Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

The Gold Rush - Who Will challenge St-Pierre?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
The queue to challenge UFC welterweight champion Georges ‘Rush’ St-Pierre isn’t so much of an organised line as it is a communal gathering. There is little order, no hierarchy, and only a few dwellers are forthcoming. Aside from a brave few, nobody seems to be in any ‘Rush’ to fight one of the most dominant champions in mixed martial arts today.
link

Last edited 11/25/09 10:08PM server time by maxone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   11/25/09 7:29:48PM   

kaskd

MMA Regular

kaskd Avatar

Career:1,174-644
Chips:
Well, we know there are 2 people who are willing to fight, to fight GSP. Will they beat GSP? Probably not, but they are both antsy to get another shot at it. If GSP wants to go down as the greatest ever he better start packing some weight on and hopping into 185 for some fights. He doesn't have to fight Anderson, but take some fights on if there really is such a lack of fights for him at 170.

Post #2   11/25/09 8:06:53PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,462-848
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think it's gonna take a guy who can stuff those takedowns and intimidate GSP with a solid stand up game.

Don't get me wrong,GSP has great (amazing)stand up but after the loss to Serra I think GSP is still a little nervous in his stand up abilities.
I could just be looking too much into it,but I think a guy that can get past the takedowns and keep coming foward is the best canidate to take GSP.
Of course that task is easier said than done.

Post #3   11/25/09 8:19:13PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

I think it's gonna take a guy who can stuff those takedowns and intimidate GSP with a solid stand up game.

Don't get me wrong,GSP has great (amazing)stand up but after the loss to Serra I think GSP is still a little nervous in his stand up abilities.
I could just be looking too much into it,but I think a guy that can get past the takedowns and keep coming foward is the best canidate to take GSP.

I can't imagine anyone at 170 stopping GSP's godlike takedowns. I do agree that someone will have to stop them to beat him, he won't get Serra'd again.

Post #4   11/25/09 8:37:10PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,342-746
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
What amazes me about GSP is his ability at out wrestle some of the best wrestlers in MMA. He is truly the most well rounded fight in MMA today. At WW I don't see anyone beating GSP right now other than a punchers chance. I like Hardy as a fighter (I could do with out his mouth) but I think his chances of beating GSP are slim at best.

Posted by mrsmiley

I don't think he is shying away from stand up at all. I think he is mainly just using the game plan Jackson comes up with. In everyone one of his fights since his loss he attacks the weaknesses of the other fighter. I agree it will take someone that can stop his TDs and has better stand up. But KOS, Fitch, and Alves have the some of if not the best TDD at WW and GSP was able to take all 3 down at will.

Last edited 11/25/09 10:38PM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   11/25/09 10:33:44PM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Easier said then done.
GSP blends his takedowns so well with stand up better then anyone out there.It is better then a perfectly concocted Long Island Iced Tea made by yours truly.
Not even mentioning his takedown defense is aguebly the best out there also.

However if this fictional takedown stuffer phenomal stand up guy does come along and beat GSP expect more fanboys hanging off his nuts then Tito's nuts have crabs hanging off of his

Post #6   11/25/09 10:36:15PM   

king_katool

MMA Sensei

king_katool Avatar

Career:325-231
Chips:
i dont understand all the talk about guys cleaning out their division so they should move up, i get it as a fan ye better fights, but if 170 is his weightclass thats his weight class, i really didnt come on the forums when hughes was dominating, can any1 tell me if there was an outcry for him to move to MW

Post #7   11/25/09 10:54:27PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,790-1,126
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Okay so there is 1 guy out there with crazy good takedown defenseat 170 and I think he could stop GSPs takedowns the only thing is that guy is........................

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #8   11/25/09 11:18:20PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,790-1,126
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
That man is GSP!

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #9   11/25/09 11:19:28PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:

Posted by king_katool

i really didnt come on the forums when hughes was dominating, can any1 tell me if there was an outcry for him to move to MW

Actually there was a brief time, between TUF 2 and when he lost the belt to GSP, that people were calling for hughes to fight at MW. Dana tried to set up a catchweight fight between hughes and franklin but they turned it down becasue of their friendship. Hughes also said, just prior to ufc 64, that if anderson beat franklin he would move up in weight to fight him. Catchweight fights are pretty rare nowdays and happened even less back then, so i dont think the idea ever got much attention.

Post #10   11/25/09 11:41:13PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,433-855
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by telnights

What amazes me about GSP is his ability at out wrestle some of the best wrestlers in MMA. He is truly the most well rounded fight in MMA today. At WW I don't see anyone beating GSP right now other than a punchers chance. I like Hardy as a fighter (I could do with out his mouth) but I think his chances of beating GSP are slim at best.

I don't think GSP is the most well rounded fighter in MMA today (I'd say Fedor and BJ Penn are both at least equally well rounded if not more so) however, I agree that there doesn't seem to be much competition for GSP right now and I can't see Hardy beating him either.
I'd like to see GSP take on Kos again, and Alves too.

Post #11   11/26/09 9:20:54AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

He's got Hardy and Koscheck to fight at the very least at Welterweight.

Possible others: Anthony Johnson, Mike Swick, Martin Kampmann.

At Middleweight, beyond the obvious Anderson Silva fight, there aren't THAT many options.

He won't fight Marquardt and probably won't fight Cote.

That leaves Bisping, Wanderlei, Akiyama, Belfort, Maia and maybe Franklin.

Post #12   11/26/09 9:26:58AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Somebody touched on it earlier, and it's a very good point- What makes his wrestling so great is how he mixes it with his strikes. He uses punches to set up a blast double, and when he shoots it he commits himself to it 100% Plus, he's so powerful that once he gets a hold of guys it seems like it is impossible to shake him. Yeah, Fitch, Alves, and Kos have amazing TD defense, but can anyone say BJ Penn? The guy has incredibly unorthodox takedown defense but it is amazing unorthodox takedown defense. I mean.. what more does GSP have to do to prove that nobody out there at his current weight can stop his takedowns?

Anthony Johnson? Haha... did anybody else see the way Koscheck took him down and out grappled him? GSP would dominate AJ.

I don't think it is going to be a matter of takedown defense in order to defeat GSP. People have to rethink the entire game IMO. Lateral movement and staying away from the shot must take precedence over a good sprawl, because GSP's powerful blast double laughs at your pathetic sprawl attempt. That, or stopping the shot with knees a la Jose Aldo. The problem is GSP mixes everything up so well that you can't just sit back and wait to time a knee.

I will never say that any fighter is unbeatable. I will say that GSP ranks right up at the top of fighters who are close, though. The way he demolished BJ Penn and Alves in their last fights left me with no questions about that.

Post #13   11/26/09 10:25:12AM   

John_Jobber

MMA Regular

John_Jobber Avatar

Career:430-261
Chips:
I think Koz is on his way to being 'the one'.

No question about his wrestling and now that he's training to control the power and accuracy in his hands he's going to be a threat. George does NOT like power punchers and Koz's hands are looking GOOD lately.

If St. Pierre wants to really prove himself as a MAN - not a welterweight - he'll move on up to challenge Silva. I mean, he's obviously OK to fight someone coming up a weight, but does he have the cojones to make the move himself?

Post #14   11/26/09 12:24:46PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Call me crazy, but i think Paul Daley has a shot...maybe a punchers chance, but he's got to seriously work on his wrestling...seriously

Post #15   11/26/09 2:50:15PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2