Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

SURVEY: Most over-rated rapper of all-time?

Print  
  Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Most underrrated IMO- EPMD

You got's to chill

Think 2 pac is the most overrated.

Also want to add the DOC to the underrated group . Before his accident I think he was the next great one, but he still wrote a lot of others peoples stuff after his voice got jacked.

Last edited 11/8/09 3:38AM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #46   11/8/09 3:31:33AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,763-1,032
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
2 Pac, Biggie, 50 Pence & pretty much anybody associated with him (except Eminem)

Post #47   11/8/09 5:24:55AM   

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Career:363-219
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

But in all seriousness, I'm a fairly open minded person when it comes to music, and I listen to a fair amount of rap, but how the **** do people listen to Lil Wayne. Oh, my, god. I want to kill myself whenever I hear him.

Post #48   11/8/09 2:56:34PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
i'm just excited that folks are actually discussing hip hop here. I had no idea.

Post #49   12/12/09 1:46:10AM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
I love lil wayne, i dont think he's overrated at all, but thats just my opinion. Rap doesnt have to be about one single thing, it can be about anything. yeah he raps about drugs sometimes and that aint my thing but the guy is truely a poet. its amazing how he comes up with his rhymes off the top of his head, he hasnt wrote a rhyme down in years, and he can rap about anything at all. he has some serious stuff, some stuff you can dance to, and some stuff thats just silly as hell. to me thats a true rapper.

Post #50   12/12/09 5:43:41AM   

king_katool

MMA Sensei

king_katool Avatar

Career:325-231
Chips:
how'd i miss this topic,

Lil Wayne FOR SURE, he has a terrible voice(2cd coming of ja rule) no flow, and ***** with the auto tone, or whatever makes his voice all static like,

I loved 2pac, he's a great rapper, but at the same time i do agree he's overrated, he's not as good as people say he is, bottom of the top 10

jay-z is def overrated, ive never liked his stuff, a couple freestyles were slick but most of his stuff is horrible

one person i think gets a little too much hate is Eminem, for him to come up in th game as a white guy and kill **** like he did takes mad skill, sure he puts out those stupid tracks, but theres one song where he just mumbles nothing, and then says i just sold a record and i aint said ****,

pretty much any rapper in the mainstream today is garbage, might be a song or 2 thats catchy but rap is dead,

Post #51   12/12/09 12:09:23PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:1,961-1,087
Chips:
My pick is... every single one of them out there that at some point in their career resorted to auto-tune, i mean come on, it's just horrible, if you can't sing just shut up

Post #52   12/12/09 12:29:27PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by king_katool
pretty much any rapper in the mainstream today is garbage, might be a song or 2 thats catchy but rap is dead,

I agree with the first part of what you said here, but Hip-Hop isn't dead. Minneapolis probably has the best Hip-Hop scene in the country right now. Rhymesayers Records, Atmosphere, Doomtree, P.O.S., Brother Ali, and we have national acts coming through quite frequently. We are also home to the largest Hip-Hop festival in the country called Soundset. Brought in over 40,000 people last year, and a lot of people traveled a long way for it.

I pretty much hate anything mainstream since the record lables basically buy there artists way onto the radio, but there is a lot of good Hip-Hop you are never going to here on any mainstream radio station.

All that being said I'm not a huge Hip-Hop fan but I've got friends who are, so I know the scene, I'm familiar with the artists, but I'm more a metal head myself. I do like a lot of it, but it's really not my scene.

Last edited 12/12/09 12:33PM server time by RyanC
Edit note/reason: spelling

Post #53   12/12/09 12:32:08PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:
My picks for overrated:

Lil Wayne
Kanye
Jay Z
50 Cent (although I like him as a person. He's had a crazy life, and he's an entrepenuer genius.)

Post #54   12/12/09 12:38:36PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,205-781
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
50 cent hands down for sure.

its like hes not even rapping.all his songs sound like hes just talking in a weird low rumble.its weird an hard to explain.

the only reason i like lil wayne is because of his lyrical metaphors an what not.really thats how i judge rappers "skills".if they tell a story or make sense out of things i would have never thought about than i listen to them

make sense?

Post #55   12/12/09 1:18:07PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Aren't they all? Holla.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #56   12/12/09 1:20:23PM   

king_katool

MMA Sensei

king_katool Avatar

Career:325-231
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

Posted by king_katool

I agree with the first part of what you said here, but Hip-Hop isn't dead. Minneapolis probably has the best Hip-Hop scene in the country right now. Rhymesayers Records, Atmosphere, Doomtree, P.O.S., Brother Ali, and we have national acts coming through quite frequently. We are also home to the largest Hip-Hop festival in the country called Soundset. Brought in over 40,000 people last year, and a lot of people traveled a long way for it.

I pretty much hate anything mainstream since the record lables basically buy there artists way onto the radio, but there is a lot of good Hip-Hop you are never going to here on any mainstream radio station.

All that being said I'm not a huge Hip-Hop fan but I've got friends who are, so I know the scene, I'm familiar with the artists, but I'm more a metal head myself. I do like a lot of it, but it's really not my scene.

the reason i say its dead is because the wrong hip hop gets put out as the best,i love the rappers you mentioned but how many people know these guys over 50 cent or lil wayne, thats what i meant,

Post #57   12/12/09 7:32:23PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by king_katool

the reason i say its dead is because the wrong hip hop gets put out as the best,i love the rappers you mentioned but how many people know these guys over 50 cent or lil wayne, thats what i meant,

Thanks for clarifying. I totally agree with you. I'd prefer the people I mentioned stay out of the mainstream, and I'm pretty sure they would too. There is a reason Slug (Atmosphere) and guys like him won't sign with a major label. He's turned down quite a few deals over the years to stay independent, and continues to do things his own way.

Post #58   12/13/09 11:32:26AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by king_katool

If that's the case, then I suppose every genre of music qualifies as 'dead.' Popular music becomes popular by not alienating any of its potential audience. The music that reaches a wide audience has, almost by definition, been watered down.

Put another way, commercial radio is for pussies.

Last edited 12/13/09 12:17PM server time by AchillesHeel
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #59   12/13/09 12:16:30PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by king_katool

If that's the case, then I suppose every genre of music qualifies as 'dead.' Popular music becomes popular by not alienating any of its potential audience. The music that reaches a wide audience has, almost by definition, been watered down.

Put another way, commercial radio is for pussies.

That's why death metal rules!

Post #60   12/13/09 12:27:52PM   

Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5