Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Overexposure Potentially A Huge Problem For UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
If the lack of depth on last Saturday's UFC 106 card didn't alarm you, it should.

Sure, UFC has a giant roster of fighters that they don't have to pay unless they fight. However, the talent pool has shrunken considerably over the last year and it's due in part to injuries and an over-abundance of live events. For MMA fans like you and I, having more shows is fine with us. We love MMA and will watch anything - but we're also the hardcore fans. We're not the ones putting our money on the line to promote it.

Link

Last edited 11/24/09 11:59AM server time by maxone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   11/24/09 11:52:58AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
This is exactly why they should merge the WEC with the UFC. A few more stacked division that would produce more shows with title defenses.

Post #2   11/24/09 12:01:49PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,591-928
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I honestly think the resolution here is to put on more free shows. I myself have bought every pay per view since UFC 46. But because of the economy and the increasing volume of shows I'm considering going to bars, restaurants, or friends houses instead of buying them myself. That means less pay per view buys. It may be that as many people are watching, just that they're watching in larger groups. Many of the bars and restaurants around my house now show the fight for free, that wasn't the case a few years ago.

If the UFC gets a network deal or starts putting more free shows on spike, then people will be more willing to pony up for the big cars that are PPV. Instead of PPV once of twice a month, try PPV once every other month. Or PPV every couple months. More people will watch the free shows and in the end it will increase their market.

Post #3   11/24/09 12:01:59PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
They should add more weight classes including super heavyweight because that would please some casual fans.

Post #4   11/24/09 1:00:34PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,043-1,266
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

They should add more weight classes including super heavyweight because that would please some casual fans.

i dont think that is a bad idea..would certainly make things a little more "commercial" in a sense..but i feel confident UFC wouldnt let it become a side show or mockery of the sport

Post #5   11/24/09 1:50:07PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,043-1,266
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
my thoughts exactly on a weak card when i saw the UFN scheduled for Jan. 11 in VA...nothing really appealing to me on that card yet

Post #6   11/24/09 1:51:37PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
Casual fans are already having a hard enough time at 5 weight classes, infusing 3-4 more weight classes would make it too confusing and I think would make people give up following it. I think there current system is good they just need to fix scoring and everything will continue to go up.

106 was weak my ass, I loved every minute of it, do not fix what is not broken, leave it the hell alone.

Post #7   11/24/09 2:11:35PM   

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:
More free cards with lower tier fighters are definitely needed and would lead to more exposure

Post #8   11/24/09 2:17:51PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,546-901
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
It could potentially be a big problem for the UFC.
It's just extreamley hard to keep a constant build up on one fighter when you don't know the outcome of a fight.

They could certainly go down a "darker" route and build up fighters that may not be the caliber of talent they make them out to be.
Though I won't try to say anything bad about the guy,I would certainly put the likes of Michael Bisping in this category.He's not a bad fighter,but I think the hype is bigger than what the product delivers

The problem with MMA stars that transcend the sport and find fame in the mainstream is that:

1.Their talent is not on par with their star power (Kimbo)

2.By the time fame reaches them they've already reached their peak and are starting their decline (Chuck Liddell)

Anderson,Fedor,and GSP all have reached fame in various forms (GSP and Fedor are hugely popular in their home countries) but I wouldn't rush into saying their fame has reached the fever that Liddell and Kimbo fame has.

I do believe MMA's shining star has yet to come,but give it a few more years.It will.The next question though will be:

Will this figher be in the UFC?

Post #9   11/24/09 2:51:30PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,583-1,393
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Anderson,Fedor,and GSP all have reached fame in various forms (GSP and Fedor are hugely popular in their home countries) but I wouldn't rush into saying their fame has reached the fever that Liddell and Kimbo fame has.

I'm willing to bet that has a lot to do with the fact that none of them are Americans, ie. Chuck + Randy. I do agree with you though.

Post #10   11/24/09 2:57:22PM   

Canadian-Pain

MMA Regular

Canadian-Pain Avatar

Career:282-198
Camp: Canadian Pain
Chips:
the card was supposed to be Brock - Carwin , Ortiz and Coleman

if they had of had those 2 fights and then added Kos and Griffen to the card people would say it was an epic card. I think they did pretty well for what they were dealt.

No such thing as Overexposure any press is good press.

i am more suprised for the lack of outcry about Koschecks phantom injury then repeated eye pokes.

Last edited 11/24/09 3:55PM server time by canadian-pain

Post #11   11/24/09 3:54:36PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I think one thing the UFC needs to do is inform their watchers about what is the state of the division and/or the importance of an event. Instead of having us watch a fight walk through a bunch of random people, provide us with some stats via on screen text/graphics that can get the casual fan into a sense of the importance of a fight in terms of what position is puts a fighter for a title shot, who the title holder is, other top contenders. Highlights from previous fights would also help hype up a fighter that is not a top 5 guy.

I think more information than he has a BJJ black belt, improved stand up and a big heart is required. I also think that the small amount of information given on a fighter is not that useful dictated by Rogan or Goldberg during the fight, when most people are paying attention to the fight.

Recently the UFC has done a better job at delivering more fights with less downtime, but the still need to effectively fill that downtime with information that the watcher can absorb and information presented in a consistent fashion so the watcher can compare it with other that of other fighters.

For example, during their walkout, saying fighter A has been training with coach x at team y, and then saying that fighter B has been working his BJJ and boxing cannot really be used to compare the two fighters. i.e. it's like comparing the juicy flesh of an orange to the thin skin of an apple.

However, a list of common information would help the casual fan understand that fighter A is one type of fighter and fighter B is another type.

Last edited 11/24/09 3:58PM server time by Rush

Post #12   11/24/09 3:57:14PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
Am I the only one who couldn't care less about the casual fan? I realize the UFC needs it if they want to get huge, but they aren't going away if a bunch of fans with short attention spans disapear. There are going to be fad fans no matter what you're selling, and the UFC is going to fall victim to that sometimes. People will rabidly follow something and then grow tired of it just as quickly as they grew interested in it. It's the way our culture is.

There a lot of people out there who's interest in MMA, and the UFC centers soley around Brock Lesnar. Trust me, I live in Lesnar country, and I know people who won't miss him fight, but don't care about another event all year. Casual fans aren't the important ones to please IMO. You need to keep the hardcore fanbase happy because they are a guaranteed PPV purchase every time. Your casual fanbase is going to be a revolving door forever. At least in a high percentage of cases. Obviously some people do become hardcore fans, but many do not.

If they really want to grow they need to keep throwing free events periodically. Fill the free cards with middle tier fighters and let people get to know some of the guys that are usually on the undercard, and make all the PPV events blockbusters.

My .02

Post #13   11/24/09 4:31:05PM   

DJBlankenship

MMA Regular

DJBlankenship Avatar

Career:634-525
Chips:
I couldn't agree more

Post #14   11/24/09 5:45:26PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about the casual fan? I realize the UFC needs it if they want to get huge, but they aren't going away if a bunch of fans with short attention spans disapear. There are going to be fad fans no matter what you're selling, and the UFC is going to fall victim to that sometimes. People will rabidly follow something and then grow tired of it just as quickly as they grew interested in it. It's the way our culture is.

Go to a bar and about 80% or more of the people watching any given event is a casual fan. By casual fan I mean someone that likes watching MMA but otherwise knows nothing about it (and that includes most of the fighter names).

There are all types of fans in any sport and like it or not and all types of fans. It may vary from sport to sport, but the educated fan that can see the importance of a fight card without the huge names is still a large minority in MMA.

Post #15   11/24/09 6:08:38PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2