Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Belfort/Silva in talks for UFC 109

Print  
Posted By Message

Macheetah

MMA Regular

Career:76-50
Chips:

The highly anticipated UFC middleweight title fight between current champ Anderson Silva and explosive challenger Vitor Belfort is now targeted for UFC 109.

The UFC had originally hoped to feature the contest at UFC 108, but Silva's recovery process from elbow surgery forced a delay in the schedule.

Belfort first released news of the new date to the Portugese-language Terra magazine's "Mano a Mano" blog, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since confirmed with sources close to the bout that verbal agreements are in place. Bout agreements have yet to be signed.

Link

Last edited 11/16/09 5:11PM server time by Macheetah
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   11/16/09 5:11:14PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,447-862
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I hope Silva wins against Belfort (and keeps winning) and I hope GSP keeps winning so that the UFC has no real options but to have them fight each other.

Post #2   11/16/09 5:42:49PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:985-644
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

I hope Silva wins against Belfort (and keeps winning) and I hope GSP keeps winning so that the UFC has no real options but to have them fight each other.

and at what weight class do u expect them to fight at ??? I could see maybe a catchweight fight but for what reason ??? I just don't see the UFC setting this fight up there is nothing to really gain.

Last edited 11/16/09 6:59PM server time by grandmaster313

Post #3   11/16/09 6:57:49PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,726-1,499
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
WAR VITOR

Post #4   11/16/09 7:27:15PM   

MiniMan

Standup Guy

MiniMan Avatar

Career:38-27
Chips:
The UFC always say they deliver the fights fans want to see, If both GSP and Silva keep winning, They WILL fight.

Post #5   11/16/09 7:32:22PM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:
The sad thing is if silva beats belfort he will have cleaned out the division. Henderson who has the style to beat him in theory doesnt look like he is signing with the ufc any time soon. Marquart is much improved but lets face it he just doesnt have the style to beat anderson. Whose left demian maia? Chael sonnen? chael doesnt have good enough wrestling/ ground game to keep anderson down and maia doesnt have the chin. I think after he beats belfort and marquardt then he either has to drop the belt and fight gsp/move up in weight.

Post #6   11/16/09 8:55:15PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:1,996-1,112
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by mshalosky

The sad thing is if silva beats belfort he will have cleaned out the division. Henderson who has the style to beat him in theory doesnt look like he is signing with the ufc any time soon. Marquart is much improved but lets face it he just doesnt have the style to beat anderson. Whose left demian maia? Chael sonnen? chael doesnt have good enough wrestling/ ground game to keep anderson down and maia doesnt have the chin. I think after he beats belfort and marquardt then he either has to drop the belt and fight gsp/move up in weight.

maybe so, but you'll see GSP in the olympics before you see him moving up to MW

Post #7   11/16/09 9:01:37PM   

spikerman19

Standup Guy

spikerman19 Avatar

Career:266-174
Camp: Norcal Fight Team
Chips:

Posted by Macheetah

The highly anticipated UFC middleweight title fight between current champ Anderson Silva and explosive challenger Vitor Belfort is now targeted for UFC 109.

Highly anticipated?

Post #8   11/16/09 10:08:51PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Thank God! I was afraid this was going to be headlined by Serra/Trigg, Hughes/Gracie which IMO would be the lowest quality main events ever. I mean because atleast low quality main events before has some sick fight potential but none of these guys really seem to make you go crazy fight of the night style at THIS stage in there career. I mean Hughes/Serra was a pretty good fight, but trigg should either outwrestle Serra or Serra should get a quick KO maybe. and Hughes will either grind Gracie out or finish him early like the other Gracie. I just would like more competitive fights as the main event.

AND BOY DID I GET IT!!! HAHAHa I honestly don't know who I'll pick in this one. Can't freakin wait. I mean this is going to be absolutely sick! Andersons a sick lethal accurate striker while Beltord's hands are just fast and deadly. I'm not sure if Anderson could get Beltfords speed down without being dropped. Gonna be sick!!! Hoping Anderson can pull it out though. cant wait!!!

Post #9   11/16/09 10:13:05PM   

Macheetah

MMA Regular

Career:76-50
Chips:
I didn't write that, but I guess? lol

I'm anticipating it, I think it's the best fight at middleweight right now. Guaranteed fireworks, standup war. They match up well.

Why don't you like it?

Last edited 11/16/09 10:22PM server time by Macheetah
2 total post edits

Post #10   11/16/09 10:21:41PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:

Posted by mshalosky

Marquart has the best style to beat him, but I think the result would be pretty similar to the first fight. Maia would get knocked out before it got to the ground, and while I think Sonnen can take Silva down, Silva would Tap him out eventually, as Sonnen's BJJ defence is amongst the worst in MMA.

And honestly, I don't see anyone at 170 OR 205 beating him...I think you'd have to get Fedor to fight him to challenge him, and I would still prolly pick silva to win that one.

Post #11   11/16/09 11:08:38PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,380-1,274
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
sucks for me, instead of that fight i get to see a silva vs evans main event with no co main event

sad ... looking back to 2 ufc title main events in a span of 7 pay per views

couture vs big nog
franklin vs belfort
couture vs vera
ortiz vs griffin
silav vs evans

machida vs shogun
penn vs sanchez

kind of sad when u kind of think about it

Post #12   11/17/09 1:25:01AM   

Dtime_NBT

MMA Regular

Dtime_NBT Avatar

Career:968-670
Chips:
Real exciting fight. Nice to see this taking place at 109. When the bout was first cancelled I assumed it would be a few months longer of a wait.

Silva TKO Rd 2

Post #13   11/18/09 12:04:47PM