Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Maia claims he would have tangled Marquardt up if he went for the coup de grace

Print  
Posted By Message

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
“A lot of people say that what [Marquardt] had done was nice, because he didn’t hit me on the floor,” said Demian in the conversation that was translated by Tatame.com. “Maybe it was, but maybe he stopped because if he misses the punch I would tangle with him and the fight would still be going on.”5 oz

Post #1   12/2/09 4:11:02PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
I love ya Demian, but come on man, let's be real here.

Post #2   12/2/09 4:15:35PM   

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:
Maia definitely has a future but dont make excuses. He knows he got caught and was out.

Post #3   12/2/09 4:22:30PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
I liked the guy before and just marked it up as a fluke but screw you man. He pulled Sean Salmon and better be glad it was not a stretcher that he got tangled with after that KO

Last edited 12/2/09 9:29PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   12/2/09 4:36:36PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jride

Maia definitely has a future but dont make excuses. He knows he got caught and was out.

Caught isn't the word. More like shown that to be at the top Striking will need to be part of your game. Same goes for Aoki ans Galvao I love watching these guys fight but you have to have more then just BJJ to be a consistant top 5 guy.

Post #5   12/2/09 4:48:16PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,624-875
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
man Maia is one of my fav MWs and he's always acted classy...

u lose you lose, next time u can get them. no excuses

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #6   12/2/09 5:07:42PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
Maia deserves torture and death for his excuses, but Marcus Davis gets applauded for his excuses? Weak. Weak move by Maia because he was toast.

Post #7   12/2/09 5:55:25PM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

If Marquardt misses ...Maia is still severely unconscious.

Post #8   12/2/09 7:13:30PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
yeah he was going for the classic spread-eagle armbar transition. Bait them into punching you in the face by pretending you're unconscious and then spring into action. Good thing Nate didn't try to punch me in the head while I was asleep, I would've showed him!

Post #9   12/2/09 7:24:03PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Maia deserves torture and death for his excuses, but Marcus Davis gets applauded for his excuses? Weak. Weak move by Maia because he was toast.

What are you talking about? Davis said he underestimated his opponet Maia is claiming he wasn't knocked out when clearly he was put to sleep he was taken off his feet and melted . Its a candidate for knock out of the year. So far I think Maia has gotten off easy.

Post #10   12/3/09 1:24:36AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I'm going to give the best defense for Maia that is possible in this situation.

He was clearly out. There was no way that fight would have lasted any longer. He would've gotten pounded if the ref hadn't intervened.

But.... saying stuff like this can be beneficial for a few reasons.
1) Fighters who are used to winning can have a hard time mentally dealing with a devastating loss. This is especially true with a dominant fighter who gets dominated. Making excuses is a defense mechanism that some guys use to help them get through it. He probably knows inside that he was done, but is unwilling to say it out loud because it is to painful to admit he got legitimately beat. That said I think fighters should keep this kind of talk among family and friends and not make it public.

2) Statements like this can sometimes build heat for a rematch. This is especially true when the fighter has a point, ie the stoppage was early. In this case its not likely to work because there was no uncertainty in that fight. If a rematch happens it would be far down the road when both guys were champions/contenders and had to fight to sort out the division.

Just remember guys fighting is complex both mentally and politically. No one likes to get their ass kicked and it takes a special kind of person (Forrest Griffin) to admit to being dominated. Even he seemed to suffer from the Anderson Silva loss.

Post #11   12/3/09 1:24:55AM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:

Caught isn't the word. More like shown that to be at the top Striking will need to be part of your game. Same goes for Aoki ans Galvao I love watching these guys fight but you have to have more then just BJJ to be a consistant top 5 guy.

It was only a matter of time before this hole in his game was exploited. As they say, it's MIXED Martial Arts. It's not a BJJ tournament. Learn to strike or keep your gi on.

Post #12   12/3/09 3:20:52AM