Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Strikeforce Mini Heavyweight Tournament Kicks Off 11/7 For Shot At Overeem

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
While they wait for Heavyweight Champion Alistair Overeem to return in spring of next year, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker recently revealed that tomorrow's Heavyweight fights are actually part of a mini-tournament to determine who gets Overeem when he returns. Coker hints at possibly a fight between the Antonio Silva-Fabricio Werdum and Fedor-Brett Rogers winners to see who will get the first title shot.

Article

Post #1   11/6/09 10:15:19AM   

bootyclause

MMA Regular

Career:1,044-777
Chips:
i understand wanting to have "org integrity" by respecting your own belt holders but Overeem doesn't respect the org back. the idea of having Fedor go through 2 fights for the "privilege" of fighting Overeem for their belt is ludicrous.

Post #2   11/6/09 11:46:35AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Posted by bootyclause

i understand wanting to have "org integrity" by respecting your own belt holders but Overeem doesn't respect the org back. the idea of having Fedor go through 2 fights for the "privilege" of fighting Overeem for their belt is ludicrous.

They know their best heavyweight fight is Overeem/Fedor, but not enough casual fans know who Fedor is yet, plus Overeem won't be ready to go for Strikeforce for months.

This is a good idea. Fedor was always intended to fight Overeem in his 3rd Strikeforce fight after being built up by promotion.

Fedor will easily win twice.

Post #3   11/6/09 11:59:01AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by finnish_line

Posted by bootyclause

They know their best heavyweight fight is Overeem/Fedor, but not enough casual fans know who Fedor is yet, plus Overeem won't be ready to go for Strikeforce for months.

This is a good idea. Fedor was always intended to fight Overeem in his 3rd Strikeforce fight after being built up by promotion.

Fedor will easily win twice.

I agree. The (unfortunate) fact is that Overeem is the champ. Strikeforce could strip him of the belt, but I don't mind that they're hanging in there. In the meantime, seeing Fedor in two non-title fights doesn't bother me. I'd watch Fedor wrestle with a jar of pickles. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Fedor-v-Werdum, which was one of those Pride fights we never got to see. If Josh Barnett can get his act together and face the winner of the next title fight, Strikeforce could have a real humdinger on its hands.

Post #4   11/6/09 12:26:23PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
I like it.
get everybody more well known to the average viewer first.

Post #5   11/6/09 2:50:00PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
The only good thing about them letting him keep the belt will be watching Fedor take it away from him by total destruction.

It's pretty sickening how nonchalant the guy is about his obligations to strikeforce. This is a fine working example of why the UFC will NEVER sign non-exclusive contracts.

Post #6   11/6/09 2:57:44PM   

kasual

MMA Regular

kasual Avatar

Career:353-201
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:
Hahaha, another bullcrap stall tactic keeping Overeem from competition in the U.S. Imagine, the worlds top heavyweight fights through a "tournament" of people to face someone who is not even a top ten ranked heavyweight.

Strikeforce needs to get that guy fighting to legitimize that belt ASAP.

Last edited 11/6/09 4:27PM server time by kasual
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   11/6/09 3:15:01PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I can't wait for Overeem v Fedor

Post #8   11/6/09 5:26:42PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,347-1,263
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think this is awesome and very interesting.

I'd love to see Fedor vs. Silva or Werdum

Post #9   11/7/09 2:31:46AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,730-1,561
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm so sick of Overeem. There is no way in hell he'd win against Fedor, Rogers, Werdum or Silva. He's very overrated in my eyes. With that being said though, I'd love to see any of those 4 guys beat him to finally give strikeforce a reasonable champion.

Post #10   11/7/09 7:32:51PM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

I'm so sick of Overeem. There is no way in hell he'd win against Fedor, Rogers, Werdum or Silva. He's very overrated in my eyes. With that being said though, I'd love to see any of those 4 guys beat him to finally give strikeforce a reasonable champion.

It's still to be seen if he can beat Fedor but I would pick him to beat Rogers, Werdum and Silva all in the same night. You might not like how Overeem has handled his business as a champion for Strikeforce but the guy has been wrecking people lately and looks alot better than he has in the past.

Post #11   11/7/09 11:01:19PM