Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Henderson Reaches Agreement with Strikeforce

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This is huge pick up for Strikeforce and a tremendous loss for the UFC. Unfortunately, this will be a detriment to Dan's legacy. No matter how sucessful he is in Strikeforce it will never match what he could've done in the UFC. The talent simply isn't as as deep or as high.

Post #16   12/7/09 1:19:48PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
I don't think it will tarnish, diminish, or prevent the adding to his legacy. I am a big Hendo fan. That being said, I think he would have a difficult time beating Silva. That is the one fight that would greatly add to his legacy.

There are enough fights in Strikeforce for Dan. He said this would probably be his last contract. You have Shields, Gegard, Fedor, Jacare, Diaz, Melvin, Babalu, etc...

The first three are not going to afect his legacy, but rather just secure it. I believe he is only missing out on Spider, Dragon, and Shogun. While those names are huge, Dan isn't fighting the latter two anytime soon.

Don't forget that Dana already pissed on his brand. So, if money was close, why not Strikeforce?

Here is my 5 fight retirement plan for Dan.

Defeats Shields for title.
Defends against Diaz and Jacare.
Defeats Gegard for title.
Defeats Fedor for title for first ever 3 belt champion. Ok, so maybe all that won't happen

Last edited 12/7/09 2:31PM server time by roadking95th
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   12/7/09 1:51:15PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,292-1,292
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

Should we expect an F-bomp riddled rant from Dana?

Ask and you shall receive.

"He's happy, but the reality is that I pushed him into signing that deal," White told FanHouse. "I told people over the weekend that he'd sign within the next week."

and

White says that while he originally entered negotiations in good faith, after three or four meetings with Henderson and his management, he realized it was unlikely the two sides would come to terms. Eventually, he lowered his original offer, effectively forcing Henderson's hand in signing with Strikeforce.

Finally

"For the money he wanted, he's not worth it," he said. "He's not a big pay-per-view star, he's not a big attraction, and he's not going to sell out arenas. He wants way too much and he doesn't bring anything to the table.

"Nothing's going to help Strikeforce," he said. "They have too many fighters under contract and not enough events. They can't keep some of their obligations to fighters already. Either they're going to start breaching contracts or paying fighters not to fight. It'll take a lot more than one guy to help them. Their whole business model is f****d. They're coming after UFC? Yeah, OK.

"I could care less," he continued. "Here's the reality: If I wanted him, he'd be in the UFC. It's not like, 'F***, Strikeforce beat me out.' He's been a free agent for a long time. If I wanted him, I would have signed him by now."
"

Link to full article

Post #18   12/7/09 2:54:39PM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
Dana is probably still bitter from the time hendo slammed him to the mat.

Post #19   12/7/09 3:21:03PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
sad to see hendo leave ufc but at least know he will get his belt
i hope one day he will be back in the ufc, but there are alot of exciting matchups for him in strikeforce

Post #20   12/7/09 5:02:43PM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
I really though Dan would finish his days in the UFC but now that he sign with StrikeForce i kind of love the idea. Finally someone is going to shut up Shield lol then give Mousasi a real test.

Post #21   12/7/09 5:19:12PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Dana f'd up. Dan is exciting and people do like to watch him fight. He's giving strikeforce two champions who finish and do it in an exciting manner. After the last few UFC's many people I know have said they will never buy another UFC again, and that the events have been sucking big time, now they give up an exciting fighter to a growing event thats on free tv....hmmm....

Post #22   12/7/09 5:58:38PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
A Hendo/Diaz fight would be the bomb

Post #23   12/7/09 6:50:07PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
This was shitty news to me as soon as I saw it but some of these fights I realize could be alright.

Hendo vs Diaz, Miller, and Fedor (if it happens) would be awesome

Actually I guess he and Miller train together but maybe they'd set it aside for a scrap.

Post #24   12/7/09 6:56:20PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,632-1,680
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Great job S/F....bad job UFC....Dan will own Shields and be MW Champ soon....Dan will defeat Gegard for his belt (after he fights Babalu) as well....Dan will hold 2 titles again.....Dan probably won't have to fight Diaz, but if he does he will own...Dan will probably fight Fedor before he retires and lose....Dan's a legend!

Post #25   12/7/09 7:09:37PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
The irony is that when he says they have too many fighters under contract, he actually talking more about himself. The open ended nature of some of the Strikeforce contracts are very fighter friendly and appealing to the people that sign with Strikeforce. The UFC imo throws TOO MANY events and while I love mmA, i don't love shelling out 50 bucks for a mediocre event. I'm not a every month PPV buyer. I buy BIG fights so I can have parties that are linked to them. I don't buy every event with lackluster headliners so that I can watch fights---I'll go to a bar, a friend's house, or watch online later for that.

Post #26   12/7/09 7:40:38PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
vs Fedor? seriously is strikeforce THAT hard pressed for opponents for Fedor?

Post #27   12/7/09 8:27:45PM   

submissionartist1

KING of the COMPOUND

submissionartist1 Avatar

Career:490-392
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:

Posted by kopower

Can't wait for Hendo vs Mousasi

Now this i like!!

Last edited 12/7/09 10:22PM server time by submissionartist1
Edit note/reason: Gotta go wiyh Diaz too

Post #28   12/7/09 10:20:33PM   

cj_striker

MMA Regular

cj_striker Avatar

Career:341-252
Camp: Crucible Fighting Systems
Chips:
I completely side with Hendo on his decision to leave the UFC, although I am sad to see him go ( I really wanted to see him in a rematch with Anderson), but Dana once again has acted like an arrogant a**hole and drove off a great fighter. The UFC will go on and be just fine without Hendo, but the MW division would have been much more exciting with the #2 or #3 (depending on where you rate Hendo and Marquardt) still fighting in it. I'm just going to stay focused on the positves of the situation and be happy to watch Hendo vs. Shields ( in which Hendo should definitely win, but if by some chance Shields manages to beat him, everyone will HAVE to start giving him major props, but that's a big if). Of course Hendo vs. Fedor would be a dream match up, but I am super excited about Hendo vs. Mousasi ( Hendo is obviously one of the top ten MW and LHW in the world and I personally feel like Mousasi has the skill set to be as well, but hasn't had the opportunity to fight the competition needed to prove that). Mousasi vs Hendo imo has the potentially to be fight of the year in 2010, it better happen.

Post #29   12/7/09 10:36:47PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by RearNakedJoke

vs Fedor? seriously is strikeforce THAT hard pressed for opponents for Fedor?

No, but Hendo has fought at HW and even beat Big Nog. On top of that Dan wouldn't be that much smaller then Fedor. I could see Dan fighting in three championship matches. Dana just gave Strikeforce 3 very marketable championship fights.

Post #30   12/7/09 11:57:41PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3