Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Getting to Know Lester Griffin

Print  
Posted By Message

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,272-1,271
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Better Know a Judge: Lester Griffin, the Guy Who Scored It 30-27 for Forrest

UFC 106's Griffin/Ortiz rematch was a tricky one to judge, not just because the first two rounds were fairly even, but because it was contested both on the feet and on the ground — and as we've seen many times in the past, MMA judges can have vastly different opinions on the relative value of each aspect of a fight. In the end, Glenn Trowbridge saw it 29-28 for Tito Ortiz, while Marcos Rosales had it 29-28 for Griffin. The deciding vote was cast by a guy named Lester Griffin, who, from his angle, witnessed a one-sided shellacking. His 30-27 score for Forrest Griffin was later described as "crazy," "outrageous," and "insane" by Dana White.
From Cagepotato.com

Some interesting footage of "stick fighting" that I've never seen before...very interesting.

Post #1   11/24/09 11:18:22AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think 29-28 for Ortiz is a lot crazier than 30-27 for Forest. The second round, which two of the judges and most other people gave to Tito, was pretty close. Forest clearly won all the standing exchanges on the feet. Tito got a takedown but did minimal damage (the only reason forest was bleeding is because of his scar tissue). Before the round was over Forest swept him (which should negate the takedown) and landed as many strikes as Tito had from the top in half the time. If you give that second round to Tito I don't blame you, blood tends to sway peoples opinions. But it easily could have gone to forest as well.

Glenn Trowbridge did a worse job than Lester Griffin. I don't know how he could give that first round to Tito. I think the only reason Dana said that was a close round is he is trying to keep Tito as a PPV Draw.

I really can't stand how highly they score take downs. I agree you should get something for it but not if it puts you in a worse spot. This is especially true for guys with great guards. If you take some one down and spend the whole time eating elbows from the bottom and fending off submission attempts, you are losing. Like the Jeff Curran vs Takeya Mizugaki fight.

The fact that Tito wasn't able to do much from the top and that forest did damage on the feet means he gets the round. Add the fact that in the second forest swept him, got on top, passed to half guard, and then did damage.... makes it clear to me. Positions need to be scored higher too. If takedowns earn points then guard passes, mounts, back mounts, sweeps ect. should too.

Post #2   11/24/09 11:48:14AM   

submissionartist1

KING of the COMPOUND

submissionartist1 Avatar

Career:490-392
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:
letser griffin is the man. the dog brothers events are cooler then ufc! these guys dont fight for money and titles they fight for self worth and respect !

Post #3   11/24/09 12:19:33PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,272-1,271
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by submissionartist1

letser griffin is the man. the dog brothers events are cooler then ufc! these guys dont fight for money and titles they fight for self worth and respect !

I swear I never heard of it before today. I don't quite get it, you can drop your stick at anytime and take the other guy down for some GnP?

Post #4   11/24/09 3:20:56PM