Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Exclusive: Why Henderson Chose Strikeforce

Print  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,320-1,389
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
herdog.com: Why did you pick Strikeforce over the UFC?
Henderson: The decision was based on a number of things. It wasn’t just a financial thing. It was the fact that I felt I wasn’t getting the fight that I wanted in the UFC. That was a big part of that -- that I wasn’t and that it got yanked away from me. I think I stepped up for the UFC a number of times and had earned that right again for a title fight. And the fact that publicity-wise, CBS offers quite a bit more than a pay-per-view and Spike TV.

Link

Post #1   12/7/09 7:02:09PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
And the UFC is trying to destroy Dan's clothing business(kind of like a retirement fund for a guy like Dan). UFC, you f'd up big time.

Post #2   12/7/09 7:44:00PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

UFC, you f'd up big time.

Not really. Hendo's not a huge draw for PPV numbers dispite the fact that he's stil a top competitor. THey may have F'd up in the fact that they let one of the best 185'ers walk which cheapen's their division a bit. But as a business decision Hendo likely wasn't going to return on the money he was asking for.

I think it's a smart business move for both sides. Hendo likely wasn't going to get a strap in either the 205 or 185 divisions in the UFC. His clothing line was banned, and he wasn't getting the promotional push. With Strikeforce he's got a real chance at both belts and he'll get to do it while wearing his clothing line on CBS in front of countless more viewers then the UFC can get.

I'm exciuted for the prospect. Props Hendo.

Post #3   12/7/09 9:00:25PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

And the UFC is trying to destroy Dan's clothing business(kind of like a retirement fund for a guy like Dan). UFC, you f'd up big time.

I always find it interesting how you choose your words. The UFC is no longer allowing a former employee's side business the privilege (yes, it's a privilege, not a right) to use adspace on their PPV timeslot. It's ridiculous to say they are trying to DESTROY his clothing business. Zuffa pays for the time they are on PPV, so they have every right to choose what is on display during that timeframe and being associated with their brand. Regardless of whether it's for petty reasons or not, the choice is theirs.

And while I'm sure the extra money would be nice, if Dan is half as good at managing money as he is at fighting, he'll be fine for retirement. He made as much at UFC 100 as a large percentage of school teachers make in a decade...and that's before the sponsorship dollars roll in. So, using the sympathy approach might work while discussing certain fighters, it doesn't really sway my opinion when talking about one of the highest paid fighters in the sport.

Post #4   12/8/09 12:44:20AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by cmill21

I always find it interesting how you choose your words. The UFC is no longer allowing a former employee's side business the privilege (yes, it's a privilege, not a right) to use adspace on their PPV timeslot. It's ridiculous to say they are trying to DESTROY his clothing business. Zuffa pays for the time they are on PPV, so they have every right to choose what is on display during that timeframe and being associated with their brand. Regardless of whether it's for petty reasons or not, the choice is theirs.

And while I'm sure the extra money would be nice, if Dan is half as good at managing money as he is at fighting, he'll be fine for retirement. He made as much at UFC 100 as a large percentage of school teachers make in a decade...and that's before the sponsorship dollars roll in. So, using the sympathy approach might work while discussing certain fighters, it doesn't really sway my opinion when talking about one of the highest paid fighters in the sport.

You forgot the part where the UFC is going out of its way to ban a non contending clothing company, to spite a fighter.

Post #5   12/8/09 2:08:16AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

You forgot the part where the UFC is going out of its way to ban a non contending clothing company, to spite a fighter.

I'm assuming you mean "competing", so I'll go with that. Well, I guess it depends on your definition of competing, but it's really a moot point. My beef was with suggesting that they we're attempting to destroy Dan's clothing business...that's an over-the-top ridiculous statement. Was the move childish? Probably. Was it petty? Perhaps. But that's really it.

They have every right to pick and choose the brands that are shown on PPV, while they're flipping the bill. Zuffa is a privately owned company, so they don't have to answer to stock holders or anyone else for that matter. I know people get their panties in a bunch over what sponsors are allowed, but I could really care less as long as sponsorship in general is still allowed. If fighters were payed more, I wouldn't care either way, but as it stands, that's the only part that really matters. How many fighters have walked out without any logos on their shorts because they couldn't find anyone willing to pay them? None that I recall, so the argument that it hurts the individual fighters doesn't really hold much weight.

Post #6   12/8/09 2:29:26AM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Now he can give Mousasi a good fight............and lose

Post #7   12/8/09 9:13:06AM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,202-1,233
Chips:
It didn't sound like it was an overly contentious re-negotiation process. Dana said some stupid things, but he always does. He may never learn. Hendo, I think, would not have left if he was not also getting a good deal at SF.

In the end it adds legitimacy to SF. For those of us who think it's good to have an alternative to the UFC ( or a competitor), that's a good thing.

Post #8   12/8/09 5:20:29PM