Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Lesnar Update: Major Surgery Coming, Possibly Done

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

NeaRMisS

MMA Regular

Career:69-53
Chips:
Sometimes a blockage can do this, intestines can constrict etc... Its really hard to say what he has considering we know so little. If he is a heavy drinker, it can actually play into affect as well. Lots of things.

I am hoping for the best. With a speedy recovery in mind as well.

Post #16   11/16/09 9:25:03PM   

kasual

MMA Regular

kasual Avatar

Career:353-201
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:
Sad bit of news, hope he can be well soon. In the meantime thou .... Interim Heavyweight Belt?

Not fair to those fighters who want a crack at UFC gold to be waiting around for who knows how long for Brock to rest up.

Post #17   11/16/09 10:02:58PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I never did like lesnar but his is terrible news. I wouldn't wish this on anyone and he is a big figure in MMA that draws in a lot of fans and he has a real good shot at being one of the greats in the sport if he can recover.

Post #18   11/16/09 10:11:25PM   

mk1630

Standup Guy

mk1630 Avatar

Career:382-218
Chips:
Yea i was never a fan, nor do i think i ever will be a fan, but it sucks to hear this. You never want to see anything like this happen to someone, especailly with the bright future he had. Hopefully its not as bad as it sounds and he can get back to fighting.

Post #19   11/16/09 10:26:04PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
I think Colitis. My friends mom has it and another friends fiance's sister has it also. It's terrible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colitis

It's also pretty embarrassing for those who have it, that may be why Brock didn't want Dana to say anything.

Post #20   11/16/09 10:47:02PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
You can never really 'speculate' about someone's injury without any facts and be reasonably close to a true diagnosis without actually looking at blood lab results and actuallysymptoms so it's obvious which side of my body I'm talking out of, however, my bro in law had ulcerative colitis and actually had a ruptured intestine wall. He almost died from this and it caused major dibilitation. He had to stay in the hospital for quite some time and then had a colostemy bag for about 2 months. After that, he was back to normal but did lose a lot of weight and had to radically change his diet. He could easily have died from the intestnal rupture and is lucky that they caught it so early and were able to repair it. He still can't really work out, even a year out from this incident but his prognosis for health, life after this is much better. Btw, an article i read about UC said that for some reason it is statistically more common in Northern areas.

Like I said, this may have 0% to do with Lesnar but since we know nothing that's what it made me think of.

I'm NOT a Lesnar fan but I AM a human being fan and my heart goes out to him and his family. Injuries, especially career ending and life threatening injuries are very sad to hear about. You hope the best for a man and his family. I hope he comes out of this healthy and safer so that he can live a full long life.

Post #21   11/16/09 11:27:15PM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:
Well we know that it's something rather embarassing and whatever it is caused Brock to collapse.
hmm..... we need Dr. House!!!

I hope Brock heals up and gets better soon!

Post #22   11/17/09 12:35:07AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

I think Colitis. My friends mom has it and another friends fiance's sister has it also. It's terrible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colitis

It's also pretty embarrassing for those who have it, that may be why Brock didn't want Dana to say anything.

Bingo. If he has colitis and had a GI bleed, that would explain him collapsing like that. They sometimes remove almost the entirety of your colon to take care of this, which ruins you nutritionally, and if he needs a colostomy bag, he'll never fight again.

Allan Green, a fairly well-known boxer, had this happen and he ended up fighting 16lbs lighter than he used to because of it. If a 178lb man losses that much, a monster like Lesnar could lose quite a bit more.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #23   11/17/09 12:36:41AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,352-1,258
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i doubt he will be done but i do think he is out till summer or fall more likely
but a carwin vs cain bout for interim has to happen now

Post #24   11/17/09 1:10:12AM   

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:
Wow. I am truly saddened.

Brock is one of those guys you love to hate.

And if I have no one to hate on, then what the hell am I gonna do?

Get well Brock

Post #25   11/17/09 1:12:24AM   

quball

Learning to Sprawl

quball Avatar

Career:290-150
Chips:
Well whatever it is I wish he would announce it in a press conference. That is if they even know yet. My guess is it will be at least a year before he would return to the octagon. That’s if he can get back to training in 6 months. I hope he returns, however he might never be the same and I think we have seen the best of Brock. Coming back from any type of injury is hard and taking time from training is time you never get back. Many things will change in the HW division in the mean time.

Good Luck Brock and Family in the coming weeks

Post #26   11/17/09 1:49:07AM   

kentonackson

Learning to Sprawl

kentonackson Avatar

Career:455-340
Camp: CAMP COBRA KAI
Chips:
Im not the biggest fan of Lesner but i will admit for a guy who before the UFC had never fought in MMA to do what he has accpolished in that shot time span is rather amazing . People dismiss him because of his size but i mean hes beaten some tough mother *******

I hope he gets better soon .

Post #27   11/17/09 6:41:59AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
The latest update from overnight is that he has a bacterial infection of his intestinal tract. But Lesnar's trainer says his condition is improving and that "he should be home soon". He's still out indefinitely. Junkie tried to contact Dana for comment but he was unavailable.

Post #28   11/17/09 7:02:48AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Bingo. If he has colitis and had a GI bleed, that would explain him collapsing like that. They sometimes remove almost the entirety of your colon to take care of this, which ruins you nutritionally, and if he needs a colostomy bag, he'll never fight again.

Allan Green, a fairly well-known boxer, had this happen and he ended up fighting 16lbs lighter than he used to because of it. If a 178lb man losses that much, a monster like Lesnar could lose quite a bit more.

That's what I was thinking as well. My brother has ulcerative colitis and he would go through periods where he would lose like 40 pounds in a matter of weeks from an inability to absorb any of the nutrients he was taking in. It's also extremely painful.

Post #29   11/17/09 7:18:36AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Just read on 411 that WCCO-TV in Minneapolis says he also has diverticulitis, a disease which is usually found in the large intestine. It forms large pouches on the outside of the colon, which then becomes inflamed. Treatment for diverticulitis usually involves no solid food, only being fed through an IV and an aggressive antibiotic treatment. Also, in severe cases, Surgery can be required to remove the infected area of the colon. Surgery is usually avoided, unless it is a severe case, which Lesnar's appears to be.
I kinda know what it's like, my father also has this but it's not severe to the point of needing surgery or some of these treatments.

http://www.411mania.com/MMA/news/122184/Update-On-Brock-Lesnars-Health.htm

Last edited 11/17/09 7:29AM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #30   11/17/09 7:28:55AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3