Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Whose next for kimbo?

Print  
Whose next for kimbo?
Steve Cantwell 2 4%
James McSweeney 7 13%
Brian Stann 10 19%
Matt Mitrione 16 30%
Stephan Bonnar 12 22%
Other 7 13%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:
Who will kimbo fight next? Im really high on a fight with Bonnar which i think would be a great fight. But i could see some other great matchups too. If you put other say who.

Post #1   12/6/09 10:46:09AM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,878-1,108
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
Ive been really impressed with Kimbo. I think his attitude in the house was brilliant. For now I see the UFC giving him people who will stand and bang a bit like Elite XC did with out the extra bonuses in there pay.

I think Matt Mitrione would be a good match up. Both guys hit hard and can both take a punch.

Post #2   12/6/09 11:31:47AM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:
That second round slam Kimbo used on Houston was AWESOME!!! I kept seeing it in my sleep last night!!
And all the guys you listed for Kimbo to fight are in Light-Heavy... is Kimbo moving down or something?
I guess I'd like to see him fight Rich Franklin maybe?

Post #3   12/6/09 12:06:46PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
I'm gonna guess Mitrione.

Post #4   12/6/09 12:38:51PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,426-852
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by MisterFreeze

That second round slam Kimbo used on Houston was AWESOME!!! I kept seeing it in my sleep last night!!
And all the guys you listed for Kimbo to fight are in Light-Heavy... is Kimbo moving down or something?
I guess I'd like to see him fight Rich Franklin maybe?

Kimbo would get tooled by Franklin !

Post #5   12/6/09 12:39:34PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:
ya everyone seems to be forgetting that he didnt actually finish houston alexander, he slammed him real good in the 2nd rd but that was about it. . .

im having a hard time thinking of who he could get another win against. no disrespect to alexander but he is pretty much the bottom of the barrel, and that was a catchweight fight. surely the ufc doesnt plan on creating a cruiserweight just for kimbo. my guess would be that they match him up against coleman after he fights randy

Post #6   12/6/09 1:27:21PM   

Kizzzzurt

Learning to Sprawl

Kizzzzurt Avatar

Career:42-21
Chips:
I think he should fight Mitrione. Would be pretty good.

Post #7   12/6/09 1:32:20PM   

Gannon

MMA Regular

Gannon Avatar

Career:2,106-1,135
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Gladiator

ya everyone seems to be forgetting that he didnt actually finish houston alexander, he slammed him real good in the 2nd rd but that was about it. . .

im having a hard time thinking of who he could get another win against. no disrespect to alexander but he is pretty much the bottom of the barrel, and that was a catchweight fight. surely the ufc doesnt plan on creating a cruiserweight just for kimbo. my guess would be that they match him up against coleman after he fights randy

Yeah... all of these "Who should Kimbo fight next?, etc. etc." is just what I was afraid of.

There is literally no one the UFC can give him that he could beat. Coleman would take him down all day.

So far I've heard: Franklin, Vera, Irvin, Coleman, Bonnar, etc. etc. You guys are kidding me, right?!?! Even in his win last night (which IMO he actually lost 29-28), he looked like **** against how Gladiator put it, "the bottom of the barrel."

Post #8   12/6/09 1:36:37PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Yeah... all of these "Who should Kimbo fight next?, etc. etc." is just what I was afraid of.

There is literally no one the UFC can give him that he could beat. Coleman would take him down all day.

So far I've heard: Franklin, Vera, Irvin, Coleman, Bonnar, etc. etc. You guys are kidding me, right?!?! Even in his win last night (which IMO he actually lost 29-28), he looked like **** against how Gladiator put it, "the bottom of the barrel."

After last night I have to! Kimbo showed that he really did lack hand speed/power, knowledge in counter striking ect....his ground game is extremely rudimentary....I don't think he is really ready for all of this. Not to mention his complete lack of endurance, and that he couldn't come down to 205 just proves to me he isn't really quite where he needs to be as an athlete yet for the elite in the MMA world. Even low end guys in the UFC LHW Div. (Bonnar, Irvin, Schaffer, ect...) I see beating Kimbo in high-light reel fashion. Too bad to, I really like the guy now.

Post #9   12/6/09 2:36:06PM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:

After last night I have to! Kimbo showed that he really did lack hand speed/power, knowledge in counter striking ect....his ground game is extremely rudimentary....I don't think he is really ready for all of this. Not to mention his complete lack of endurance, and that he couldn't come down to 205 just proves to me he isn't really quite where he needs to be as an athlete yet for the elite in the MMA world. Even low end guys in the UFC LHW Div. (Bonnar, Irvin, Schaffer, ect...) I see beating Kimbo in high-light reel fashion. Too bad to, I really like the guy now.

Well I don't wanna criticize Kimbos endurance just yet, after all it was his first time cutting weight. Give him more time to get used to weight cutting before we start questioning his endurance.

Oh! and I wouldn't consider Houston Alexander "bottom of the barrel" I'd say he is lower-middle class.

Last edited 12/6/09 5:18PM server time by MisterFreeze
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   12/6/09 5:17:37PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I also agree that Kimbo is no where near ready for UFC caliber opponents. Its good for his bank account that he blew up when he did with the fame, but as far as being a legit contender, he has completely become a small fish in a big pond as they say, and based on his discussion with Dana on the show, I think he realizes it. I foresee Kimbo losing his next match, no matter who its against, and I hope for his sake that he gets released from whatever his contract is so that he can improve in the smaller shows. He has the money to continue to train with ATT (excellent choice for him btw), and fight smaller shows with smaller paychecks. He should be taking advantage of the good fortunes he has received up until now, and train like the dickens without the pressure of the big show just yet.

Post #11   12/6/09 5:39:56PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:

Posted by MisterFreeze

Well I don't wanna criticize Kimbos endurance just yet, after all it was his first time cutting weight. Give him more time to get used to weight cutting before we start questioning his endurance.

Oh! and I wouldn't consider Houston Alexander "bottom of the barrel" I'd say he is lower-middle class.

Cutting to what weight class?!? 215lb is not a weight class!

Houston isnt a heavyweight and was cut from the ufc because he lost 3 in a row at 205, who is lower than than him in the division?

Last edited 12/6/09 6:35PM server time by Gladiator
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #12   12/6/09 6:28:42PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Kimbo has never cut weight before and the fight was set at 215 so its not like he couldn't make that....he himself admits that he's a work in progress...while I don't think there are many guys that he could beat I still give him props for being the man that he is and humbling himself through the TUF process and coming out last night and clearly showing improvement...bottom of the barrel or not Alexander is still a legitimate pro fighter...that Kimbo beat...

Post #13   12/6/09 6:41:47PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:
Kimbo put on a show and was very impressive he has worked on his ground game even though its still not that good. Its really improved though, and he looked great im surprised. Plus he didnt finish houston in large part becase he ran away the whole time and didnt want to abandon his own game plan...

Post #14   12/6/09 7:04:32PM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
i like kimbo and want him to do well. learning on the job in the ufc is going to be tough. the only guys he can beat are guys who cant put him on his back and that doesnt seem to be that hard to do. roy nelson is a good fighter so his poor performance in that fight isnt the end of the world but the leg kicks from houston hurt him and they wernt that hard by most standards. the good news for kimbo fans is that the ufc knows hes popular and the will try to give him matchups where he can survive and continue to be a draw. i look for him to be a bottom tier guy who gets alot of fights against guys who arnt good wrestlers. he might not ever be a contender but hes still fun to watch

Post #15   12/6/09 8:36:20PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2