Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

From Backyard to Spotlight, Kimbo Evolving

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,386-1,258
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Plucked out of backyard brawls on YouTube and thrown into mixed martial arts main events on CBS, it’s no surprise that the weight of expectation clouds reasonable expectations for Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson.

Couple his initial foray into MMA on CBS with his success as a ratings bonanza on the recent season of The Ultimate Fighter and Kimbo is really in a no-win situation. He’ll never be able to live up to the expectations of an attention deficit society.

Kimbo made his Octagon debut at The Ultimate Fighter finale on Saturday night, the first step in his journey towards credibility. It’s a journey that he knows is going to be a long road to travel, but he seems to put it in a reasonable perspective, even if others don’t.

LINK

Post #1   12/7/09 9:30:02AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,566-924
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
That kind of reminds me of a more elaborate version of what I said on another thread;

"I can feel sympathy for Kimbo.
It's not his fault stardom found him. But now he's got this huge obligation and responsiblilty to live up to the hype put upon him.
Whether it's fair or unfair, that's the hand that's been put upon him and now he's got to play it the best he can.

So far he's not been able to deliver the goods but he did go into the snake pit by joining the cast of TUF and for that he has my respect. "

Kimbo is evolving.
The problem is he's not 20. Hell,he's not even 30.
Though Kimbo has shown the ability to absorb all this new information within the realm of MMA,i'm afraid his biggest foe is none other than time itself.
I have no doubt that if Kimbo was a younger man just coming into the game he would be a force not to take lightly.
But with in regards to were he's at now the man has a lot of catching up to do.
I wish Kimbo the best and am interested to see how far he can make it in this sport (without the hype).

Post #2   12/7/09 10:57:26AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,063-1,277
Chips:
i think kimbo has great enthuasiasm and has a real open mind to learn...which will take him further than if he didnt

i have always felt watching all his old and new fights, although strong and athletic, he seems to lack the raw athleticism needed by a top level mma fighter today. i think this is evident in his fighting areas where he is lacking ie ground...even some stand up parts. granted he has improved and learned a lot, but a natural athlete would be more fluid and smooth with aspects even if its not their strong point

i think hell be able to put on some good fights, but will never be at the top of the division, however always a contender with atleast a punchers chance

Post #3   12/7/09 12:58:05PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I don't mind kimbo, in fact I like him as a person, but that fight was boring.

Post #4   12/7/09 6:01:01PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:332-275
Camp: DGK
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

I don't mind kimbo, in fact I like him as a person, but that fight was boring.

That fight was mainly made boring due to Houston being so F'ing scared of Kimbo. He literally ran in circles for the whole first round. Kimbo wanted to push the action.

I don't think Kimbo would do as well against someone who is more on top of their game.

Post #5   12/7/09 11:50:13PM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,386-1,258
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by marcoDGK

Kimbo wanted to push the action.

If he wanted to, he didn't do a very good job at it. Neither guy was pressing anything.

Post #6   12/8/09 8:31:41AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
I was surprised how scared Alexander was of Kimbo. He gave him a great deal of space, did a great job of movement....but without attacking to mix it up. Kimbo surprised me with his ground. I didn't expect him to take a veteran mma fighter down so easily and move into mount. With a year or more of ground under his belt he'll be able to do something with that. He can progress and already has in a short time. He won't be a champ, but I think we can all agree that it isn't just champs that are entertaining. You need midlevel and gatekeepers, and I think you need older fighters that are evenly matched too.

Post #7   12/8/09 10:29:42AM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:332-275
Camp: DGK
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by marcoDGK

Kimbo wanted to push the action.

If he wanted to, he didn't do a very good job at it. Neither guy was pressing anything.

I say he wanted to because it looked like he was calling him out and not backing down when they would exchange. He was attempting to cut him off when he was going in circles (not very well) and being more aggressive over all.

I guess I should say "his willingness to fight was there unlike Houston Alexander."

Post #8   12/8/09 2:54:56PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:1,012-656
Chips:
I think Kimbo is evolving in his game...and pretty quickly I might add. There is a short window of time left in his fighting career and an even smaller one in his career with the UFC.

Look, people see him as a fighter with a good chin who punches. If he wants to buy some time he better start knock'n guys out !!!

Post #9   12/8/09 4:10:34PM