Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

SURVEY: Most over-rated rapper of all-time?

Print  
  Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
...(8) Ice Ice Baby

Post #16   11/6/09 12:20:03PM   

PABLOMAFIOSO

In Full Mount

PABLOMAFIOSO Avatar

Career:979-657
Chips:
Biggie is one of my favourite rappers. Some of his freestyle stuff is amazing. Talking of amazing freestyle (for anyone who doubts him) check out some of Eminem's early battle material.
One of the "rappers" I can't get is Lil' Wayne. Has he released anything without heavy studio editing and effects added to his voice? For how successful he is (with no abundant talent) Lil' Wayne would be my pick

Post #17   11/6/09 12:40:50PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

i knew someone would mention eminem. im not a fan of the person, or even a big fan of his music, but the guy is undeniably talented IMO. he makes things rhyme that just shouldnt fit together, and has a great flow. i cant list him as one of the guys i think is overrated, hes one of the few truly talent rappers to come out after the early 90's IMO.

I like about 60-70% of Eminem's stuff. I personally don't think he's overrated.

Post #18   11/6/09 1:11:46PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
2pac IMO is one of the best rappers of all time.

the reason so many people think so is because of his style and lyrics.he just wasnt rapping about having material things like rappers nowadays.he told stories of how his life was during that time.listen to his lyrics.

Eminem sometimes does this to.when hes not making weird pointless nonsense

Post #19   11/6/09 1:46:03PM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:
I used to hate Lil Wayne, I still think he is overrated but I have to give him respect because the kid has been working hard to make it where he is today since he was nine or something rediculous. Check out the VH1 Behind the music on him. Changed my opinion of the man instead of the rapper. Although I must say, the guy doesn't write a single thing down, just freestyles everything off the top of his head. Even though you can tell he doesn't write things down sometimes due to the quality of rhyme, he has some verses that just blow my mind.

I think Jay-Z is most overrated of all time. One of my friends calls him the Ultimate Lyric Biter. Being that he "borrows" tons of stuff from other artists.

Last edited 11/6/09 1:52PM server time by fizzle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   11/6/09 1:51:39PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
I cant stand this new wave of rap, it all sounds like recylced beats and meaningless lyrics to me... Gimme the classics, gimme the old school, like...

KRS-One
Big Daddy Kane
NWA
Beastie Boys
Naughty By Nature
2Pac
Digital Underground
House Of Pain
Geto Boys
Westside Connection
Ice Cube
A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul
The Pharcyde
Gang Starr

Post #21   11/6/09 2:23:51PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,297-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Em is my favorite rapper so I'm baised. His cd's are good but his mixtape songs are unreal. Especially when he is going at other rappers. Not a fan of Lil Wayne either.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #22   11/6/09 2:27:40PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:
Some of my all-time favorite hip-hop/rap artists...
------
Snoop Dogg
Dr. Dre
Wu Tang
NWA
Eazy E
Too Short
A Tribe Called Quest
Slick Rick
Method Man
Beastie Boys
Jurassic 5
People Under the Stairs
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
Cypress Hill

Last edited 11/6/09 3:00PM server time by emfleek
2 total post edits

Post #23   11/6/09 2:47:59PM   

SpiderSilva

Reminder: steelers suck!!!

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,855-1,155
Chips:
Wow 2pac and biggie could flow like crazy both were no way in hell overrated they dominated their time as 2 amazing rappers and who doesn't like at least 1 song of theirs em is a vary good rapper and Jay Z wow those 4 are really good

Overrated are people like Lil' Wayne and all those cash money guys camillionaire,DMX

But in the end everyone has their own taste in music that's why its all so differant

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #24   11/6/09 3:43:03PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,781-1,448
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

------
Snoop Dogg
Dr. Dre
Wu Tang
NWA
Eazy E
Too Short
A Tribe Called Quest
Slick Rick
Method Man
Beastie Boys
Jurassic 5
People Under the Stairs
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
Cypress Hill

Find it funny you listed Jay Z as the most overrated rapper of all time then list Eazy E as an all time fav.

Post #25   11/6/09 4:36:31PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Find it funny you listed Jay Z as the most overrated rapper of all time then list Eazy E as an all time fav.

Um, cool?

Last edited 11/6/09 4:40PM server time by emfleek

Post #26   11/6/09 4:40:29PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
Tupac, Biggie, NWA, Wu-Tang, Eminem, Big-L, etc. I cant even comprehend how any of these guys can be labelled overrated. (i know most agree, i just cant see any disagreements)

I understand its personal taste but those guys put down some of the most lyrically talented lines ever. (and that to me makes a great rapper, not the sound they create) Dont get me wrong sound, style, delivery, and beats are important but the message and the word play are the most important to me

If you dont think Jay is overrated check this out
Jay-Z= Biter not a Writer

But in todays rap scene I think rappers like Jay-z are god compared to this new age crap

The only rappers today that are even worth listening to are
Jay-Z (his new album says some real ****), 50-Cent (probably the best out right now besides Em), Eminem (obviously), Nas, plus some others that have slipped my mind, and theres a sh*tload of underground rap some great some sucks

Over rated
LIL WAYNE -(people actually argue for him as the GOAT of rap)
plus
anyone on these Hip Hop stations today
shut up - chamileonaire, ludicris, jadakiss, lil jon, Mike jones, paul wall, rick ross etc you all are fake and F'n suck

Last edited 11/6/09 4:46PM server time by cwb

Post #27   11/6/09 4:44:01PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by emfleek

------
Snoop Dogg
Dr. Dre
Wu Tang
NWA
Eazy E
Too Short
A Tribe Called Quest
Slick Rick
Method Man
Beastie Boys
Jurassic 5
People Under the Stairs
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
Cypress Hill

I do think Jay-z is overated but he does have some great stuff (besides his bitten verses)
Case in point one of my favorite rap songs/freestyles of all time-

Case in pointBig L & Jay Z- 7 minute freestyle (early 90's)

I owe props Fleek
People under the stairs - Acid Raindrops = one of my Fav. songs of all time
Slick Rick- so often forgotten, had a style all his own that no one can emulate

P.S. whats wrong with Easy E he has tons of great stuff...

Post #28   11/6/09 4:59:24PM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Shawn91111

Um, cool?

to be fair, eazy died before he could of made countless more albums and

Str8 off tha Streetz of Muthaphukkin Compton is one of the greatest rap albums ever . top 10 for me .

The same goes for BIG L , who IMO is the greatest rapper of all time and also died before he could of made countless more . The Big picture is another top 10 for me .

EDIT: CWB you got some good taste , i absolutely love the song acid raindrops and that 7 min freestyle is one of the best ever . The only free that tops it is the 98 freestyle ... If you havent heard BIG L's Harlems finest , a freestyle history , you have to check it out!!!! Best freestyle album ever!!!!! BIG L REST IN PEACE

Last edited 11/6/09 5:53PM server time by andersondasilva
2 total post edits

Post #29   11/6/09 5:40:59PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Chips:

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Shawn91111

Um, cool?

to be fair, eazy died before he could of made countless more albums and

Str8 off tha Streetz of Muthaphukkin Compton is one of the greatest rap albums ever . top 10 for me .

The same goes for BIG L , who IMO is the greatest rapper of all time and also died before he could of made countless more . The Big picture is another top 10 for me .

EDIT: CWB you got some good taste , i absolutely love the song acid raindrops and that 7 min freestyle is one of the best ever . The only free that tops it is the 98 freestyle ... If you havent heard BIG L's Harlems finest , a freestyle history , you have to check it out!!!! Best freestyle album ever!!!!! BIG L REST IN PEACE

I love 98 freestyle and basically every Big L verse/freestyle/song of his, i have spent so much time searchin for everything big L tryin to hear everything he made im pretty sure ive heard most of it.

Big L is the most Underrated raper of all time and his influence on other great rappers has been huge. (for those who dont know)

Last edited 11/6/09 6:02PM server time by cwb
2 total post edits

Post #30   11/6/09 5:58:28PM   

Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5