Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Vera Accepts Couture Decision

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,687-1,701
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
sherdog

“I’m pissed, I’m really pissed, but the sport of MMA, she, MMA, is a b---h and if you let it go to the judges, you let it out of your hands, you know?” said Vera. “So, I’m going to take the blame for this loss. I’m going to man up.”

“I should have finished it. I had a couple of opportunities to during the fight that I should have finished it,” said Vera. “I’m super happy I got to fight Randy Couture, my hero, my legend, and let the rest of the light heavyweight division know that I’m going to whip you’re a-- if you get into the Octagon with me.”

Post #1   11/15/09 2:39:16AM   

vomitshovel

MMA Regular

vomitshovel Avatar

Career:136-93
Camp: Xtreme Fight Militia
Chips:
All too true to fight Couture is the honour, and to have it be SO close that you thought you would win and it was scored 28-27....
THAT is a ****** honour most dream of so Well done Vera

Post #2   11/15/09 2:47:20AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think Vera won that fight.

Post #3   11/15/09 7:03:17AM   

vomitshovel

MMA Regular

vomitshovel Avatar

Chips:
Ain't the MMA community lucky your not a judge? :)
Remember they get paid to judge and have seen more fights than you could dream about being able to imagine.
Vera fought a brilliant fight and it was close, i take nothing away from him.
Just cant out wrestle and/or out grapple Couture, he maintained dominance the whole fight before and after the shattering kick to his body.

Post #4   11/15/09 7:09:27AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Chips:

Posted by vomitshovel

Remember they get paid to judge and have seen more fights than you could dream about being able to imagine.
Just cant out wrestle and/or out grapple Couture, he maintained dominance the whole fight before and after the shattering kick to his body.

He showed no aggression though and at no point did he attempt to finish the fight.

That's just my opinion.....

Post #5   11/15/09 7:14:25AM   

vomitshovel

MMA Regular

vomitshovel Avatar

Chips:
Good point, he did do very little to further the progression of the fight and kind of kept it to clinch. But it can also be seen as forcing the enemy into your game. He knew he can outclinch and outwrestle Vera, So he kept to that.
he said in an interview "I'm a wrestler and at the end of the day i wanna make my opponent wrestle me", which is just what he did.
I DO however see brandon Vera's career skyrocketing from this and people will notice how he roughed up THE Randy Couture.

Post #6   11/15/09 7:23:11AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Chips:

Posted by vomitshovel

Good point, he did do very little to further the progression of the fight and kind of kept it to clinch. But it can also be seen as forcing the enemy into your game. He knew he can outclinch and outwrestle Vera, So he kept to that.
he said in an interview "I'm a wrestler and at the end of the day i wanna make my opponent wrestle me", which is just what he did.
I DO however see brandon Vera's career skyrocketing from this and people will notice how he roughed up THE Randy Couture.

True.

Octagon control alone won Couture the fight.

Post #7   11/15/09 7:25:43AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by vomitshovel

No they haven't.

Most of these judges are boxing judges who know little to nothing about MMA. I really dislike that point of view, that if someone is a judge they must be so much more educated than everyone else.

A lot of people on this forum have probably seen, trained, and know a LOT more about MMA than most of the judges. I've seen every fight that has every happened in PRIDE, UFC, IVC, Mecca, and just about any other league you can name, including a lot of smaller organizations, trained in various martial arts for basically my entire life, and understand the sport a lot better than a guy who has judged boxing his whole life and got thrown onto an MMA judging panel because there was no one else to do the job.

The fact that someone hands them a paycheck doesn't automatically mean they know what the hell they're doing.

*edit*

That being said, within the current flawed system where control is valued almost as highly as damage if not just as, the judges in a rare lapse, issued the right decision. This outcome wasn't a result of bad judging, it was a result of bad judging *criteria*

Last edited 11/15/09 7:43AM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #8   11/15/09 7:39:58AM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Career:397-201
Chips:
I actually agree with the judges decision. I seen it 2 rounds to 1 for couture.

Randy won the first round based on control alone. Vera did nothing to have won this round. Vera definitely won the second round based on the knock down. And Couture won the third because he landed more strikes then Vera.

Like it or not control does win fights. It may be boring to watch but thats how it is.

Post #9   11/15/09 10:59:11AM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Career:397-201
Chips:
EDIT: accidental double post (delete)

Last edited 11/15/09 11:00AM server time by shawneth

Post #10   11/15/09 10:59:44AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Chips:
tough fight to call
but man having randy press him against the cage for 3 rounds was boring
but vera had a chance to finish the fight in the second, his fault

Post #11   11/15/09 11:01:51AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I was pretty sure Couture's hand would be raised. I had it even going into the final round. Couture landed some early and controlled for most of the round. If I just sit and look at the fight, I think Vera won, but as I was watching it, I had Couture winning 2-1. Mounting my girlfriend doesn't count if nothing happens and she escapes. But I think Machida should be on dancing with the stars, totally different scenario, It's time to move on and quit focusing on the Judges.

Last edited 11/15/09 11:04AM server time by sbulldavid

Post #12   11/15/09 11:03:37AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,091-851
Chips:
Couture is a hypocrite he fought to not lose, not to win....

Post #13   11/15/09 11:11:01AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,492-882
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by tmas

Couture is a hypocrite he fought to not lose, not to win....

Everyone is a hypocrite.....

And I disagree with your assessment.
Couture tried to get the fight to the ground, which is the only place he was going to finish Vera, but Vera was able to keep the fight standing mostly and even managed to take Couture down once.
Couture tried....but he's old.

Post #14   11/15/09 12:26:56PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
Couture would have finished Vera in a 5-rounder. Vera's takedown and mount sure as hell weren't enough to neutralize the dirty boxing lesson he was getting in round 3.

Post #15   11/15/09 3:11:52PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2