Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

CSAC takes stance on medical Marijuana

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
The California State Athletic Commission recently issued a statement declaring its stance on Medical Marijuana as it relates to drug testing for athletes it licenses.

The Commission made it clear that legal use via Proposition 215, also known as the Compassionate Use Act of 1996, in California does not negate disciplinary action due to a positive drug test result in relation to events overseen by the CSAC.

“The California State Athletic Commission's position is that Marijuana is a banned substance pursuant to Rule 303 and that any positive drug test may result in discipline,” read the statement.

The Commission stated that a Supreme Court ruling in the case of Ross v. RagingWire Telecomm “found that an employer may discipline an employee for off-duty medical marijuana use.”

link

Last edited 11/29/09 4:21PM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   11/29/09 4:21:18PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I have to agree .

Post #2   11/29/09 4:27:54PM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:
Yeah, I don't know... Its always seemed to me that smoking Marijuana whether medical or not is always a detriment to training or performance by making you lazy and complacent. I enjoy Marijuana myself, but with the wording in that release you really can't argue. Positive test for a banned substance is going to receive disciplinary action, makes sense to me... even though those guys should get freaking medals for actually getting off the couch and working their asses off even though they are stoned

Last edited 11/29/09 4:59PM server time by fizzle

Post #3   11/29/09 4:37:28PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by fizzle

Yeah, I don't know... Its always seemed to me that smoking Marijuana whether medical or not is always a detriment to training or performance by making you lazy and complacent. I enjoy Marijuana myself, but with the wording in that release you really can't argue. Positive test for a banned substance is going to receive disciplinary action, makes sense to me... even though those guys should get freaking medals for actually getting off the couch and working their asses off even though they are stoned

It effects ppl differently think about all that Eddie Bravo has given it credit for. I'm your typical guy who thinks he could write a movie script when high. I couldn't imagine fighting like that but I have a very good friend that smokes every day most of the day. He works in a machine shop and shows no effects in his work. He wakes up early has a steady girlfriend hunts camps its like a medication for him.

Post #4   11/29/09 6:07:54PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
I will never understand what the big deal about pot is. If I can drink alcohol legally then pot should be no problem. Alcohol has far more problems attached to it. I know from personal experience. Pot is much safer, and the effects to the human body are definitely not any worse than booze. . . . .

I better stop typing before I go on a tangent here. . . .

Post #5   11/29/09 7:27:38PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,291-843
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

I will never understand what the big deal about pot is. If I can drink alcohol legally then pot should be no problem. Alcohol has far more problems attached to it. I know from personal experience. Pot is much safer, and the effects to the human body are definitely not any worse than booze. . . . .

exactly why i dont put my 2 cents in about this.id go on forever about how GOOD marijuana is

Post #6   11/29/09 7:40:34PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by RyanC

exactly why i dont put my 2 cents in about this.id go on forever about how GOOD marijuana is

I'm not a smoker either. I was a big time stoner in my younger years, but I gave it up. I am just very strongly opposed to this country's objection to marijuana. The arguments against it are silly to me as long as you can buy, sell, and consume alcohol legally. This country is so hypocritical.

Post #7   11/29/09 7:47:19PM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:
this has nothin to do with mma but it think legalizing it would be a huge economic boost. and would create lots of jobs

Last edited 11/29/09 8:13PM server time by mshalosky
Edit note/reason: rewording

Post #8   11/29/09 8:11:45PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
As long as its illegal, then the CSAC, as a licensing body, can do whatever they see fit. Can a fighter be proscribed marijuana? Sure, but there's other meds a fighter can take in place of it that won't potentially inhibit functionality or get you in trouble.

Post #9   11/29/09 8:45:27PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Ridiculous. A California Commission should respect the laws of California. I don't expect them to follow the laws of Nevada...just follow CA laws. Marijuanna is not a performance enhancing drug. There are lists of legal prescriptions that ARE known to be either performance enhancing or masking agents. MJ is NOT one of them. This ban is purely for political reasons and I think it's dumb.

Post #10   11/29/09 9:13:10PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by EliasG

Ridiculous. A California Commission should respect the laws of California. I don't expect them to follow the laws of Nevada...just follow CA laws. Marijuanna is not a performance enhancing drug. There are lists of legal prescriptions that ARE known to be either performance enhancing or masking agents. MJ is NOT one of them. This ban is purely for political reasons and I think it's dumb.

Its still agianst Federal law and guess what the feds trump anything the state says.

Post #11   11/29/09 10:22:52PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,928-1,103
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by EliasG

Its still agianst Federal law and guess what the feds trump anything the state says.

Actually it is a whole lot more complicated than that.

Without getting to far into the concept of federalism... it is arguable whether a state official is primarily responsible for upholding state or federal law.

If anyone is interested in exactly how complex the issues of states' rights, the supremacy clause, and something like medical marijuana is, pm and I'll direct you to some readings.

In this case, it is fair to say that the CSAC could choose to allow medical marijuana but also has a right not to allow it.

Post #12   11/29/09 11:50:14PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Not only is Marijuana not a performance enhancer (and thus should not be a banned substance) there is also no reason it should be illegal.

Prohibition didn't work with Alcohol. It doesn't work with Marijuana. We spend billions of dollars a year on the "war on drugs". Its not all pot obviously, but that contributes. Our legal system gets tied up with cases considering Marijuana usage, sales, ect. And yet at the end of the day a considerable portion of America uses it. If I wanted I could get it right now, no problem.

I don't smoke marijuana. I wouldn't smoke it if it were legal (at least not often). But if you combine the costs of it being illegal with the benefits of legalizing (ie. Huge taxes) then there is no logic behind keeping it illegal. Its a touchy subject in politics because of conservative values, but there is no good argument against it.

So I say CSAC

Post #13   11/30/09 12:25:51AM   

Drudinh

MMA Sensei

Drudinh Avatar

Career:1,663-1,094
Chips:

Image Attachment didn't work

Last edited 11/30/09 1:24AM server time by Drudinh
3 total post edits

Post #14   11/30/09 1:21:30AM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
It's not about pot. Many psych meds are banned substances. Many prescription medications period are banned substances. If alcohol were in my blood when tested I bet I'd still get in trouble (granted part of that is how short of a time alcohol stays in your blood, but still) Tyson had to be weened off and back on his meds for fights. For the most part your body should be clean of toxins period, when taking these tests.

Also you are given the list of banned substances before hand. It is up to you to meet their standards. It is licensing for a reason. It is not a right to fight professionally in front of their crowds along w/ a bunch of guys who DID meet their requirements.

And this comes from a stoner on the highest level, but a realistic one.

Post #15   11/30/09 1:16:31PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2