Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Fabricio Werdum: "It's my turn to fight Fedor"

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
“It’s my turn now. I have a lot of respect for Fedor. He is the best in the world. I already fought (Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion) Alistair Overeem in Japan. It’s my turn to fight Fedor. I believe in my techniques and if it goes to the ground, I believe in my jiu-jitsu.”

–Strikeforce heavyweight contender Fabricio Werdum, who has a 2006 submission win over current Strikeforce division champion Alistair Overeem, believes his Nov. 7 win over Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva earned him the right to face Fedor Emelianenko in his next bout.

Link

Post #1   11/8/09 7:51:57PM   

DosBox

MMA Regular

DosBox Avatar

Career:906-530
Chips:
I would agree with Werdum, and I would try to push that fight from a relevant standpoint if I were StrikeForce. Werdum is definitely a guy that is I feel is a bit undervalued as an MMA fighter based on his episode of ballooning up to 256 lbs and then getting knocked out in his fight with Junior Dos Santos (which is probably a fight he should not have even been in giving the situation with the HW title picture in the UFC- should have fought for the title instead of giving it to Brock).

Werdum is generally a very resilient fighter (if you take out the Dos Santos fight - once again, showing up out of shape etc... will do that to you) but having said that his striking in terms of technique/power will not give Fedor any type of threat. The only takedowns Werdum has in his arsenal come from clinch/trip takedowns, a part of the game Fedor excels at (offensively and defensively). Werdum could basically be called a "Poor Man's Nogueira" in terms of his attributes and pedigree at the MMA level.

I like the fight in terms of relevancy in the HW division, or as a relevant fight for Fedor, but I do not like the odds for Mr. Werdum.

Post #2   11/8/09 8:10:45PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

“I believe in my techniques and if it goes to the ground, I believe in my jiu-jitsu.”

lol. Oh it's going to the ground Fabricio. Believe me; it's going to the ground. But I'm pretty sure you'll be face down by the time it get's there and I doubt you're jitz will offer much help at that point.

Either way though, seeing Fedor fight relavent HW's on a regular basis is always a good thing so I wouldn't complain at all about the fight if it was announced.

Last edited 11/8/09 8:12PM server time by bojangalz
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   11/8/09 8:11:48PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
I've always liked Werdum, but after watching Bigfoot give him just about all he could handle on Saturday night I think it's safe to say Fedor would be way too much for him. That's not to say the fight shouldn't happen, but he's probably just another one of Fedor's many victims.

Post #4   11/8/09 8:20:05PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,316-1,241
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
He's right.....Strikeforce even said themselves that these heavyweight matchups were sorta tournament style, therefore Fedor won......Werdum won, it's his turn to fight Fedor.

I think Werdum poses one of the best chances of beating Fedor if the fight hits the mat, althought Fedors GNP is vicious, he could knock Werdum silly. Regardless, this is a matchup that needs to happen.

Might as well match up Big Foot vs. Rogers too, but I'm not too sure they want either of them to lose two fights in a row.

This should be interesting.

Post #5   11/8/09 10:28:15PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I've always thought of Werdum as a good fighter. He impressed me Saturday night. He played a smart gameplan vs. bigfoot, and when Bigfoot slowed down he displayed some pretty decent Muay Thai. Bigfoot doesn't get as much credit he deserves IMO.

I could see Werdum presenting some interesting problems for Fedor. No matter who they're fighting you have to respect the danger of fighting a 2X Abu Dhabi champion.

Post #6   11/8/09 11:07:46PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
One of the few relevant and dangerous fights for fedor outside of the UFC. I agree that Fedor would be a heavy favorite but werdum does offer some good challenges.

Post #7   11/8/09 11:12:17PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Meh. I'd rather see Fedor/Rogers 2.

Post #8   11/9/09 8:29:13AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,842-1,052
Chips:

I could see Werdum presenting some interesting problems for Fedor. No matter who they're fighting you have to respect the danger of fighting a 2X Abu Dhabi champion.

Werdum definitely has skills, but I think his weaknesses as a fighter (poor striking and defense outside of clinch range, weak chin, and lack of effective takedowns) will doom him in a match with Fedor.

A 2x ADCC champ always has a chance in any fight, but the chances are very slim that Werdum will be able to get Fedor in a bad spot and lock on a sub that Fedor will tap to.

IMO, the person that will beat Fedor will be a very well-rounded fighter with a huge size and athletic advantage. I don't see a fighter who specializes in one area of mma, be it striking, bjj, or wrestling able to hang with Fedor's supremely well-rounded (although unorthodox) skills. .

Post #9   11/9/09 10:17:23AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Meh. I'd rather see Fedor/Rogers 2.

Why?

Not to discredit Brett, but like was said in a recent interview even by his trainer....Brett has only been at the top of the HW list for 5 months...while Fedor and others such as Werdum and Overeem have been there for years. Sure Werdum and Overeem have had their share of losses, but I would much rather see a new opponent against Fedor that he hasn't faced before, rather than someone he just beat. Although, I was thoroughly impressed with Rogers performance, for sure. Seems like they are seeking Overeem now tho.

Last edited 11/9/09 11:03AM server time by xdanish020
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   11/9/09 11:02:32AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

Why?

Not to discredit Brett, but like was said in a recent interview even by his trainer....Brett has only been at the top of the HW list for 5 months...while Fedor and others such as Werdum and Overeem have been there for years. Sure Werdum and Overeem have had their share of losses, but I would much rather see a new opponent against Fedor that he hasn't faced before, rather than someone he just beat. Although, I was thoroughly impressed with Rogers performance, for sure. Seems like they are seeking Overeem now tho.

It's simple. The fight the other night was exciting to watch. I don't see a Fedor and Werdum match being exciting at all. I believe Fedor would drop him within 90 seconds and the (extremely one-sided) fight would be over.

Post #11   11/9/09 11:11:27AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by xdanish020

Why?

It's simple. The fight the other night was exciting to watch. I don't see a Fedor and Werdum match being exciting at all. I believe Fedor would drop him within 90 seconds and the (extremely one-sided) fight would be over.

True but you must also remember that Fedor is not used to fighting in a cage. I think that played a small role in how the fight was dictated.

Post #12   11/9/09 11:16:51AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

True but you must also remember that Fedor is not used to fighting in a cage. I think that played a small role in how the fight was dictated.

It is what it is. Exciting.

Werdum isn't used to fighting a Fedor, either...

Post #13   11/9/09 11:18:03AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by xdanish020

It is what it is. Exciting.

Werdum isn't used to fighting a Fedor, either...

Post #14   11/9/09 12:11:41PM