Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Sports Apparel Giant Under Armour Signs GSP To Deal

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
The sports apparel giant Under Armour, best known perhaps for their slogan/sales pitch "We Must Protect This House!", has found themselves a fighter to help protect their house-Georges St. Pierre. The UFC Welterweight Champion has signed a multi-year endorsement deal with Under Armour, becoming the first MMA fighter to score such a major deal with the company. St-Pierre will be the face of specific Under Armor products, including the BoxerJock and BoxerBrief lines and Recharge suit, beginning in early 2010.

Article

Post #1   11/5/09 10:48:34AM   

Macheetah

MMA Regular

Career:76-50
Chips:
What's up with GSP getting all of the good sponsorships/endorsements?

Post #2   11/5/09 11:23:17AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Macheetah

Just look at his PPV numbers and it will all make sense.

Post #3   11/5/09 11:24:56AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Chips:
It also doesn't hurt that he's perhaps the most popular fighter in UFC not named Couture. He's a great fighter but he also has posterboy looks and charisma that appeal to a wide fanbase.
Under Armour should change their slogan now with this, or at least find a way to integrate "I Am Not Impressed By/With Your Performance" into his spots.

Post #4   11/5/09 11:32:58AM   

Macheetah

MMA Regular

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Macheetah

Yeah I understand that, but I would like to see big sponsors like this look into more fighters and invest some more. There are other people in the sport that are just as good if not better to sponsor then GSP. I think it's time for the UFC to get some more major sponsors. They can do better than Harley Davidson and Bud Light.

What I'm saying is I wish they would show some interest in the sport instead of just throwing their logo on one fighter.

Last edited 11/5/09 11:51AM server time by Macheetah
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   11/5/09 11:49:39AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Macheetah

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Macheetah

Yeah I understand that, but I would like to see big sponsors like this look into more fighters and invest some more. There are other people in the sport that are just as good if not better to sponsor then GSP. I think it's time for the UFC to get some more major sponsors. They can do better than Harley Davidson and Bud Light.

What I'm saying is I wish they would show some interest in the sport instead of just throwing their logo on one fighter.

I agree with some of your points. Harley Davidson and Bud Light are pretty damn good sponsors, though. You figure Bud Light sponsors the Super Bowl, so I'm not sure it gets much bigger than that. Maybe something like McDonald's or something would be bigger? I don't even know. Wal-Mart? How much bigger than Bud Light can it get? Coca-Cola?

As far as this point-

There are other people in the sport that are just as good if not better to sponsor then GSP.

That's not really true. Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, Brock Lesnar and GSP are the biggest PPV draws as far as I know. With Chuck Liddell's career on the decline and Randy getting older, I am not sure you can make the argument that there are just as good if not better fighters besides Brock Lesnar, whom we haven't even seen enough of yet to know whether he's going to continue to dominate or not. GSP is showing no signs of slowing down, and in fact he's only separating himself further and further from the rest of the competition out there. Not to mention how much the ladies love him. I'm not trying to call you out or anything, just saying.. the PPV numbers speak for themselves. Go look them up.

Post #6   11/5/09 12:05:06PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

GSP is showing no signs of slowing down, and in fact he's only separating himself further and further from the rest of the competition out there. Not to mention how much the ladies love him.

There is certainly no arguing that. I'd be willing to bet that GSP is the Gina Carano of MMA in terms of being a leader in the opposite sex attraction fan department.

Post #7   11/5/09 1:06:59PM   

Macheetah

MMA Regular

Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by Jackelope

GSP is showing no signs of slowing down, and in fact he's only separating himself further and further from the rest of the competition out there. Not to mention how much the ladies love him.

There is certainly no arguing that. I'd be willing to bet that GSP is the Gina Carano of MMA in terms of being a leader in the opposite sex attraction fan department.

I don't see how, I know chicks who have referred to him as "fugly"

Last edited 11/5/09 1:18PM server time by Macheetah
2 total post edits

Post #8   11/5/09 1:17:07PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Macheetah

I don't see how, I know chicks who have referred to him as "fugly"

Damn, that sux! I've been told by multiple people that I sort of look like GSP. I guess that means I'm fugly

(I think people tell me that because I'm white, bald, and sort of athletically built, btw. Not because I'm some kind of stud)

Post #9   11/5/09 1:24:58PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
I imagine being bilingual is a plus for advertisers looking for spokespeople, and I wouldn't be surprised if GSP were popular and well-recognized in Canada. Anything to broaden an audience, in this economy.

Last edited 11/5/09 1:35PM server time by AchillesHeel

Post #10   11/5/09 1:35:16PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Chips:
GSP is to Canada what Tiger is to golf in the US. He's Michael Jordan, Tiger, and almost everyone else rolled into one.

Post #11   11/5/09 1:49:12PM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

GSP is to Canada what Tiger is to golf in the US. He's Michael Jordan, Tiger, and almost everyone else rolled into one.

Slow down buddy, GSP is no where that popular in Canada. Everybody knows who Tiger Woods is but GSP is not that well know, maybe in Montreal yes here in Gatineau as well but am sure i could show his picture to a lot of people and they would have no idea who he is.

Post #12   11/5/09 2:06:46PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by jocka

Slow down buddy, GSP is no where that popular in Canada. Everybody knows who Tiger Woods is but GSP is not that well know, maybe in Montreal yes here in Gatineau as well but am sure i could show his picture to a lot of people and they would have no idea who he is.

I agree, but in terms of the under armour target audience, I am sure that GSP is a well known name.

As for him being fugly, whatever... I don't think that there are too many objectively good looking guys in mainstream MMA, particularly if you take out those sexy Brazilians like Shogun and Vitor. lol

but seriously, most/all of the North American fighters are pretty ugly and I can't think of (m)any that would be able to compete with GSP in terms of attracting a random (non-MMA groupie) girl at a bar. A lot of the fighters would probably get tazed or maced.

edit, I suppose Huerta could do it if he could pull himself away from the mirror.

Last edited 11/5/09 2:40PM server time by Rush

Post #13   11/5/09 2:38:24PM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:
GSP is a phenom and posibly the best P4P fighter ever.
That is why he gets these major deals.
He is not even in his prime.
I see a major Nike deal or something of that nature in his future, I mean come on he might not have even peaked yet.

Post #14   11/5/09 3:01:54PM   

Drudinh

MMA Sensei

Drudinh Avatar

Career:1,607-1,058
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I have quite a few lady friends who get all kinds of excited when GSP fights. And women like to shop so I think under armour is making a money move right there.

Post #15   11/6/09 3:13:06AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2