Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Wanderlei: "I fight anyone, the UFC don't need to offer me second options"

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
Wanderlei Silva has explained to Fighters Only how he came to be matched with Mike Bisping instead of Yoshihiro Akiyama for UFC Australia. The Brazilian legend agreed to the match yesterday and says as far as he knows, Bisping has also assented.

“Joe Silva called me yesterday and he said he is thinking maybe he will change my opponent to Bisping. I think this is great as he won his last fight [with Denis Kang] very well and it is a good match for both of us,” he explained. “Akiyama is a great fighter but he has not fought much over here [in the USA] and is not so well known, Bisping has a very big name over here, so I am thinking it’s a very good match for me.”

But Silva literally cannot believe that there are people on MMA forums suggesting he ducked Michael Bisping at UFC 105, having surgery on his scar tissue to avoid meeting him in Manchester. Asked by our man in Las Vegas, Gary Alexander, if there was any truth to such talk, , Silva looked incredulous, then burst out laughing.

“I fought CroCop two times, I fought Mark Hunt, Rampage Jackson three times, Dan Henderson twice, Chuck Liddell… I am going to be afraid of Michael Bisping? Stop the jokes!” he cried, bursting into laughter.

Link

Post #1   11/28/09 9:19:40AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

“I fought CroCop two times, I fought Mark Hunt, Rampage Jackson three times, Dan Henderson twice, Chuck Liddell… I am going to be afraid of Michael Bisping? Stop the jokes!” he cried, bursting into laughter.

Link

That is hilarious! I love Wandy!!!

Post #2   11/28/09 9:56:44AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Link

That is hilarious! I love Wandy!!!

How can you not love that guy

Post #3   11/28/09 10:07:14AM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:
What a warrior. I am pumped to see him destroy Bisping.

Post #4   11/28/09 10:07:16AM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
At this point I think Bisping will kick the **** out of Wandy and it makes me sad to think so.

Post #5   11/28/09 11:18:19AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
that is why i am a big fan of his
i like the fighters that don't pick their fights and will throw down with anyone

Post #6   11/28/09 11:55:02AM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Wandy is the man and always will be game. i dont know why anyone would think he was dodging Bisping of all guys. Wandy takes Bisping in short order. Bisping didnt learn much from getting KOd by Hendo. He circled right into Kangs right hand at least 6 times and got hit with it hard at least 2.

Post #7   11/28/09 12:04:42PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Thats how I know im on the best fourm on the net I don;t ever remember ppl saying he was ducking bisping

Post #8   11/28/09 12:45:04PM   

Davebled

Learning to Sprawl

Davebled Avatar

Career:1,484-784
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
Silva has been my favorite fighter for a long time. Ya he's past his prime and isn't the wrecking machine he used to be but how could you not like him as a fighter. He tries to knock out every single opponent even though he's a black belt in BJJ. Win or lose he always puts on a great show for the fans. He can lose his next ten fights and I will always root for him, always pick him to win and he will always be my favorite fighter.

Last edited 11/28/09 2:04PM server time by davebled
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   11/28/09 2:01:58PM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
since this fight will take place in austailia, why not allow foot stomps and soccer kicks?

Just a suggestion

Post #10   11/28/09 2:23:41PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:780-456
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
I like Wand, hes a cool guy. Its not hard to see why hes one of the most popular fighters around. Shame hes going to loose again, I wounder what the UFC will do with him after.

Post #11   11/28/09 3:04:02PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

I like Wand, hes a cool guy. Its not hard to see why hes one of the most popular fighters around. Shame hes going to loose again, I wounder what the UFC will do with him after.

Ya know, I originally thought Bisping might out-point him, but there's a couple of things that changed my mind. First off, Bisping's standup is not as good as Franklin's. Also, Wand says in the interview that he wants to put on a good performance, but he is also looking for the win this time around. That leads me to believe that he will be a bit more strategic in this fight. Even if it's a competitive 3 rounds, I can't see the judges giving it to Bisping, since he'll be backing up the entire fight.

Post #12   11/28/09 3:30:13PM   

NeaRMisS

MMA Regular

Career:69-53
Chips:
haha... That seriously made me laugh. So glad wandy is still around. I like some of you, will always be cheering for wandy.

Post #13   11/28/09 3:55:36PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:780-456
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Aaronno9

Ya know, I originally thought Bisping might out-point him, but there's a couple of things that changed my mind. First off, Bisping's standup is not as good as Franklin's. Also, Wand says in the interview that he wants to put on a good performance, but he is also looking for the win this time around. That leads me to believe that he will be a bit more strategic in this fight. Even if it's a competitive 3 rounds, I can't see the judges giving it to Bisping, since he'll be backing up the entire fight.

I dont think Wand will beable to cut successfully. I think he'll gas a little after the first round and Bisping with take him down and take the last two rounds, or get a GnP stoppage.

Even if its like you say, and Bisping is backing up all fight, thats what he did against Leben and took an easy decision. Not that im comparing Wand to Chris Leben lol, just making the point you can win a fight on the back foot.

Post #14   11/28/09 4:22:38PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Aaronno9

I dont think Wand will beable to cut successfully. I think he'll gas a little after the first round and Bisping with take him down and take the last two rounds, or get a GnP stoppage.

Even if its like you say, and Bisping is backing up all fight, thats what he did against Leben and took an easy decision. Not that im comparing Wand to Chris Leben lol, just making the point you can win a fight on the back foot.

i disagree. he did look a little exhausted in the Franklin fight but it wasn't anything major. i'm positive he has been practicing the weight cut and will make it fine. with that said, when did Bisping become a ridiculous wrestler? i guess since he was able to take down a gassed and unmotivated Denis Kang who fails to ever live up to his true potential he'll take down Wand? doesn't seem logical to me. i can't wait to see Bisping's legs buckle when Wanderlei lands that right hand on Bisping's head just like they did against Henderson and Kang.

War Wanderlei

Last edited 11/28/09 4:33PM server time by Bowen50
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   11/28/09 4:32:40PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2