Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Karo Parisyan out of UFC 106!

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Macheetah

MMA Regular

Career:76-50
Chips:
Dana just posted this on his twitter.

"Karo Parisyan has ****** over the UFC, the fans and his opponent again!!! He will not be fighting saturday or ever again in the UFC!!"

"Pulled out of the fight the day before weigh ins again with a laundry list of excuses!!! Let the press ask karo why! Let him explain."

"Dustin will be paid his full purse to show and win. Its not his fault."

Dana's Twitter

Last edited 11/19/09 3:49PM server time by Macheetah
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   11/19/09 3:43:09PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Karo = done in the UFC and if he can't handle it, he should be done fighting, period.

Post #2   11/19/09 3:48:01PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm just glad that Dustin is getting paid for all his hard work in the gym to prepare for the fight, I'm sure it's his main source of income. Now let's hope he gets a fight lined up again quickly. Karo couldn't ever seem to finish a fight anyways, and never wanted to step up to stiff competition, just wanted a title shot all the time....remember that?!! (Thiago Alves does!)

Post #3   11/19/09 4:13:17PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
I've had a previous warning for fighter bashing and it came at Karo's expence if memory serves me right (wait, maybe it was Lutter. Either way...). I'll tread lightly here and say that I'm not suprised by the recent turn of events and that I'm pleased to see that McLovin is being compensated in a just manner.

I hope they can work him onto the 108 card somewhere, even if it's just the spike prelims.

Post #4   11/19/09 4:23:31PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:317-259
Camp: DGK
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Karo couldn't ever seem to finish a fight anyways, and never wanted to step up to stiff competition, just wanted a title shot all the time....remember that?!! (Thiago Alves does!)

SERIOUSLY! Karo was happy going to the decision.

I don't like Karo. He thought he was the best with all his decision wins and acted like a bully on TUF and he was only on there to cheer on Manny.

I'm happy to see him go.

Last edited 11/19/09 4:26PM server time by marcodgk

Post #5   11/19/09 4:25:47PM   

Macheetah

MMA Regular

Career:76-50
Chips:
Karo just commented on the situation

Link

Post #6   11/19/09 4:26:59PM   

Kizzzzurt

Learning to Sprawl

Kizzzzurt Avatar

Career:42-21
Chips:
Well if Karo really didn't have the money to pay that fine then you can't blame him. If Dana White was really that concerned about getting his fighter in on the card maybe he should pay the fine.. Or pay his fighters enough money to pay their fines.

Either way, sad days for Karo. I liked Karo but you can't do this twice and think it'll be okay.

Post #7   11/19/09 4:37:29PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Kizzzzurt

Well if Karo really didn't have the money to pay that fine then you can't blame him. If Dana White was really that concerned about getting his fighter in on the card maybe he should pay the fine.. Or pay his fighters enough money to pay their fines.

Either way, sad days for Karo. I liked Karo but you can't do this twice and think it'll be okay.

Again, if money was the only issue, I doubt we'd be hearing about this. I'm pretty sure Dana would take care of it.

I'm going to wait to find out more before passing further judgement.

Post #8   11/19/09 4:43:06PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Can't get money, give me a break. Sell a car or get a loan. Karo is a UFC veteran and I can't imagine him scrounging for money to pay the bills, unless of course he pissed it all away. Either way, if money is the issue, it's only his fault and I have no sympathy for that.

I hope Karo is let go. Other fighters have been released for far less. In terms of what Karo brings to the octagon these days, I don't consider it a loss for the UFC that's for sure.

Maybe he should consider fighting in some smaller orgs where he can get some finishes other than decisions and save up those pennies to pay his fine.

Post #9   11/19/09 4:49:24PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I'm just glad that Dustin is getting paid for all his hard work in the gym to prepare for the fight, I'm sure it's his main source of income. Now let's hope he gets a fight lined up again quickly. Karo couldn't ever seem to finish a fight anyways, and never wanted to step up to stiff competition, just wanted a title shot all the time....remember that?!! (Thiago Alves does!)

Thiago Alves, Nick Diaz, Diego Sanchez, and Georges St. Pierre aren't stiff competition? Huh?

I hope that he gets his mind straight, and I doubt it was the financial situation alone that backed him out. I love watching the guy fight, but he's making it hard for me to root for him anymore. It's sad to see someone with such raw talent waste it. Seeing this news ruined my night and made 106 a lot less enticing for me.

Post #10   11/19/09 4:58:02PM   

DJSyko

MMA Regular

DJSyko Avatar

Career:1,231-718
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Can't get money, give me a break. Sell a car or get a loan. Karo is a UFC veteran and I can't imagine him scrounging for money to pay the bills, unless of course he pissed it all away. Either way, if money is the issue, it's only his fault and I have no sympathy for that.

I hope Karo is let go. Other fighters have been released for far less. In terms of what Karo brings to the octagon these days, I don't consider it a loss for the UFC that's for sure.

Maybe he should consider fighting in some smaller orgs where he can get some finishes other than decisions and save up those pennies to pay his fine.

Its not like we are talking about couple of hundred dollars or anything here, its frigging $32,000 for christ sake, theres not many MMA fighters in the world that could pay that sort of money straight up and the ones that could i could count on one hand and Karo is no where near Main event status.

People are ridiculous to expect Karo to pay that sort of money. its a very valid excuse if you ask me although he should of flagged it up a long time ago.

Post #11   11/19/09 5:15:15PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DJSyko

Its not like we are talking about couple of hundred dollars or anything here, its frigging $32,000 for christ sake, theres not many MMA fighters in the world that could pay that sort of money straight up and the ones that could i could count on one hand and Karo is no where near Main event status.

People are ridiculous to expect Karo to pay that sort of money. its a very valid excuse if you ask me although he should of flagged it up a long time ago.

I am sorry (sarcasm). He has had how long to pay the fine? The fight in question was nearly a year ago, his hearing on the matter was in March. He has had over 6 months to take care of the fine.

His mistake was assuming that the outstanding fine would not affect his ability to fight again. He has to pay the fine regardless so taking out a loan a month or two ago or paying it off with his fight purse after the fight makes no difference. It was his poor judgement and I have no sympathy for him.

Last edited 11/19/09 6:00PM server time by rush

Post #12   11/19/09 5:59:38PM   

DJSyko

MMA Regular

DJSyko Avatar

Career:1,231-718
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by DJSyko

I am sorry (sarcasm). He has had how long to pay the fine? The fight in question was nearly a year ago, his hearing on the matter was in March. He has had over 6 months to take care of the fine.

His mistake was assuming that the outstanding fine would not affect his ability to fight again. He has to pay the fine regardless so taking out a loan a month or two ago or paying it off with his fight purse after the fight makes no difference. It was his poor judgement and I have no sympathy for him.

It doesnt matter how long ago it was, the fact is he couldnt make any money to pay the fine because he was banned, and i dont think he could get a loan in these economic times, not on his contract anyways since he wasnt guaranteed any income, the UFC could of dropped him any time they wanted.

Its just impossible for him to pay that sort of money and all for some stupid painkillers, just BS if ask me, how much did all these convicted steroid users have to pay? i bet its no where near the amount of $32,000.

Post #13   11/19/09 6:15:18PM   

Kizzzzurt

Learning to Sprawl

Kizzzzurt Avatar

Career:42-21
Chips:
Do you all honestly believe that Karo is made out of money? Fact is that majority of the MMA fighters you see and know about do not live the lavish lifestyle that you'd imagine when thinking about a professional athlete. These guys struggle just like the rest of us for the most part.

$32,000 is a lot of money for someone to just create out of no where. Other than Judo what skills does he possess? A doctors degree in Bioengineering that nobody knows about? No, so if his fight license is suspended and he can't fight, how can a fighter make money?

Seems very reasonable to me, especially when he only had say 6 months to pay this off? I'd like to see anyone pull $32,000 out of mid-air or try to get a loan for that amount without any type of current income.

Sorry, just seems reasonable to me.

Post #14   11/19/09 7:04:34PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DJSyko

It doesnt matter how long ago it was, the fact is he couldnt make any money to pay the fine because he was banned, and i dont think he could get a loan in these economic times, not on his contract anyways since he wasnt guaranteed any income, the UFC could of dropped him any time they wanted.

Its just impossible for him to pay that sort of money and all for some stupid painkillers, just BS if ask me, how much did all these convicted steroid users have to pay? i bet its no where near the amount of $32,000.

Well, it does matter how long ago it was. Having 6+ months to pay off a fine is different than having a couple days to pay it off.

And I wouldn't say he couldn't make any money. He just didn't make money. There are lots of sources of income for these fighters if they are willing. 1) sponsorships 2) seminars 3) teaching martial arts 4) get a day job, etc.

The economic situation is a red herring. All fighters have a contract that say what they get paid to show, so saying he had no money guarunteed is incorrect. Take your contract that says you will be paid 40,000 to show for your fight and you'll get a loan no problem, unless your credit rating is shot to hell or he's already in serious debt, but then again, that is his problem.

What other fighters have been fined. Keep in mind that the circumstances are different in each case including what drugs were found and which commission imposes the fine. In the case with Karo, he took some serious pain killers.

Vitor Belfort - 10,000 (NSAC)
Sean Sherk - ?
Royce Gracie - 2,500 (max in CA)
Hermes Franca - 2,500 (max in CA)
Thiago Alves - 5,500 (NSAC)
Nick Diaz - 3,000 (NSAC)
Josh Barnett - ??
Pawel Nastula - ??

IF you think Karo's fine was harsh, read this article that explains the his infraction was a turning point in the NSAC's stance becoming more harsh. It seems to have worked because I cannot think of a fighter after UFC 94 that has tested positive in Nevada.

Last edited 11/19/09 7:24PM server time by rush
3 total post edits

Post #15   11/19/09 7:19:20PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2