Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor's lean weight?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:
I was impressed with Fedor on Saturday. A good fight with a great ending. Well done Rogers by the way.

What I was more impressed with (and have been in most of his recent fights) is that this guy would only be about 200lbs (Dan Henderson) if he where lean!

People say he is a small heavyweight at 230....but his is actually tiny heavyweight if you look at the % of fat on his body compared to Arlovski, Mir, Couture, Cain. You could argue he is a small light heavyweight!!

I do feel he is capable of defeating any heavyweight out there, but he puts himself at such a disadvantage I feel fighting these huge guys. THAT is what impresses me so much about his victory's.

Can you imagine GSP TKO'ing someone 40lbs heavier than him like Rampage? Crazy.

Last edited 11/9/09 6:42AM server time by tomp6581
Edit note/reason: n/a

Advertisement: Check out Fanduel

Post #1   11/9/09 6:41:17AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:2,083-1,355
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by tomp6581

I was impressed with Fedor on Saturday. A good fight with a great ending. Well done Rogers by the way.

What I was more impressed with (and have been in most of his recent fights) is that this guy would only be about 200lbs (Dan Henderson) if he where lean!

People say he is a small heavyweight at 230....but his is actually tiny heavyweight if you look at the % of fat on his body compared to Arlovski, Mir, Couture, Cain. You could argue he is a small light heavyweight!!

I do feel he is capable of defeating any heavyweight out there, but he puts himself at such a disadvantage I feel fighting these huge guys. THAT is what impresses me so much about his victory's.

while i do agree with you about him being able to cut to 200.i just dont think the odds of him doing so amount to anything.especially at this point in his career.

but that does give me something to think about

Post #2   11/9/09 7:52:15AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Fedor and his coaches have said in the past 230/5lb is his ideal weight, he keeps the power of a HW and the speed of a much lighter person. Also I remember him saying something about the extra weight he carries around his stomach is perfect for spreading the impact of blows as apposed to ripped HW's like Arlovski, Kongo, Cain and even Lesnar, Nog and Couture.
I'd be cool to see him fight at LHW though. Maybe he will when Mousasi can't make the drop to 205 anymore.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #3   11/9/09 11:06:57AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Fedor and his coaches have said in the past 230/5lb is his ideal weight, he keeps the power of a HW and the speed of a much lighter person. Also I remember him saying something about the extra weight he carries around his stomach is perfect for spreading the impact of blows as apposed to ripped HW's like Arlovski, Kongo, Cain and even Lesnar, Nog and Couture.
I'd be cool to see him fight at LHW though. Maybe he will when Mousasi can't make the drop to 205 anymore.

Interesting. I would have thought the excess fat would not add or detract form his ability. Either way he must be one of the smallest heavyweights out there.

Post #4   11/9/09 11:18:43AM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,736-1,074
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
There's little doubt that the best HWs can beat the best SHWs and this has been the case for almost the entire history of MMA. Rank the best HWs of all-time and you'll have mostly guys who could have cut to 205 if they wanted to. In any combat sport, there is a decline in physique, coordination, cardio and even in the number of participants when you get to the HW division. If you're one of the few guys blessed with that kind of size and you have good speed, coordinatino and technique then you have the chance to dominate--whether it's wrestling, boxing, kickboxing or MMA. I actually think Fedor would have a couple Ls on his record if he had fought his entire career at 205 rather than HW.

Post #5   11/9/09 12:57:34PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
does no one remember Fedor vs Sobrol or Fedor being pretty much beaten by Arona at 205??

Brandon Vera hasn't looked incredible at 205 for the same reason Fedor won't, speed advantage gone, you are now a slow to mediocre 205er with sizable power and mediocre conditioning. Watch Fedor at 205.

Post #6   11/9/09 2:42:29PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

does no one remember Fedor vs Sobrol or Fedor being pretty much beaten by Arona at 205??

Brandon Vera hasn't looked incredible at 205 for the same reason Fedor won't, speed advantage gone, you are now a slow to mediocre 205er with sizable power and mediocre conditioning. Watch Fedor at 205.

Pretty sure he fought both Arona and Babalu at HW if memory serves.

Post #7   11/9/09 2:56:17PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:2,047-1,306
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by seanfu

Pretty sure he fought both Arona and Babalu at HW if memory serves.

I thought so too.
Plus,even if he was at 205,you have to factor in the major difference in the rules as well. The rules in RINGS were different than what we have now,and I believe they were less suiting to Fedors style.

Post #8   11/9/09 3:06:00PM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,736-1,074
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
He did fight Arona and Babalu at HW, but I think the point was that he had more trouble with those smaller fighters than he did with super heavyweights.

Post #9   11/9/09 3:31:32PM   

burialchamber

Standup Guy

burialchamber Avatar

Career:287-139
Chips:

Posted by tomp6581

I agree with what you're saying. I am always impressed by Fedor's ability to take out much larger dudes.

But I just wanted to say, the 40 pound difference between Fedor's weight and Rogers' weight is only 17% of Fedor's total body mass. 17% of GSP's total body mass is about 31-32 pounds, so it would be like GSP taking out anybody who cuts from around 215.

So if he ever has to fight Anthony Johnson, it will be a similar weight difference as between Fedor and Rogers. (Actually, most people that have to fight AJ at welterweight will have that weight difference.)

Post #10   11/9/09 6:41:22PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
If Fedor ever did move to the UFC I would like to see him drop that access 15-20 lbs and fight at 205. He is at such a disadvantage in a cage against some of the monster UFC heavies.....and when you consider the match-ups there is in the UFC for Fedor at LHW....holy ****!

MMA should really acknowledge the gap between 205 and 265...
155-170- 15
170-185- 15
185-205- 20
205-265- WTF?

Advertisement: Check out Fanduel

Post #11   11/10/09 1:26:36AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by burialchamber

Posted by tomp6581

I agree with what you're saying. I am always impressed by Fedor's ability to take out much larger dudes.

But I just wanted to say, the 40 pound difference between Fedor's weight and Rogers' weight is only 17% of Fedor's total body mass. 17% of GSP's total body mass is about 31-32 pounds, so it would be like GSP taking out anybody who cuts from around 215.

So if he ever has to fight Anthony Johnson, it will be a similar weight difference as between Fedor and Rogers. (Actually, most people that have to fight AJ at welterweight will have that weight difference.)

Im sure GSP weights alot more than 182lbs before he starts to cut weight. But I take your point about keeping it proportional.

Last edited 11/10/09 7:53AM server time by tomp6581

Post #12   11/10/09 7:53:27AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-506
Chips:
I don't see how anyone can possibly use the Sobral and Arona fights as evidence that he wouldn't do as well at 205.

Those were the 4th and 7th fights of his career... That's like saying Anderson wouldn't do as well at welterweight because he got decisioned by Luiz Azeredo in Mecca. lol come on.

This is a totally different fighter from the guy who fought in RINGS. He was impressive in RINGS, but he was nowhere near the skill level that he is at now. 20-25 fights makes a pretty huge difference guys. That's a pretty weak argument. Do you think either of those guys would get out of the first round with him at this point?

If he were to cut to 205, which will never happen, I would pick him as the favourite against anyone. His Sambo alone would be enough to wreck 95% of LHWs. Can anyone think of a 205er that they would actually pick to beat Fedor?

The only person I can think of that would have a solid chance would be Anderson.

Last edited 11/10/09 8:28AM server time by Aether

Post #13   11/10/09 8:24:16AM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by tomp6581

By this logic, Roy Nelson is a tiny HW and Butterbean shouldnt be fighting at SuperHeavy.

I do understand what your saying, but i disagree.

Post #14   11/10/09 6:06:18PM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Chips:
What do you disagree with?

Roy Nelson and Butterbean are poor analogy's.

These guys are huge fat, obese fighters, and tip near/over the 265lbs cut off mark of the heavyweight division. So even though they are very fat, they are still big heavyweights.

A Fat Fedor at 230, is still a small heavyweight. If he lost 30lbs, which he could easily do. He would be smaller than most light-heavys and some middleweights.

Post #15   11/11/09 9:40:51AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2