Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

SURVEY: Most over-rated rapper of all-time?

Print  
  Page 5 of 5   <<   2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by Naturaldisaster

I love lil wayne, i dont think he's overrated at all, but thats just my opinion. Rap doesnt have to be about one single thing, it can be about anything. yeah he raps about drugs sometimes and that aint my thing but the guy is truely a poet. its amazing how he comes up with his rhymes off the top of his head, he hasnt wrote a rhyme down in years, and he can rap about anything at all. he has some serious stuff, some stuff you can dance to, and some stuff thats just silly as hell. to me thats a true rapper.

as an emcee Wayne is average. he's improved a lot as far as skills go but he's not a good writer in general and makes terrible songs for the most part by "hip hop" standards but obviously makes hit songs by pop cultures standards.

pretty much any emcee can spit off the top...that's almost a prerequisite. There are a few that aren't known for their off the top skills but still get big respect in hip hop (Rakim, Guru etc.)

i don't know about of all time but i'd have to put wayne as most over rated rapper currently. For him to even be listed with KRS, Rakim, Kool Moe Dee, Eminem, Monch, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G. Rap, and honestly probably 1000s (i'm serious....I can think of several 100 that can rap circles around him both off the top and pre-written no prob) of others is a big stretch.

Last edited 12/14/09 1:57PM server time by maxone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #61   12/14/09 1:56:34PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Two rappers that I never really understood their popularity are Lil Wayne and Nas.

Nas and Wayne?
Well Nas was the "2nd coming of Rakim" when Illmatic dropped (according to all the hype) and for the most part he's lived up to it. He went through a semi-wack phase content wise but always killed it lyrically and delivery wise.

Post #62   12/14/09 2:01:32PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

Posted by king_katool
pretty much any rapper in the mainstream today is garbage, might be a song or 2 thats catchy but rap is dead,

I agree with the first part of what you said here, but Hip-Hop isn't dead. Minneapolis probably has the best Hip-Hop scene in the country right now. Rhymesayers Records, Atmosphere, Doomtree, P.O.S., Brother Ali, and we have national acts coming through quite frequently. We are also home to the largest Hip-Hop festival in the country called Soundset. Brought in over 40,000 people last year, and a lot of people traveled a long way for it.

I pretty much hate anything mainstream since the record lables basically buy there artists way onto the radio, but there is a lot of good Hip-Hop you are never going to here on any mainstream radio station.

All that being said I'm not a huge Hip-Hop fan but I've got friends who are, so I know the scene, I'm familiar with the artists, but I'm more a metal head myself. I do like a lot of it, but it's really not my scene.

Brother Ali puts the biggest smile on my face. He's by far the most underrated MC on earth.

Last edited 12/15/09 12:11AM server time by Gogoplatapus
Edit note/reason: Long live Hip Hop

Post #63   12/15/09 12:10:26AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Posted by RyanC

Posted by king_katool
pretty much any rapper in the mainstream today is garbage, might be a song or 2 thats catchy but rap is dead,

I agree with the first part of what you said here, but Hip-Hop isn't dead. Minneapolis probably has the best Hip-Hop scene in the country right now. Rhymesayers Records, Atmosphere, Doomtree, P.O.S., Brother Ali, and we have national acts coming through quite frequently. We are also home to the largest Hip-Hop festival in the country called Soundset. Brought in over 40,000 people last year, and a lot of people traveled a long way for it.

I pretty much hate anything mainstream since the record lables basically buy there artists way onto the radio, but there is a lot of good Hip-Hop you are never going to here on any mainstream radio station.

All that being said I'm not a huge Hip-Hop fan but I've got friends who are, so I know the scene, I'm familiar with the artists, but I'm more a metal head myself. I do like a lot of it, but it's really not my scene.

Brother Ali puts the biggest smile on my face. He's by far the most underrated MC on earth.

he's my favorite of the Rhymesayers. He's dope.

Post #64   12/15/09 4:39:10AM   

Page 5 of 5   <<   2     3     4     5