Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Koscheck Sees Weighty Issues With Johnson

Print  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,428-1,454
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
As a collegiate wrestler, Josh Koscheck was well acquainted with the joys of weight cutting.
Koscheck, a former NCAA Division I champion at 174-pounds for Edinboro University of Pennsylvania, says he used to walk around heavy and cut to 163 pounds for several meets.
So the 31-year-old welterweight relates to Anthony Johnson, his opponent at UFC 106 on Saturday

Link

Post #1   11/19/09 11:40:00AM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
If Johnson misses weight Koscheck should force him to lose it all or not fight him.

Post #2   11/19/09 11:53:23AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

If Johnson misses weight Koscheck should force him to lose it all or not fight him.

And then miss out on getting a paycheck from the fight *and* his sponsors?

Last edited 11/19/09 11:55AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   11/19/09 11:55:00AM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,428-1,454
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
yeah thats what i thought too..i mean Yoshida thankfully took that match cause he just wanted to fight..and Johnson..come on now if you take your job serious..making weight shouldn't even be an issue..if he's doesn't make weight this time around i would take his whole purse money and make him move up weight class...since it's a problem making WW..force him to go up to MW..only logic thing to do...

Post #4   11/19/09 12:09:31PM   

Kizzzzurt

Learning to Sprawl

Kizzzzurt Avatar

Career:42-21
Chips:
Johnson really enjoys being one of the biggest 170 pound fighters in the world but yeah.. If you're going to miss weight, especially by over a pound(ESPECIALLY if it's over a few pounds) then I think it's time to rethink your gameplan and move up a weight class.

Post #5   11/19/09 12:37:53PM   

SpiderSilva

Reminder: steelers suck!!!

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,855-1,155
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Maybe he has maintained his weight better sense he fought not too long ago??? Ehhh he his gonna win by KO anyway

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #6   11/19/09 12:56:16PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

yeah thats what i thought too..i mean Yoshida thankfully took that match cause he just wanted to fight..and Johnson..come on now if you take your job serious..making weight shouldn't even be an issue..if he's doesn't make weight this time around i would take his whole purse money and make him move up weight class...since it's a problem making WW..force him to go up to MW..only logic thing to do...

I am betting Yoshida was even smaller in reality because Japanese fighters typically do not cut much weight.

All in all, it costs a fighter a lot to miss weight and you cannot fight for the title missing weight, so really missing weight frequently comes back to bite you in the ass more than people think.

Last edited 11/19/09 2:43PM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   11/19/09 2:41:58PM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

If Johnson misses weight again Dana's not going to trust him with a title shot.

Or even a #1 contender's fight.

Post #8   11/19/09 3:23:36PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by finnish_line

If Johnson misses weight again Dana's not going to trust him with a title shot.

Or even a #1 contender's fight.

Even if Dana would give him the opportunity for a title shot, if he missed weight for that fight it would no longer be a title shot and they are even more stringent with weight for title fights. Johnson is only hurting himself on an epic level if he keeps missing weight.

Post #9   11/19/09 4:43:15PM   

mk1630

Standup Guy

mk1630 Avatar

Career:382-218
Chips:
Was last fight the only time he's missed weight so far? Maybe something went wrong in camp? Its not an excuse because fighters should never show up over weight, but maybe there was something that caused him to miss, because 5 pounds is a lot to miss by.

Post #10   11/19/09 7:10:37PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mk1630

Was last fight the only time he's missed weight so far? Maybe something went wrong in camp? Its not an excuse because fighters should never show up over weight, but maybe there was something that caused him to miss, because 5 pounds is a lot to miss by.

According to wiki, he missed weight by 6.5 lbs back when he fought Rich Clementi.

It's not that he just missed weight, but he missed by so much. Some times guys are injured and cannot make weight because they can't train as hard. IMO, if you are hurt bad enough that you cannot make weight, you drop out of the fight.

Travis Lutter missed weight by only 2lbs, had it not been a title fight he would have missed by 1 pound. He got crucified for it. When a fighter misses weight by more than 3 pounds or on more than one occasion, that is just bad. Johnson is one of those fighters. I think he gets more slack because he comes off as a good guy.

Like I said, fighters that miss weight are only hurting their own career. Even if you can string together a bunch of wins fighting fighters that you outweigh at catch-weights, you will either be denied a title shot due to missing weight on more than one occasion or you will never be able to make weight for the title fight. That is, in addition to the monetary losses.

Post #11   11/20/09 10:21:13AM