Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Andre Winner's KO of Delgado vs. Hendo's KO of Bisping

Print  
What was worse?
Hendo punching Bisping after KO'ing him 28 51%
Winner continuously punching Delgado after KO'ing him 27 49%
  Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Let's recap some of the things that were posted by members of this site after Dan Henderson's brutal KO over Michael Bisping...

I really can't believe Dan did that to Bisping. Sure there was lots of trash talking and stuff before the fight - nothing new there however - but to actively try to harm your opponent when you know he is defenceless is inexcusable. Henderson didn't even try and excuse his actions either - which makes it all the more disgraceful - he actually thought it was funny he landed a full force, full body weight strike on Bisping when he was clearly unconscious.

He deserves to be fined his ENTIRE PURSE for the event and suspended.

Paint it whatever colour you want, It was still a scummy thing to do.

those kind of extra shot are considered acceptable in felony fights or street fights, not in mma. If you know the guy is out you walk away, end of story.

If it was the other way round, every American MMA forum would have at least one thread calling Mike a scumbag for doing it.

I would have started this thread had it been anyone else involved (in reference to Bisping), period.

It was absolutely shocking and a cheap shot.

My question is this...

Do you think Winner's KO and follow-up punches were any different than Dan's? Were they more brutal?

Personally, I thought what Winner did was a lot worse than what Dan did. Sure, he kept fighting until the ref stepped in, but you can not convince me that Winner didn't know Roli was out before even hitting the mat. And then he followed that up with a handful of shots after the fact.

I'm curious to see what others have to say about this. I'm quite surprised (but almost *not* surprised) that no one has brought this up yet.

Last edited 11/17/09 11:04AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   11/17/09 10:51:04AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I haven't seen Winner's fight yet, but in terms of what Dan did, I think the people that flew off the handle did so because of what Dan said after the fight not because of what he did. I think that if he hadn't said what he said, most people would have just taken the second shot as insurance rather than an intent to hurt/injure

Post #2   11/17/09 11:16:38AM   

NeaRMisS

MMA Regular

Career:69-53
Chips:

Posted by Rush

I haven't seen Winner's fight yet, but in terms of what Dan did, I think the people that flew off the handle did so because of what Dan said after the fight not because of what he did. I think that if he hadn't said what he said, most people would have just taken the second shot as insurance rather than an intent to hurt/injure

Yep I agree 10000000% and add a few zeros if you like.

If Dan was saying he was just going until the ref stepped in rather then saying something on the lines of "I knew he was out, I just wanted to shut him up" then no one would have said ****.

Its kinda just like how mir just recently said he wants to hurt brock so badly he will never be able to fight again. You know if that actually did happen, everyone would be hating on mir even more so. Saying something and doing it is 10X worse, then just doing it ^^.

Post #3   11/17/09 11:23:42AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by NeaRMisS

Saying something and doing it is 10X worse, then just doing it ^^.

So does that mean you take issue with any fighter that says, "I'm going to go out there and knock him out!" or "I'm going to take him down, hurt him and make him tap."

That argument is weak to me.

He didn't say something AND THEN do it...he did it and THEN said something.

Dan didn't come out and say, "I'm going to knock him out and then, once he's out, I'm going to punch him again". He said, in the heat of the moment, that he punched him after the KO to shut him up. Clearly he wasn't being serious and I can't see why people even thought he was being serious to begin with.

*EDIT*

Anyways, what was said is beside the point. I thought Winner's continuous punching after the KO was uncalled for more so than Dan's punch after the KO.

Last edited 11/17/09 11:32AM server time by emfleek
3 total post edits

Post #4   11/17/09 11:29:49AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
Hendos was more brutal, but I think Andres was probably worse overall just becouse he landed 3 good shots before the ref pulled him off. The differance is I dont think Andre was being malicous (sp?), whereas Hendo was looking to hurt Bisping. You can argue all day he was joking when he said it, but I believe 100% he new Bisping was out and just wanted to batter him again.

That aside, it was a freaking sweet K.O. Nearly took Mcdojos head off.

Last edited 11/17/09 11:36AM server time by aaronno9

Post #5   11/17/09 11:35:54AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I never thought that Dan was doing anything wrong he simply was following up the shot they where much closer together and Mike fell stright down. Roli flew back and winner had to run in to get his 2 or 3 shots in. When I saw it I got a pit in my stomach and thought he really should have stoped before he ever got to Roli. I'm not going to judge a fighter on what happens as far as when he should stop it the refs job to do that I will complement them for stoping if the do.

Post #6   11/17/09 11:49:02AM   

Khaos

TUF 2 Alternate

Khaos Avatar

Career:2,451-1,794
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
I don't think either one was bad, you fight till the ref stops the fight. I know there are fighter out there (like Nate Marquardt) who would have stopped hitting them though.There is nothing wrong about either in my opinion.

Post #7   11/17/09 11:53:49AM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,218-1,306
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
I did lose respect for Winner after this. It was way too late, similar to Ramppage's extra shots to Wanderlei. Im not excusing Dan but I dont think Dan was thinking when he said this, when he saw Bisping go down he was already going for the followup shot, not like Winner who saw Roli was out and had time to stop then decided to be a scumbag anyways and keep punching. Might aswell take advantage of it though as that will be Winner's last win in the UFC he's going to get.

Post #8   11/17/09 12:02:30PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

I did lose respect for Winner after this. It was way too late, similar to Ramppage's extra shots to Wanderlei. Im not excusing Dan but I dont think Dan was thinking when he said this, when he saw Bisping go down he was already going for the followup shot, not like Winner who saw Roli was out and had time to stop then decided to be a scumbag anyways and keep punching. Might aswell take advantage of it though as that will be Winner's last win in the UFC he's going to get.

Not sure he is a scumbag

Post #9   11/17/09 12:07:06PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,455-865
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I don't think one instance was "worse" than the other. Both were fine by me.
I don't blame Winner for throwing a few extra punches because the ref hadn't stopped the fight at that point.
If Winner hadn't followed up and Delgado had regained consciousness before the ref stopped the fight then Winner could have possibly cost himself the fight. Why give Delgado a chance to recover?

Post #10   11/17/09 12:08:43PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

See, thats just not true though. Watch the fight again. Henderson watches Bisping go down, takes two steps, then when Mikes arms fall to his side, thats when Hendo launches into the forarm/punch.

Post #11   11/17/09 12:18:42PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Te shots where unnecessary but the ref hadn't stepped in so I personally don't have a problem with them. The same with the Hendo - Bisping KO.
Winner probably lost a few fans for the follow ups shots and could have stopped earlier but he did his job and stopped the moment the ref jumped in.
No problem with either of them from me really.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #12   11/17/09 12:20:03PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,522-1,450
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
the big shot winner threw hit roli in the arm so its not like he wrecked him after the KO. neither one is a big deal, you fight until the ref stops it, thats the way the rules have always been so whats the problem here?

Post #13   11/17/09 12:20:29PM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,116-1,327
Chips:
I didnt see anything wrong with either of them the fight stops when the ref stops it and thats it. Ive seen cases where someone lands a big shot and the guy is not completely out the guy who landed just starts celebrating without the ref even stopping the fight! so the ref just calls the fight cause the guy starts celebrating lol.
Would u do the same with a choke? if a fighter has tight guillotine locked in and the ref cant see if the fighter is out but the fighter keeps the choke locked in knowing the fighter is out cold is that just as wrong?

Last edited 11/17/09 12:36PM server time by mattjonesy

Post #14   11/17/09 12:29:52PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I really had no problem with Dan's extra punch. He started throwing it basically before Bisping even hit the ground, and once you're flying through the air it's kind of too late to do anything about it.

Winner continued hitting Delgado several times after he was laying immobile on the canvas, he should have stopped, but at the same time it's the ref's job to be in there sooner, it's the fighter's job to fight until the ref stops it.

The only time a fighter should really be criticized for this is when it's something like what Sokoudjou did to Jan Nortje, where the guy is still throwing bombs for a good 2-3 seconds after the ref jumps in between them. Otherwise why should the fighter risk allowing his opponent to recover because the ref isn't doing his job properly.

The refs should be blamed for anything else IMO.

Last edited 11/17/09 1:07PM server time by Aether

Post #15   11/17/09 1:04:40PM   

Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>