Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Frank Mir says he is not afraid to stand with Cheick Kongo, wants to fight Brock Lesnar when healthy

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
“I’ve never wanted a rematch this bad before and I’m willing to go through whoever they put in front of me in order to get it.” said Mir “I hope [Brock] recovers and is able to defend his title because I want to be the one to take it from him, and next time if I manage to grab a hold of a limb I won’t let go until I feel something break, to maim him would be satisfying.”
link

Post #1   11/27/09 1:32:38PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
Well Frank I can't say I've got any respect left for you. I don't understand why you want to do such great bodily harm to Brock. I used to be a fan, but not anymore. BJJ is not about causing injury. It's beauty is that it allows your opponent to give up without injury.

I know MMA is a violent sport, and injuries are going to happen in the course of fights but for a guy that has a BJJ background to be saying he wants to injure someone with a submission makes me sick. It's not what jiu jitsu is about. It's not what martial arts in general are supposed to be about.

I'll be pulling for a Kongo KO.

Post #2   11/27/09 1:39:42PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,035-1,142
Chips:
yes please go ahead frankie, stand up with Kongo, please

Post #3   11/27/09 1:43:59PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,466-874
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

yes please go ahead frankie, stand up with Kongo, please

HAHAHA!!!!
YES!
I would love to see Kongo KO Mir.
Mir is one of my least favorite fighters and I really like to see him lose, but would certainly not wish him to be maimed in a fight (or in any other setting for that matter).

I don't think Mir will beat Lesnar if they fight a third time..... last time he fought Lesnar he got beat badly and Lesnar had a d*** hole in his intestine.

Post #4   11/27/09 2:29:39PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
There is no one in the heavyweight division in the UFC that can stand toe to toe with Cheick, no one. Frank is silly to think he is going to box with someone of Kongo's caliber.

Post #5   11/27/09 2:41:34PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,617-1,666
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
FRANK..........just tell the truth, that you will look for the submission as soon as you get tagged early in the 1st round. If you say that then more of your fans will come out of the closet!

Post #6   11/27/09 2:41:58PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Chips:
if frank ends up being able to stand w/kongo i will be very impressed.
if he wants to win it is in his best interest to put kongo on his back as quickly as possible.

Post #7   11/27/09 2:46:54PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
Not a chance in hell Frank can stand with Kongo. He wont last the first round if he tries. But I really believe that Mir thinks he can outstrike Kongo, thats why ill pick against him.

Post #8   11/27/09 2:59:36PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Chips:
yeah, i'm sure he believes it too.

although i'm not sure i believe he really wants to end brock's fighting career. I think that's all to try to hype a rematch. some article i read a while back gave me the impression that they are kind of friends and that all this trash talking is 100% for show.

Post #9   11/27/09 3:02:35PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,441-1,325
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I hope Mir is that in love with his newfound striking that he stands with Kongo, so he can get KTFO'd.

Go Kongo, Mir would be much smarter to take this fight to the mat where he is the superior grappler.

Post #10   11/27/09 3:06:12PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

Not a chance in hell Frank can stand with Kongo. He wont last the first round if he tries. But I really believe that Mir thinks he can outstrike Kongo, thats why ill pick against him.

I just changed my pick. I figured Frank could do enough with the standup to get a takedown, and work for a sub, but if he thinks he can strike with Kongo he's going to get his lights put out.

I think Frank thinks enough of himself to attempt to stand a trade though. Kongo is world class on the feet just like Mir is on the ground. Mir is silly to think he can win standing up.

Kongo does have a pretty good sprawl, and you've got to imagine he's been working hard on his defensive jiu jitsu preparing for Mir. I like his chances in this fight.

Post #11   11/27/09 3:07:47PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,729-924
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Not a good idea to stand and bang with Kongo, and Frank doesn't exactly have the greatest chin either.

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #12   11/27/09 3:44:15PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by warglory

There is no one in the heavyweight division in the UFC that can stand toe to toe with Cheick, no one. Frank is silly to think he is going to box with someone of Kongo's caliber.

You may be right but perhaps Struve or Dos Santos?

Post #13   11/27/09 3:51:26PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Frank's striking has improved a lot and that might just be a bad thing. I hope this is fight hype (as I suspect the lesnar thing is) and that he gets this fight down as quickly as he can. Why bother standing when you have a clear advantage on the ground? Even if he could strike with Kongo there'd be no reason to.

As Far as hurting Brock Lesnar goes, he's probably humiliated by the second fight. He wants to hype a rematch. And he's fired up. I don't think he really wants to 'maim' Brock.

Post #14   11/27/09 4:22:54PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Frank's striking has improved a lot and that might just be a bad thing. I hope this is fight hype (as I suspect the lesnar thing is) and that he gets this fight down as quickly as he can. Why bother standing when you have a clear advantage on the ground? Even if he could strike with Kongo there'd be no reason to.

As Far as hurting Brock Lesnar goes, he's probably humiliated by the second fight. He wants to hype a rematch. And he's fired up. I don't think he really wants to 'maim' Brock.

I really think Frank thinks highly enough of himself to try to stand and trade with Kongo. I know Frank has improved his striking, but he's still not on Kongos level. Not many are, if anyone in that division. I do agree that he would be MUCH smarter to try to take it to the ground and tap Kongo out.

The more Mir says he wants to injure Lesnar the more I tend to believe he would try. He's already broken one arm. (Not saying that was dirty, just saying he did it.) I know Frank likes to talk a lot, but I'd be careful about going around talking about snapping peoples limbs. Especially ones that belong to Brock Lesnar.

Last edited 11/27/09 4:43PM server time by RyanC
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   11/27/09 4:29:26PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2