, but because he puts butts in seats and is still a UFC caliber fighter.

So the UFC is entertainment, it's not a sport?

Post #31   12/8/09 7:16:03PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by warglory

Wow, its amazing how many people are defending Dan when you have no idea how much he was asking for. For all we know, he was asking for Fedor money. Dan's a great fighter and an asset to any org, however, if he was asking for a bitchload of cash, then its completely realistic that Dana would not sign him. He runs a business, and is looking for a return on investment, this isn't the Olympics. Dana signed back Tito, not because he is championship material, but because he puts butts in seats and is still a UFC caliber fighter.

The distinction is never black and white. Sports are entertainment and entertainment often contains aspects of sports. Think WWE.

Post #32   12/8/09 7:35:28PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:
Well if it's all about draw, then it's entertainment. If Dana is only looking for ratings based mostly on personality if you look at it really hard, then it becomes entertainment at the expense of a great sport. Dana says he wants to take the sport to a certain level, well it's pretty clear he doesn't give a **** about the sport or the people who have been around since the start. I'm happy that Brock has drawn in all the WWE fans, but what about the MMA fans who want to see Dan, Fedor, Manhoef, ect. I mean look how long it took them to get little nog, how about Arona? It's like we don't matter.

Post #33   12/8/09 8:07:39PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,431-836
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I see were both you guys are coming from.

It's about both the sport,the draw, and the entertainment but how far can they take it either or which way?

Personaly I see it this way;

I find it hard to justify the fact the UFC can drop Hendo,yet bring in Kimbo or even keep Bisping for that matter. Even despite their popularity.

However, if Dan was asking for too much money according to them,well that's all their is to it.
I think in the end, entertainment for the most part comes first because that's were the money seems to be.
But you have to have the talent as well. The best case scenario is when you get a fighter that can bring both to the table and I think the UFC has done a very good job of blending the two. Both through the UFC's own promoting tactics and through the fighters themselves.

I find it a bit hard to swallow the idea that Hendo wasn't a big draw for the UFC.
I mean yes their are numbers,but the numbers aren't always as cut and dry as some people make them. Not to mention,if he wasn't that much of a merit to the company why make him a coach on TUF or why put his mug on the poster for UFC 100?

In the end,I would say both parties are at fault in various degrees.
Business is business.

Post #34   12/8/09 8:20:07PM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
dana white is proof that money cant buy class!

Post #35   12/8/09 10:14:49PM   

crunch57

Learning to Sprawl

crunch57 Avatar

Career:1,574-963
Camp: Surrey Top Team
Chips:
Typical Dana White. Henderson brings nothing to the table? Well he sure served Bisping on a platter! MMA doesn't need Dana White any more, the sport sells itself.

Post #36   12/8/09 10:45:50PM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:
Lets assume for a second that MMA is the most popular sport in the world. More popular than soccer.

Do you think Dan would have been let go?

Us "hardcore fans" are in the minority and the UFC know it, so letting a guy like Henderson go is a decision that will largely go unnoticed by the "casual fan" majority.

That is also why the UFC have never made it an priority to sign "unknown" top fighters such as Josh Barnett, Gomi, or Arona for example.

If the UFC is a business, fine. That's how they do things, I'm ok with that. But the fact that they go out of their way to be seen as the only mma organisation worth watching is just greed. How does Fedor v Rogers affect their PPV numbers? it doesn't.

What the UFC are afraid of is casual fans, becoming more interested in the sport and then demanding certain fighters be signed by the UFC. If all MMA fans where hardcore fans, then the UFC would act very differently I'm sure.

Post #37   12/9/09 5:19:15AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by warglory

Of course its a sport, but the interests of running a business are also completely relevant. The UFC isn't the only organization that puts popular figures at the forefront of their organization. Why do you think the NFL puts so much advertising and hype into Colts vs Pats games? Because they are bound to garner quite a few viewers, and thus, more ad revenue.

The UFC has become profitable in a very short span, and with their success has given us the ability to watch some of the best fights in MMA history that just about the entire world has access to, both on television or in a live venue. Smart business moves allow the fans to benefit that much more.

Last edited 12/9/09 5:26PM server time by warglory
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #38   12/9/09 5:24:18PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,313-732
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think it would have been better if Dana keep his mouth shut on this one but cant really say he is wrong or not. We have no clue what Dan was asking for or how much money was involved. As much as people like Dan and I agree I enjoy watching him fight but StrikeForce maybe better for him in the long run.

Post #39   12/9/09 7:16:43PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,313-732
Chips:
I wanted to add some people seam to forget this is a company and as such the main focus is profit.

Post #40   12/9/09 7:22:23PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,296-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Dana's attitude will have more fighters going to strikeforce
strikeforce isn't going anywhere

Post #41   12/9/09 9:23:19PM   

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Dana's money would be willing to argue...

Post #42   12/9/09 9:45:37PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by prozacnation1978

Dana's money would be willing to argue...

only if he thinks that particular fighter is "worth it"

Post #43   12/9/09 9:55:13PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
truthfully, the UFC has gotten very popular fast using one approach and now is trying to find it's next approach, IMO. They built the brand on Lidell, Ortiz, Coture. If those names were fighting on the PPV's people watched. People like BJ, people like GSP, and maybe warming to Silva after the Griffin fight, but other than Brock there is no FACE for the UFC anymore. They are their own BRAND meaning the brand is bigger than the fighters and they want the brand to sell itself. However, the PPV approach has been giving pretty small outputs this year past the big July show. There is no FACE now that Brock is out.

Hence, Tito comes back. Lidell comes back. Randy gets to fight more often at Lt. Heavy....they need names but they haven't figured a way to really build them up. Free tv is the way to go to build up talent. I think Cain on free TV will blow people's minds. He should be seen by a LOT of people and he could bring new fans into watching the UFC.

This year had a lot of cards....too many for me to buy and sometimes even care about. I watch because I'm a diehard fan, but most people I know were only interested when Brock fought, when Fedor fought, when Kimbo fought, and were curious when Griffin fought Silva.

Other than that, MMA often doesn't show up on peole's radar screens.....the Pacquiou fight however seemed to be seen, heard, or watched by everyone....crazy.

Post #44   12/10/09 2:27:58AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Of course its a sport, but the interests of running a business are also completely relevant. The UFC isn't the only organization that puts popular figures at the forefront of their organization. Why do you think the NFL puts so much advertising and hype into Colts vs Pats games? Because they are bound to garner quite a few viewers, and thus, more ad revenue.

The UFC has become profitable in a very short span, and with their success has given us the ability to watch some of the best fights in MMA history that just about the entire world has access to, both on television or in a live venue. Smart business moves allow the fans to benefit that much more.

The fans who order every PPV are you and I(not so much me anymore), the casual fan orders when they recognize a name. I am not going to pay when it's headlined by tito and Forrest with no one backing them up, I want to see Hendo vs Anderson/nate/wand ect. Fedor vs pretty much anyone and so on. I dont want to see fitch vs pierce.

Post #45   12/10/09 4:08:41AM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4