Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Brett Rogers' trainer wants shot at Overeem

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
Mike Reilly is proud of the way Brett Rogers fought Saturday, even if he came up short.

Rogers took a hard right hand to the chin from Fedor Emelianenko in the second round of their Strikeforce headliner on CBS and was unable to recover.

Link

Post #1   11/9/09 11:36:50AM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I didn't think Fedor was in that much trouble he set up rogers for that armbar and almost finished that fight. I will say that rogers did a fantastic job not getting subbed or letting fedor control him on the ground

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #2   11/9/09 11:51:45AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

I thought Rogers won the first round, although it was very close.

Broke Fedor's nose with his first punch, had him in some trouble against the cage with ground and pound.

Post #3   11/9/09 4:03:14PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I didn't think Brett had a chance against Fedor but he put up a great fight. He could easily have one the first round, it was close. Losing that fight raised his stock a lot for me.

Post #4   11/9/09 4:18:24PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
brett broke fedors nose and his hand (with his face)

if fights are based on who did more damage then brett won. (unless being knocked out counts as damage :) )

if fights are based on who doesn't submit or get knocked out then fedor won.

brett did great i just didn't like that he seemed so angry at fedor. what's he mad at fedor for?

Post #5   11/9/09 5:38:32PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,409-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Has his trainer even had any professional fights ?

Post #6   11/9/09 5:41:52PM   

ThugAngel

Learning to Sprawl

ThugAngel Avatar

Career:357-264
Chips:
I think Fedor would have got the arm bar in the 1st round if the fight was in a ring instead of the cage, the cage allowed Brett to defend against the arm bar attempt. Was a great fight though, Brett will do really well in this sport if he keeps training hard...

Post #7   11/9/09 7:31:12PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
I say strip Overeems title

werdum vs fedor for the vacant belt

Overeem vs Rodgers

Big foot vs new HW signing

Post #8   11/9/09 9:52:30PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by finnish_line

Broke Fedor's nose with his first punch, had him in some trouble against the cage with ground and pound.

Watch it again, it really wasn't that close. Rogers landed about 5 punches. He did a great job defending for a while, but he really didn't do much other than that one jab. The only reason he even got into Fedor's guard is because he rolled for the kimura and set him up for an armbar. When he didn't get it, he got immediately out of that position.

Fedor won the first round pretty clearly IMO.

Post #9   11/9/09 11:32:11PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by finnish_line

Watch it again, it really wasn't that close. Rogers landed about 5 punches. He did a great job defending for a while, but he really didn't do much other than that one jab. The only reason he even got into Fedor's guard is because he rolled for the kimura and set him up for an armbar. When he didn't get it, he got immediately out of that position.

from a pure MMA standpoint I agree with this 100%. I didn't find it close either. After Brett hit him with a shot and it didn't faze Fedor, and Fedor followed up knocking Brett down the first time, very early in the fight, I wasn't at all worried about Fedor. The only reason people are even talking about it is because they saw blood. But if you've seen fedor fight, you'll see that he bleeds quite easily and can get abrasions easily too. His fight againts Heath Herring, Noguira, and many others. Some guys are just like that. Don't get it twisted though blood only equals damage when it gets into the mind of the fighter. Fedor never ever seems fazed or bothered. Even when he's hurt you know he can KO you or sub you the next second.

What gets me too is how ferocious he is when he attacks. Go back and watch the Pride footage on youtube and mmalinker and you'll see just how ridiculous his fights are. He aims to SERIOUSLY HURT YOU in the ring and then when he's done he goes back to Jedi Knight calm status. Crazy.

Post #10   11/10/09 3:52:08PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by EliasG

Posted by Aether

Posted by finnish_line

from a pure MMA standpoint I agree with this 100%. I didn't find it close either. After Brett hit him with a shot and it didn't faze Fedor, and Fedor followed up knocking Brett down the first time, very early in the fight, I wasn't at all worried about Fedor. The only reason people are even talking about it is because they saw blood. But if you've seen fedor fight, you'll see that he bleeds quite easily and can get abrasions easily too. His fight againts Heath Herring, Noguira, and many others. Some guys are just like that. Don't get it twisted though blood only equals damage when it gets into the mind of the fighter. Fedor never ever seems fazed or bothered. Even when he's hurt you know he can KO you or sub you the next second.

What gets me too is how ferocious he is when he attacks. Go back and watch the Pride footage on youtube and mmalinker and you'll see just how ridiculous his fights are. He aims to SERIOUSLY HURT YOU in the ring and then when he's done he goes back to Jedi Knight calm status. Crazy.

You both make it sound like Rodgers didnt do anything, I gave the first round to fedor also but I saw Rodgers
-Get back to his feet almost immediately after the first Fedor takedown
-Pin Fedor against the cage for a minute
-Unleashed some brutal Gnp
-gained Full-Gaurd after Fedor had Half-Gaurd
-broke his nose/bloody nose (this may be nothing to us, who have watched Fedor forever, but Judges see things differently)

Rodgers may have gained these positions through fedors failed sub attempts, but that doesnt change the fact that he gained these positions.

Again, I definitely gave the round to Fedor, its your posts make it sound like Rodgers was lucky the entire round...

Last edited 11/10/09 6:34PM server time by cwb
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   11/10/09 6:32:18PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
You basically repeated exactly what I said he did. You don't get points for getting someone from half guard to full guard or for standing up after a takedown. So what he did was land 1 jab at the start, and then about 3-4 more punches while Fedor went for the sub, which is exactly what I said. I don't really see how saying "he did a great job of defending" is making it sound like he's lucky.

Your post really just reiterated what I already said.

Last edited 11/10/09 7:57PM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   11/10/09 7:54:11PM