Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Renzo Gracie to Fight Matt Hughes at UFC 109

Print  
who wins
Renzo 16 28%
Hughes 41 72%
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'll gladly accept an avatar bet.

I'll give up control of my avatar for 6 months (you can change it as many times as you want, whenever you want) if Renzo beats Hughes.

Last edited 11/12/09 8:58PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #31   11/12/09 8:57:36PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

I'll gladly accept an avatar bet.

I'll give up control of my avatar for 6 months (you can change it as many times as you want, whenever you want) if Renzo beats Hughes.

haha as much as i would like to.i really dont want to risk me having to change my avatar.ive had it so long.it would be weird if it wasnt the same.

sorry fleek

Post #32   11/12/09 9:00:40PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Posted by bjj1605
Seriously? Hughes was not unconscious, he slammed him for god sakes! He may have been woozy from the triangle and even going out but he did not fall because he was unconscious. Re-watch the fight. He clearly lifted and forcibly slammed Newton to the mat. Merely falling wouldn't have produced that kind of power and would not have knocked Newton out.

Hughes put newton against the cage to help alleviate the pressure and think about how he was going to escape . He passed out, fell face forward bringing newton down with him , knocking newton unconscious. Hughes admitted to going out and he admitted being shocked that he won . Why do you think hughes was sitting against the cage confused ?

I understand that the choke affected him. Thats obvious. He was sitting against the cage, dazed, and confused that he had won. My point is he wasn't fully unconscious.

He slammed him. He didn't fall. People make it seem like hughes kinda passed out and fell. That would NEVER have produce the power that this slam did. It was obvious he still had some degree of muscle control because he forcibly slammed newton.

I don't have too much love for Hughes. Back then I wanted Newton to win that fight. It just makes me mad how fickle people are. Everyone acts like hughes is a bum (same as Chuck Liddell) these guys were greats in the day and will go down as some of the best of all time. They deserve respect.

Every one wants to discredit both of their best wins. Same as when people dwell on chuck poking people in the eye.

Post #33   11/12/09 10:48:22PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I'd like to see it--it's always interesting to see what will happen when you put two legends in the ring. I'm not really sure how it will play out, but it is a reaslly big step up in competition for a guy coming out of retirement.

Post #34   11/13/09 2:17:02AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Chips:
Welcome to mma's version of the senior tour.

Post #35   11/13/09 2:46:29AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Chips:
Come on guys... the debate over whether hughes was out or slammed Newton is about 8 years stale. While you're at it why not argue about whether Tom Brady's arm was in a throwing motion or he fumbled against the Raiders in the playoffs, because that is how relevant the Hughes/Newton 1 fight is now.

Drop it.

Last edited 11/13/09 2:57AM server time by ncordless

Post #36   11/13/09 2:57:18AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Come on guys... the debate over whether hughes was out or slammed Newton is about 8 years stale. While you're at it why not argue about whether Tom Brady's arm was in a throwing motion or he fumbled against the Raiders in the playoffs, because that is how relevant the Hughes/Newton 1 fight is now.

Drop it.

Yeah, I'm sure Newton is over it. lol

Post #37   11/13/09 11:58:15AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by ncordless

Drop it.

Yeah, I'm sure Newton is over it. lol

If Newton is still complaining about that after 8 subsequent years of disappointing performances and he feels the need to vent about it in topics that have nothing to do with him, then he has carte blanche to post to his heart's content in this thread.

Post #38   11/13/09 1:04:07PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Posted by bjj1605
Seriously? Hughes was not unconscious, he slammed him for god sakes! He may have been woozy from the triangle and even going out but he did not fall because he was unconscious. Re-watch the fight. He clearly lifted and forcibly slammed Newton to the mat. Merely falling wouldn't have produced that kind of power and would not have knocked Newton out.

Hughes put newton against the cage to help alleviate the pressure and think about how he was going to escape . He passed out, fell face forward bringing newton down with him , knocking newton unconscious. Hughes admitted to going out and he admitted being shocked that he won . Why do you think hughes was sitting against the cage confused ?

I understand that the choke affected him. Thats obvious. He was sitting against the cage, dazed, and confused that he had won. My point is he wasn't fully unconscious.

He slammed him. He didn't fall. People make it seem like hughes kinda passed out and fell. That would NEVER have produce the power that this slam did. It was obvious he still had some degree of muscle control because he forcibly slammed newton.

I don't have too much love for Hughes. Back then I wanted Newton to win that fight. It just makes me mad how fickle people are. Everyone acts like hughes is a bum (same as Chuck Liddell) these guys were greats in the day and will go down as some of the best of all time. They deserve respect.

Every one wants to discredit both of their best wins. Same as when people dwell on chuck poking people in the eye.

In the bookTotal MMA or "Brawl" by Eric Krauss Hughes admitted to being out.
It was one of those books.

Post #39   11/13/09 2:42:27PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

huge fight
but i do see this as co main event,

Please god no!!!!!!!1

I cant say that I hate the fight but it should be the first fight of the night....definatly not a co main event type fight!

Last edited 11/13/09 8:16PM server time by BustedKnuckle

Post #40   11/13/09 8:14:12PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

If Newton is still complaining about that after 8 subsequent years of disappointing performances and he feels the need to vent about it in topics that have nothing to do with him, then he has carte blanche to post to his heart's content in this thread.

I actually meant that I am sure he is over it, therefore so should everyone else.

Post #41   11/13/09 10:28:42PM   

EddieBowers

MMA Regular

EddieBowers Avatar

Career:126-96
Camp: TX Ground and Pound
Chips:
I cannot wait to see this fight. Wait.... this is the post about the Gracie Hughes fight right??? By page three I forgot if it was or if it was about the Hughes Newton fight????? Oh well. Like I said I am looking forward to Renzo vs Matt. Who cares what age either one is at, or who has won over who.... just take each fight as it comes... well that is just me.

Post #42   11/14/09 12:04:43AM   

SpiderSilva

Reminder: steelers suck!!!

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,855-1,155
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Drop it.

Hahahahahahahaha I was thinking some of the people on here might not even be old enough to have watched that fight

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #43   11/14/09 8:51:47AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by finnish_line

Posted by RMFG_187

I see Matt finally scoring a KO win.

Didn't he knockout Newton with a powerbomb?

Matt was out on his feet when Carlos got him with the triangle. Matt fell and Carlos landed on his head. Big John messed up that fight.

As for this fight. cool, I hope Renzo wins. Dude is a class act. Wish he would have fought in the UFC so the fans could see just how classy he is

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #44   11/14/09 10:20:52AM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3