Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Another UFC Main Event, Another Judging Contoversy

Print  
Posted By Message

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=299457

LAS VEGAS -- Mixed martial arts may be enjoying rapid growth but it is also experiencing growing pains when it comes to judging.

For the third card in a row, the UFC found itself frustrated and somewhat on the defensive Saturday night after Forrest Griffin won a split decision over Tito (The Huntington Beach Bad Boy) Ortiz at UFC 106 in a matchup of former light-heavyweight champions.

Post #1   11/23/09 12:44:44AM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
The sport is full of questions.

I like that line. Great article. Most of these Canadian Press stories are done very well. They speak to everyone, not just the MMA fan.

Post #2   11/23/09 12:50:04AM   

vomitshovel

MMA Regular

vomitshovel Avatar

Career:136-93
Camp: Xtreme Fight Militia
Chips:
People need to wake up and realise that this is a technical sport.
The American public, mostly, is so worried about them having an entertaining fight and they see who wins and who loses VEEEEEERY differently than the TRAINED, EXPERIENCED judges.
I'm the first guy to advocate judges (Elvis Presley and Charlie Chaplin both entered impersonation competitions for themselves, and lost... that proves judges are not always right)

BUT in MMA's case and UFC in particular, These judges have watched 100x the fights that any MMA fan claims he has watched i don't care WHO you are.

All I'm saying is yes, It's ok to not agree with a decision. It's ok to believe wholeheartedly that your guy won or w/e.
But it does not constitute any change in the sport and i hope that soon people come to realise that judging CAN NOT be perfect in a sport like this and there will ALWAYS be moaning.

And my argument is fueled by the fact that i got 5-0 for UFC 106

Post #3   11/23/09 12:53:32AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by vomitshovel

EDIT.

Last edited 11/23/09 5:01AM server time by MMAcca
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   11/23/09 4:52:22AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by vomitshovel

People need to wake up and realise that this is a technical sport.
The American public, mostly, is so worried about them having an entertaining fight and they see who wins and who loses VEEEEEERY differently than the TRAINED, EXPERIENCED judges.
I'm the first guy to advocate judges (Elvis Presley and Charlie Chaplin both entered impersonation competitions for themselves, and lost... that proves judges are not always right)

BUT in MMA's case and UFC in particular, These judges have watched 100x the fights that any MMA fan claims he has watched i don't care WHO you are.

All I'm saying is yes, It's ok to not agree with a decision. It's ok to believe wholeheartedly that your guy won or w/e.
But it does not constitute any change in the sport and i hope that soon people come to realise that judging CAN NOT be perfect in a sport like this and there will ALWAYS be moaning.

That doesn't mean there isn't huge room for improvement. The fact that there is a huge lack of education for the MMA judges is enough alone to be very upset.

Posted by vomitshovel

There were 9 fights at UFC 106 that ended with a possible pick. Cherry picking wont earn you any props around here.

Post #5   11/23/09 3:01:52PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Chips:

Posted by telnights

There were 9 fights at UFC 106 that ended with a possible pick. Cherry picking wont earn you any props around here.

Agreed. Hell, take away my 130 career losses, and I'm 282-0 on my picks. Just call me emgracie from now on.

Post #6   11/23/09 3:05:45PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by telnights

Agreed. Hell, take away my 130 career losses, and I'm 282-0 on my picks. Just call me emgracie from now on.

Emfleek you officially have my favorite avatar on this site. That was probably my favorite moment of the entire night on Saturday, and it had nothing to do with a fight. (For the record I'm not a Koscheck hater either. I just thought Dan's reaction was perfect.)

I like Dan Hardy more and more by the day.

Sorry for going totally off topic for a second.

Post #7   11/23/09 3:29:48PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

Emfleek you officially have my favorite avatar on this site.

Thanks. Courtesy of grappler0000!

Post #8   11/23/09 3:37:09PM