Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

NSAC's Keith Kizer Clarifies Jon Jones DQ

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Jon “Bones” Jones was disqualified following three illegal elbow strikes to the face of Matt Hamill at “The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale” on Saturday night. The fight was stopped due to a deep laceration to the bridge of Hamill’s nose.

There was confusion among spectators and the broadcast team after referee Steve Mazzagatti stopped the fight, wondering whether or not Jones, who dominated Hamill to that point, was the winner.

Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer fielded questions from the media during the post-fight press conference. He explained why the bout was ruled a disqualification and not a no contest, and confirmed there will be no disciplinary action taken against Jones.

“At the end of the day, you had the illegal elbows that cut him up and had to be stopped. The only call you can make in that situation is disqualification,” Kizer told the media. “It was the referee stopping the fight due to the damage to Matt Hamill, to his face.

“It was completely the referee’s call.”

LINK

Post #1   12/7/09 9:32:17AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Chips:
Something still bothers me.

“Once Mr. Jones got off of Mr. Hamill, (Mazzagatti) took the point away. When he went back to check on Mr. Hamill, he saw that he wasn’t in condition to continue due to facial wounds.

Is Keith avoiding saying that Maz stopped it due to a cut? If it was stopped due to a cut, then it should've been stopped by a doctor.

My other concern is the way it looked to be called off. Matt Hamill was lying on his back with blood in his eyes, so obviously they're closed. Maz leans in to ask Matt if he's done. Matt doesn't respond, so Maz waives his arms. I'm not truly sure if Maz was expecting an answer from a deaf guy with his eyes closed, but I'm sure he had no idea a question was even asked of him.

Post #2   12/7/09 11:17:52AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Mazzagatti made the right call, but unfortunately for Jones it cost him the win. Jones will be treated like he won that fight and come back to face better competition.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #3   12/7/09 11:18:39AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,091-851
Chips:
refs can stop fights due to cuts too if the blood is getting in the fighters eye(s).

Post #4   12/7/09 1:00:08PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tmas

refs can stop fights due to cuts too if the blood is getting in the fighters eye(s).

But Keith Kizer states that it was due to facial wounds, not because of an issue with vision. Not to mention, I've never seen a ref stop a fight for a cut without asking the fighter about his vision or getting advice from a doctor. Steve waived it off immediately.

Last edited 12/7/09 1:34PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   12/7/09 1:19:53PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Chips:
I still feel Maz made a bunch of errors on this fight.

1. The fight should have been stopped long before the illegal elbows were even used.

2. Maz asked a deaf fighter if he could continue while said fighter had his eyes closed.

3. He stopped the fight based on a cut without even having a doctor check the cut.

Now some will say Matt was intelligently defending himself. When the fact is he really wasn't he was stuck being mounted with no way of escape. Just because he was covering his head doesn't mean he is intelligently defending just means he is still awake. If he was truly able to intelligently defend himself he would have been making an effort to escape and not just covering up.

Post #6   12/7/09 2:18:08PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Now some will say Matt was intelligently defending himself. When the fact is he really wasn't he was stuck being mounted with no way of escape. Just because he was covering his head doesn't mean he is intelligently defending just means he is still awake. If he was truly able to intelligently defend himself he would have been making an effort to escape and not just covering up.

Agreed. It's no different than a fighter "turtling up" and covering his head/face. If he takes too many shots without doing something to get out of the position, the ref stops the fight.

Post #7   12/7/09 2:22:59PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by telnights

Agreed. It's no different than a fighter "turtling up" and covering his head/face. If he takes too many shots without doing something to get out of the position, the ref stops the fight.

And from my count, 89 strikes were thrown once Jones was in the mount.

Post #8   12/7/09 2:46:17PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:
Another thing I'd like to point out is that the only visible wound on Hamill's face was the cut...and the cut was present before the illegal shots were thrown. So, if the fight was stopped due to face wounds, then it would be stopped due to the beating he took before the illegal elbows. I'm willing to take a look at any other fight-stopping wounds that Matt may have suffered, but I just can't find them. I'm just curious to see what Maz saw I guess.

Post #9   12/7/09 3:05:13PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
89 unanswered strikes and the man that delivered loses, I dont care that two of them were illegal, the first 87 wern't lol
also I love how Keith is overlooking the fact that not because of the cut, Hamil thought this fight was stopped because of his shoulder, not the blood, cut and he didnt even notice the elbows were illegal.
The glaring thing to me is if Jones woulda just stood up, just said f**k it, Im tired of beating this guy down and let him up, Hamil woulda said Im done
Jones coulda finished that fight a dozen ways from his position, Hamil got real lucky on this one, the fight coulda been stopped at any point during that display of total f'n domination and it woulda been a good call lol

Post #10   12/7/09 4:00:40PM   

Drudinh

MMA Sensei

Drudinh Avatar

Career:1,630-1,072
Chips:
All it takes to settle this is a rematch to show that once again Jones will come out with a win

Post #11   12/8/09 2:46:40AM