Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Mir: "I want to end Brock Lesnar's career".

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,272-1,271
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Mir: "I want to end Brock Lesnar's career"

Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir has one goal left in his career - and it is not the one you might think. In a recent interview, Fighters Only asked him what he most wanted to achieve before retirement. His answer came in a heartbeat.

“To end Brock Lesnar’s career,” he replied instantly. “ Really, it’s what I think about all the time. Brock Lesnar exploited a huge weakness in my game and no matter who I crush after this, I have to crush him to show I’ve improved that weakness.

“It’s nothing about how he talked to me in my last fight, I could care less about it. If I took it that personal there are other ways to handle situation like that outside of a cage, but honestly I just want to fix what was exploited,” he explained. “If you’re a true martial artist you don’t do it for money or titles, just to be the best human being possible, and if someone exploits a weakness, who better to see if you’ve fixed it than the guy who exploited it.

“Getting the title back, it’s a nice novel idea, but even being the heavyweight champ or the interim champ, I got to be honest, I didn’t really feel that different walking around… Some people think that with the belt, that you made it. Nah, you didn’t make ****. You won a fight, just the fight happened to have more ribbon and bells and whistles on it. Bottom line, [its about] testing yourself!”

Mir, who fights Cheick Kongo at UFC 107, made the comments on Lesnar in a six-page feature interview that appears in this months edition of Fighters Only, at all good magazine stockists now.

That's the whole article, but here's the link:
link
----------------

I know Mir says a lot of bizzare stuff, but I still like the guy. It would have reflected better on him if he said something to the effect of "I want to be the guy that beats him for the title" or " I want to settle the score", but he didn't. All I know is I'd love to see him beat Lesnar one more time. I think we have quite a wait though before he gets the chance.

Post #1   11/10/09 11:23:37AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Chips:
Unfortunately, I see the same thing happening in the rubber match that happened in the 2nd match. Brock is just too fast and too strong for ya, Frankie.

Post #2   11/10/09 11:27:45AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
You know, I've always been a Mir apologist. I can't get behind a statement like that, though. One of the things I've been vocal about when talking of Brock Lesnar is how I don't think he has the professionalism nor self control to restrain himself, and therefore I find him dangerous. A statement like this from Mir does him no favors. If I'm being consistent I can't get behind this statement.

There has to be a certain amount of animosity for fighters, but in the end I wouldn't feel comfortable getting into the cage with someone who cares nothing about my long term health. Sure, you go in there to KO guys and score a slick submission, but you shouldn't go in there with creating a serious injury or ending a career on your mind. That's dangerous, and we don't want to make this sport a means for people to circumvent the law. You need to put the hurt on your opponent, but when it is time to stop it is time to stop. If you've got a submission hold on and your opponent taps- you let go. If you KO a guy and the ref jumps in to stop it, you stop. There's nothing wrong with getting in another shot like Hendo vs. Bisping IMO, but when you continue to go after your opponent like a Mike Kyle type situation that is when it turns dangerous.

Post #3   11/10/09 11:31:48AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

You know, I've always been a Mir apologist. I can't get behind a statement like that, though. One of the things I've been vocal about when talking of Brock Lesnar is how I don't think he has the professionalism nor self control to restrain himself, and therefore I find him dangerous. A statement like this from Mir does him no favors. If I'm being consistent I can't get behind this statement.

There has to be a certain amount of animosity for fighters, but in the end I wouldn't feel comfortable getting into the cage with someone who cares nothing about my long term health. Sure, you go in there to KO guys and score a slick submission, but you shouldn't go in there with creating a serious injury or ending a career on your mind. That's dangerous, and we don't want to make this sport a means for people to circumvent the law. You need to put the hurt on your opponent, but when it is time to stop it is time to stop. If you've got a submission hold on and your opponent taps- you let go. If you KO a guy and the ref jumps in to stop it, you stop. There's nothing wrong with getting in another shot like Hendo vs. Bisping IMO, but when you continue to go after your opponent like a Mike Kyle type situation that is when it turns dangerous.

I couldn't agree more. I usually get where Mir is coming from when he says crazy things but this is stupidity. Mir has a very dangerous submissions game and if he goes in to end someone's career he has a very high chance of doing so.
I hope he's just speaking from anger because if he's serious and he actually pulls what he said off he'll end his and Brocks career in one fight.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #4   11/10/09 11:44:20AM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,272-1,271
Chips:
You guys are right on. Something compels me to continue to route for the guy, and I'd like nothing more than a bitter rivalry here, but that comment goes too far.

Post #5   11/10/09 11:55:15AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I agree that the point of the sport should never be long term injury, but I doubt that is what Mir really has in mind. He is a smart guy and it could be that he is trying to hype a rematch. I generally like Frank Mir and I find it hard to believe that he would genuinely want to hurt some one like this for the sake of proving he has conquered a weakness.

I think it is also important to note that injury is not the only way to end some ones career. Maybe he would just like to have such a dominant victory that Brock falls from title contention and his career is over in a practical sense, even though he is physically able to compete. I know that may be a long shot but some times statements like this get misconstrued.

Post #6   11/10/09 12:58:26PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,466-874
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I don't like Mir very much. And I certainly don't like his comments about ending a fellow competitor's career.......
I hope Brock beats him convincingly if they ever fight again (and I suspect they will).

Post #7   11/10/09 1:04:35PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Posted by Jackelope

I couldn't agree more. I usually get where Mir is coming from when he says crazy things but this is stupidity. Mir has a very dangerous submissions game and if he goes in to end someone's career he has a very high chance of doing so.
I hope he's just speaking from anger because if he's serious and he actually pulls what he said off he'll end his and Brocks career in one fight.

if this is true...
that mir has a better chance of doing this because of his submission skills then shouldn't he always go in w/that mentality? that'd be his best chance of winning. I don't think it means that he woudn't stop when someone taps or the ref steps in but if he hesitates like you do in practice for the sake of safety then he isn't giving it his all.

I don't think he should word things the way he is but when he goes into the ring he should be fighting in a way that gets him the the dub....that probably means fighting to end your opponents career (obviously with in the rules) and it's the refs job to make sure the careers aren't ended.

Last edited 11/10/09 2:21PM server time by maxone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   11/10/09 1:31:18PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,237-808
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
i dont have any problems with what Mir said.

its fighting.plain and simple.

its just like in any other sport.

Coaches teach their players to HURT and PUNISH the other team to win.

you see this in football,basketball,hockey,soccer..its just apart of the game.

Post #9   11/10/09 1:55:14PM   

submissionartist1

KING of the COMPOUND

submissionartist1 Avatar

Career:490-392
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:
I want to see Mir do it! Hes not much smaller then brock and hes got more skill, Frank let himself get in the way of the last fight. He'll Do It.

Post #10   11/10/09 2:25:21PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by george112

Not entirely. If you watch OSU vs. Cal you'll see that after Jahvid Best was injured last week the OSU players were the first ones down on a knee praying for his safety. The same with last year when Anquan Boldin got absolutely nailed.

Its like I said- you go in there to put a hurting on your opponent, but you don't go in there to end his career or cause lifelong injury. That's not sportsman like. Go watch dog fighting if you're into seeing stuff maimed/killed. MMA is a legitimate sport.

Post #11   11/10/09 2:32:58PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,237-808
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by george112

Not entirely. If you watch OSU vs. Cal you'll see that after Jahvid Best was injured last week the OSU players were the first ones down on a knee praying for his safety. The same with last year when Anquan Boldin got absolutely nailed.

Its like I said- you go in there to put a hurting on your opponent, but you don't go in there to end his career or cause lifelong injury. That's not sportsman like. Go watch dog fighting if you're into seeing stuff maimed/killed. MMA is a legitimate sport.

you used 2 games as an example.theres been plenty of times where players actually have a personal vendetta with each other.and i can guarantee you that those players dont care about sportsman like conduct.its easy for us to say that because were not actually in the game.sports are very competitive.players arent saints out there playing

Post #12   11/10/09 3:22:52PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
You want to end Brock's career? Well, you also want to run away for a steamy weekend with Miguel Torres too, but it aint gonna happen.

Post #13   11/10/09 3:23:48PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
I don't see him beating Lesnar unless he works on his wrestling. He also has always had a questionable chin. Lesnar's win over him, was not all that impressive IMO becaues it was so sloppy. He overpowered him and once he was dazed, which Mir has been multiple times in his career, he didn't recover. Vera did that to him too. It's not new in his career. If he had a rock chin, story might be different. If he could absorb punishment a little bit better, he'd be a different kind of fighter.

Post #14   11/10/09 3:34:23PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,466-874
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by EliasG

I don't see him beating Lesnar unless he works on his wrestling. He also has always had a questionable chin. Lesnar's win over him, was not all that impressive IMO becaues it was so sloppy. He overpowered him and once he was dazed, which Mir has been multiple times in his career, he didn't recover. Vera did that to him too. It's not new in his career. If he had a rock chin, story might be different. If he could absorb punishment a little bit better, he'd be a different kind of fighter.

I was very impressed by Brock's performance against Mir. In round one, Brock was able to have absolute control over one of the best ground fighters in the UFC's HW division, and he was able to do some serious damage as well. And then in round two, Brock was able to finish the fight.

Post #15   11/10/09 5:44:29PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2