Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White: Dan Henderson wasn't worth the money and brings nothing to the table

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I'm starting to wonder how many more big-relatively big names Strikeforce can afford to pick up. Surely they can't keep paying for names like Fedor, Hendo, Arlovski, etc. at the rate that they are.

I think the difference between these guys and elite/affliction is the fact that they haven't bougt out a bunch of orgs and built around one single fighter and they have CBS. They also did 25 million viewers IRRC.

Post #16   12/8/09 3:07:55AM   

fonduktoe

In Full Mount

fonduktoe Avatar

Career:1,539-952
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:
to say a top 10 mw and lhw brings nothing to the table when you're signing people like phil baroni is hilarious. i wish i knew what hendo was asking for when he was still in negotiations with the ufc to put it in perspective. either way there are good fights for him in strikeforce so it's a win/win for me.

Post #17   12/8/09 3:21:04AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Heres the way I look at it, Dan fought Rich at 97, in Dublin, with Shogun(thats pretty much it) on the card, drew in 320,000 buys which is at least $14400000. Dan and Rich made the UFC that much money pretty much on their own. Why can the UFC not pay their top fighters 300,000 a fight when right now other then end of the year and super bowl shows they're having 1 or 2 good fights on the card? They act like they put 4 great fights on every card, they are looking more and more like boxing. I just wen't through every UFC since 97 and I counted at the top end 3 good fights(because 2 cards had Cro Cop so that makes 3 for me) and many had 1 intriguing fight. IMHO the UFC is ripping people off, I honestly can't believe some people shell out $55 for some of these cards. They are lucky everyone takes what they say as gold and keeps buying these things. I'm not trying to bash the UFC, but when you have the kind of drawing power and make as much as you do off of us, how about doing something for the hard core fan who doesn't want to see Fitch vs Pierce or Couture vs Vera. We keep getting screwed because the UFC can say oh this guy is great he's done this and that and on top of that he's got a cheap contract when we miss out on the truly great fights while all the casuals believe it and we lose the great fighters. Oh well now we might get to see Dan vs Jake, Gegard, Fedor, and manhoef.

i have got to agree with you.

Just because dana says that someone isnt worth it doesnt mean there not.its hard not to bad mouth dana but all he does is bad mouth fighters.

im actually glad Strikeforce signed Dan.ive said it before an im still saying it.i want Strikeforce to compete with the UFC.an the more stubborn an greedy dana wants to be.the more successful Strikeforce will become.it just takes time.Strikeforce has been signing pretty recognizable names for some time now.an to be frank about it im excited about it.

The thing i like about Strikeforce is that they actually WANT to make superfights happen.with the DREAM co-promotion ideas they want to set up fights that WE fans want to see.the UFC however doesnt want superfights, what they want is their fighter to reign supreme over everyone...an that just irks me for some reason.

Post #18   12/8/09 9:36:06AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
I find it distasteful that Dana has to trash anyone not immediately with him at all times doing whatever he says. I don't much care for those kind of guys in real, everday life, and I find it in poor taste in his case as well. Dan was nothing but class in his response to Dana and thanked the UFC. Dan hasn't just fought for the UFC, he's fought for everyone and given a lot to MMA, he has earned a measure of respect and dignity.

Dana should say, good bye, he wasn't in our plans and leave it at that. Instead, he feels the need to totally trash a guy who hasn't even spoken badly about him. THis isn't TIto leaving over a bad break up, this is a fighter who negotiated in good faith, you didn't reach agreement and someone else got him---probably for less. That's the way it goes. I doubt you'll see Dan leaving Strikeforce talking crap about Scott Coker either and when/if he does leave SF, Coker will definitely NOT talk badly about him.

Post #19   12/8/09 10:23:49AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Chips:
To be quite frank, it will be nice to see Dan now without having to pay 50 for a PPV. I'll get to see him fight some good fights on free Tv. That makes me happy. I expect that you will see a slow trickle of fighters at times to this org. simply because the truth is the UFC is overbooked and is putting on too many shows right now.

Post #20   12/8/09 10:25:45AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:
If Dan wasnt a big PPV draw, then why should that matter?

The best fighters should get the best contracts surely?

If all the top fighters also get a % of the PPV, then guys who are more popular than others would get more money through that.

I know the UFC is a business, but letting Henderson go so easy just isnt right. The UFC purchased Pride so they could consolidate the talent and take MMA to the next level.

They wanted to be the only major mma organisation, so then they have to take responsibility for the top guys who are not so popular.

If not? Then please dont discredit the orginisations that are not so motivated by popularity of their fighters, but are more concerned about their talent.

Last edited 12/8/09 11:09AM server time by tomp6581
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   12/8/09 11:07:59AM   

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,093-662
Chips:
Dana really shouldve resigned him. Especially after maybe the flashiest KO hes ever had

Post #22   12/8/09 11:59:40AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
i'm glad he's in strikeforce.

ufc should have Joe Rogan as their spokesperson. He props fighters accordingly whether or not they are in the UFC. Dana can do all the behind the scenes dirty work still.

dana loves being in the limelight and he loves the power he believes his words have.

Last edited 1/1/10 4:15AM server time by maxone

Post #23   12/8/09 12:54:32PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Chips:
Dana loves being the "UFC" and he has eaten his words more than once, but his arrogance is becoming pretty astounding lately.

Post #24   12/8/09 4:18:27PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
They resign Tito for big $$$ when the chances of him ever winning a relevant fight again are nill..............yet they won't give Dan a little extra moola?C'mon!

Dan's poor PPV numbers come from the fact that he got stuck on two European cards (which never draw big numbers,no matter who's fighting on them),and got matched up against Anderson Silva at a time when he wasn't pulling big numbers yet.

It's funny,that post-TUF 9 and a brutal highlight reel KO on the biggest UFC card ever,that the UFC would decide to let Dan go.Right now is when he's going to be the most popular and sell the most PPV's,coming off the show and the KO of Bisping.

If anything,they should have re-signed him and had him fight at 205-they need contenders in that division and he would have made for some incredible matchups that would have sold big-who wouldn't buy Dan vs. Shogun?

The only upside for the UFC in letting Dan go to Strikeforce is the hopes that he helps drain them financially along with all the other big name,high dollar fighters they have on roster.Dana is probably hedging his bets on Strikeforce going under within the next year or so and being able to get back Dan for a reasonable price.

In the meantime,I'm looking forward to seeing Dan fight Shields,Jacare,and Mousasi.And I would literaly flip my lid if they could do a fight with Fedor.That would probably be the greatest superfight ever-the Pride welterweight and middleweight champ against the Pride heavyweight champ.Dan has the skills,the heart and the sheer toughness to give Fedor a tough fight.

Brian.

Post #25   12/8/09 4:21:26PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:992-648
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Yeah Hendo doesnt bring a loud mouth and cocky attitude like Bisping does. Hendo only brings good wrestling, great power and never been knocked out.

But its all good because I have Showtime.

lol so do i

Post #26   12/8/09 4:42:29PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I'm starting to wonder how many more big-relatively big names Strikeforce can afford to pick up. Surely they can't keep paying for names like Fedor, Hendo, Arlovski, etc. at the rate that they are.

Strikeforce will keep signing big names, we just won't get to see them fight (more than once a year) is all.....

Last edited 12/8/09 4:58PM server time by MMAcca

Post #27   12/8/09 4:57:19PM   

fullfighting

MMA Regular

fullfighting Avatar

Career:151-94
Chips:
Ive tried to like Dana but he is just an absolutely arrogant walking contradiction. I thought he was trying to make this a real sport and the biggest sport in the world? So you let go one of best athletes? He's not a big PPV draw? He's one of the best fighters in the world and he can only make your sport/product more legit. For Dana to talk like this makes me think he's more about $$ and less about a great sport/product.

Post #28   12/8/09 6:34:16PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Wow, its amazing how many people are defending Dan when you have no idea how much he was asking for. For all we know, he was asking for Fedor money. Dan's a great fighter and an asset to any org, however, if he was asking for a bitchload of cash, then its completely realistic that Dana would not sign him. He runs a business, and is looking for a return on investment, this isn't the Olympics. Dana signed back Tito, not because he is championship material, but because he puts butts in seats and is still a UFC caliber fighter.

Post #29   12/8/09 7:12:26PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Chips:
It would be interesting to peek in on the contracts that the guys sign with Strikeforce. Is there a substantial difference between an EXCLUSIVE UFC contract and a non exclusive contract with SF?

I have no idea, maybe someone here knows but it would seem in my mind, that if you were signed to a non exclusive contract and could fight for other organizations outside of the US or in other martial arts/boxing, etc... that you may not be saddled with the same minimum number of fights, with set prices by a set time. Your management may not push for that if you can get more latitutde somewhere else and you negotiate so that you can create other revenue streams outside of SF. Then you wouldn't have a fighter on "retainer" and be paying him for nothing or scrambling to find him a fight because of contract language. You would have the freedom to put in fighters as you see fit based upon your schedule.

BUt then I don't know. The UFC carries a LOT Of exclusive contracts though. I wonder how much it costs to buy out the contracts when they can't get fights for them? I know one guy that got a 275K three fight deal and has only been on TV once. Not sure how THAT is sustainable in the UFC. If I was DANA i might be more concerned about that than SF.

Post #30   12/8/09 7:13:15PM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4