Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

A Shortage of Contenders for Lyoto Machida's UFC Light Heavyweight Title

Print  
Posted By Message

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
Because Rashad Evans and Thiago Silva lost so convincingly to Machida already, the winner of their UFC 108 showdown will still need another victory over a big name to regain credibility.
link

Post #1   11/24/09 11:58:05AM   

dangerfield

MMA Regular

dangerfield Avatar

Career:385-223
Chips:
Not really an issue if Shogun gets the win, which, if there's some justice (though from my understanding there's not) he will.

this is where the 'war shogun' part would be inserted if I wasn't so damned lazy.

Post #2   11/24/09 1:15:47PM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

Because Rashad Evans and Thiago Silva lost so convincingly to Machida already, the winner of their UFC 108 showdown will still need another victory over a big name to regain credibility.
link

There are plenty of contenders! Little Nog, Randy Couture, Shogun, Ryan Bader

Post #3   11/24/09 2:30:09PM   

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,093-662
Chips:
I think Bader's got a lot of potential. But I think his standups still not quite there. He rocked Schafer but he also took some shots. Those hits would have been harder if Lyoto delivered them.

Post #4   11/24/09 2:42:56PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by MaxOne

link

Little Nog and Machida are friends. Randy isn't really a contender, he hasn't beat a top 10 LHW since 2004. Ryan Bader is not ready for that level yet.

Post #5   11/24/09 3:07:24PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,509-1,360
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Bones Jones has looked real good so far and a win against Hamill could put him up there to fight a contender.

Other than that, with Lil Nog and Anderson not wanting to fight Machida, it's kinda tough. Remember when the LHW was super stacked??? Then they all fought each other and now it's screwed up lol.

Post #6   11/24/09 6:36:21PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by MaxOne

link

Little Nog and Machida are friends. Randy isn't really a contender, he hasn't beat a top 10 LHW since 2004. Ryan Bader is not ready for that level yet.

First of all Brandon Vera was absolutely top ten before he lost to randy. Second, Randy could definitely be a contender with a few more wins. Bones Jones and Ryan Bader are right on the verge. If Rampage comes back you have an instant contender. Shogun still hasn't had his rematch so he's a contender, and if he wins you'll have even more options.

I also think its unfair to discount Rashad or Thiago, they could get back up their with only a few wins. Same thing with Brandon IMO.

Post #7   11/24/09 6:54:03PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Forrest just had a convincing win and another could put him right back at the top of the list. Thing is he takes a lot of damage even when he wins!? If only Rich Franklin would have stayed at 205 and kept on winning ehh........so much for the AWESOME catch weight fights!!!!!

Last edited 11/24/09 7:28PM server time by BustedKnuckle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   11/24/09 7:27:28PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i would say lil nog, bader, even jones or couture

Post #9   11/24/09 7:37:55PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Maybe Randy i can see that fight that fight happening. But they have too much time into bringing Bader around slowly and turning him into a star to throw him to Lyoto this soon. Along the same line with Bones. Not sure Little Nog gets the nod after one fight. Albeit was a great performance on his part! War Bahna he will bounce back!

Last edited 11/24/09 9:11PM server time by BustedKnuckle

Post #10   11/24/09 9:10:42PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
I think the fact that the rematch isn't until may really helps this whole situation out....the winner of the jon jones/matt hamil fight should then maybe matchup with...Bader or maybe even Jardine...then a match against a contender in may...that winner (assuming its not Jardine) could be viable as an opponent...the Randy/mark coleman winner against Forrest I think would be a good matchup to set the person up for a number one contender fight...I have the feeling that Rampage is prob. coming back so that also helps...if this fight goes down in May and Machida wins then I believe they will have enough time to pull together a viable opponent...whether its Forrest if he can throw together a couple wins....I could absolutely see the UFC throwing Randy in against Machida simply for the Legend aspect....if Shogun wins then none of this matters and all fighters become viable again and the LHW division once again becomes "stacked"

reason I didn't include lil nog is because like ANderson he is friends with Machida and doesn't want to fight...again Shogun winnin eliminates this problem

Last edited 11/25/09 12:03AM server time by sclasclemski

Post #11   11/25/09 12:02:08AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think if Shogun wins, we'll see Shogun vs Lil Nog 2

Post #12   11/25/09 1:17:10PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605
First of all Brandon Vera was absolutely top ten before he lost to randy. Second, Randy could definitely be a contender with a few more wins. Bones Jones and Ryan Bader are right on the verge. If Rampage comes back you have an instant contender. Shogun still hasn't had his rematch so he's a contender, and if he wins you'll have even more options.

I also think its unfair to discount Rashad or Thiago, they could get back up their with only a few wins. Same thing with Brandon IMO.

In who's book was Brandon a top 10. Brandon hasn't ever beat anyone ranked in the top 10 at LHW or HW at the time of the fight so again how was he a top 10 LHW. I never seen him ranked in the top 10 in any respectful rankings.

How is Randy a contender at LHW? The last top 10 fighter Randy beat at LHW was in 2004 and that was Belfort. Lot of people me included feel he didn't even beat Brandon. So again I ask how is he a contender?

Bones Jones and Ryan Bader haven't fought anyone to prove they are contenders. Now that's not to say they couldn't be but they haven't fought anyone in the top 10. Add to that and the fact Ryan Bader didn't look good at all in his last fight and right now I think he would get murdered against almost all the top 10 guys. Jones hasnt really fought anyone that is top level yet so we dont know how he will deal with it. Now not saying that Bones Jones and Ryan Bader are not good fighters but they havent done anything to prove they are ready to be contenders and are still very young to the sport.

I don't disagree if Rampage comes back we do have a instant contender I also think both Rashad and Thiago are both contenders even with their loss. Shogun is truly the only contender that matters at this moment.

Post #13   11/25/09 1:44:34PM